Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

I'd immediately lose all respect for Duquette is he made this trade. It makes zero sense for us, kubel is past his prime, doesn't give us much better production that we already have at DH and would cost us our closer??

No freaking thank you.

Hopefully this is just some lazy schmuck trying to make a story out of nothing. This trade would be nothing short of epically bad. Hell, I'd rather just trade Johnson for porcello than get kubel and I'd be totally against that too, but at least it'd make more sense than kubel.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd immediately lose all respect for Duquette is he made this trade. It makes zero sense for us, kubel is past his prime, doesn't give us much better production that we already have at DH and would cost us our closer??

No freaking thank you.

Hopefully this is just some lazy schmuck trying to make a story out of nothing. This trade would be nothing short of epically bad. Hell, I'd rather just trade Johnson for porcello than get kubel and I'd be totally against that too, but at least it'd make more sense than kubel.

The only way dealing for Kubel makes any sense is if Betemit is injured and is likely to miss significant time at the beginning of the year. If that turns out to be the case, I can probably forgive DD. But even if that's the impetus behind the move, this can't be the deal that actually happens- more players would have to be involved. Maybe something like:

Tigers get-

Johnson and Arrieta

Diamondbacks get-

Porcello

Orioles get-

Kubel, Castellanos, and a C prospect from AZ

The Diamondbacks probably get the best value out of the deal, but the Orioles and Tigers don't exactly get shafted either- the Tigers get their closer and maintain some depth of SPs, and the Orioles get the injured Betemit's replacement, a top 3B prospect to take over when Hardy leaves and Manny moves to SS, and another decent but unremarkable prospect of some type.

Of course, if Betemit isn't injured then it makes little sense and we might as well deal with DET directly.

No freaking thank you.

Well, it took 26 posts for me to agree with you about something, but yeah. Gotta be more to it.

I think Upton is coming to Baltimore and as AJ said recently he would like to play here. We have what it takes to obtain him and if Johnson is part of the deal it's okay. He is not going to repeat last season. Trade him while his value is high. If this was the 2011 off season there is no way Johnson would be the key player in a deal for Upton. Putz is Arizona's closer so it's doubtful they want JJ (29) unless they are moving Putz (35) in another deal or want to get younger. I'm sure Arizona would much rather unload Uptons contract and apparently Atlanta is still trying to obtain him to play alongside his brother BJ who they signed as a FA during the off season. I think that would be a mistake for Atlanta. I like Kubel but he is lefthanded and we need a right handed bat. Upton is a right handed hitter so he should be our first choice.

I think Upton is coming to Baltimore and as AJ said recently he would like to play here. We have what it takes to obtain him and if Johnson is part of the deal it's okay. He is not going to repeat last season. Trade him while his value is high. If this was the 2011 off season there is no way Johnson would be the key player in a deal for Upton. Putz is Arizona's closer so it's doubtful they want JJ (29) unless they are moving Putz (35) in another deal or want to get younger. I'm sure Arizona would much rather unload Uptons contract and apparently Atlanta is still trying to obtain him to play alongside his brother BJ who they signed as a FA during the off season. I think that would be a mistake for Atlanta. I like Kubel but he is lefthanded and we need a right handed bat. Upton is a right handed hitter so he should be our first choice.

No way Johnson is a "centerpiece" in a trade for Upton. Upton will bring back the best prospect from the other team or 5 really good prospects.

There's a report in the Atlanta area that the Braves are offering Teheran plus for Upton. I don't think we can come close to matching that, unless we included Bundy. We know that's not happening.

The Braves are in a better position to trade for Upton - even though Teheran is generally overrated.

What Duquette failed to mention is that he "heard" this in a game of Chinese whispers; however, he was the last one in the line so he might have it all wrong. In all seriousness, I'm going to call BS due to the abundance of speculation we've had over the years.

Xavier Avery. And Eat Kubel's contract. And that might not be a great deal.

The D-Backs want to get rid of an outfielder, taking Avery doesn't solve that. It does give them a guy to stash @ AAA, but why would the O's give up a guy with an option when the trade would put them in the same position (enough/too many outfielders?)

I'll pass on Kubel completely. Besides, I like Avery. He has good potential.

If its Jim Johnson maybe the Orioles feel Johnson is becoming to expensive for them as a relief pitcher and rather part with him instead of pay him? I have mild interest in Kubel, i think he is a good complementary bat for a line up, but i'd like his OBP to be a little higher with him taking more walks. Maybe their is someone else involved in the trade, like a minor league player or something to make it worth it.

I'd love to trade Johnson, maybe arrieta or matusz and possibly Avery or another prospect for Upton.

I don't think Arizona will go for it though so it probably won't happen. But man, our lineup would be incredible with Upton hitting in the heart of the order in Camden yards.

I read that the braves are interested in Upton and considering his brother plays there, they would seem to have the upper hand if he gets any say in where he goes.

Interested to see how this all plays out but I sure hope we don't get stuck with kubel!!

On a Hot Stove video (on the orioles main page) Jim Duquette said that he has heard a possible 3 team deal looking like this:

BAL- Kubel

DET-Johnson

AZ-Porcello

Now he didn't say if prospects were involved, he just gave these three names.

I don't like this deal at all, as is.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25564215&c_id=mlb

Nor do I like it. Just say no to Kubel.

Archived