Michael Bourn signs with Cleveland 4 year 48 million

OsnRavensallday

You heard it here first: Nate and Nolan will put up better all around numbers and higher WAR than Bourn by the end of the season. The power, speed, and on base combination those two have really should trump Bourn's speed and contact rate.

In this equation, Bourn starts off with a +1.0 WAR advantage just due to positional adjustments. I'd be ecstatic if Nate+Nolan = 4.0 WAR for the season. I think that is Bourn's floor for this season.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kinda funny b/c last week I read a quote from Mark Lerner where he was talking about the above-highlighted, as it relates to the Nationals and he said, "We have a team that we think is on the brink of something special and we wanted to add a few more parts. I think its just a moment in time." It was in response to the Nationals bumping their payroll up from $80M at the start of last year to around $120M or so at the start of this season. And while I don't think Bourn (or Swisher, or most of the FA's this year) is worth giving up both high dollars and the pick for it did make me think "Boy, when will the O's be willing, if ever, to go out and add those 'few more parts' to really put them over the top because they (the O's) think they're on the brink of something special."

But that said, in Buck and DD I trust. However it's the guy they work for that I don't trust as far as I could throw him.

Again, though, not signing the likes of Bourn or Swisher or even Reynolds aren't causing me to lose any sleep at night.

When Bundy/Gausman = Strasburg/Gio and Manny = Harper.

When Bundy/Gausman = Strasburg/Gio and Manny = Harper.

This is the fundamental truth DD has repeatedly stated he's banking on this entire winter. The whole argument of good vs bad offseason can be summed up in your confidence that the young guys will step up huge.

DD and Buck say yes. Are you on board?

As far as trades go the O's simply valued the depth of their SP over the minimal upgrades they could have gotten on offense over what they already had. They probably would have been ok with giving up one young SP plus, for a bat, but not two or three. Suppose our SP looks good coming out of ST; Matusz, Britton and Arrieta all look ready to step up. If we put together a package of Tillman, Strop, and Schoop, what bat could we acquire?

As far as trades go the O's simply valued the depth of their SP over the minimal upgrades they could have gotten on offense over what they already had. They probably would have been ok with giving up one young SP plus, for a bat, but not two or three. Suppose our SP looks good coming out of ST; Matusz, Britton and Arrieta all look ready to step up. If we put together a package of Tillman, Strop, and Schoop, what bat could we acquire?

Well, I hope they're not banking on making a big deal in the spring because that's not when those type of deals generally happen but the bottom line remains the same, you have to do deals that make sense. You don't do something just because you feel you have to do something. In the judgment of Duquette and Showalter, that deal wasn't there this winter.

I agree with ricowiz , we can't count on Reimold and anything we get from him is a bonus. I see Reimold splitting time in left with Nate , but I don't think he will get to many at bats at DH with Betemit and Canzler/Valencia getting most the AB's there unless Reimold's on fire or something. If Reimold struggles or gets hurt this spring I doubt he even makes the team, we have plenty of guys who are capable of playing LF and DH in his place Hoes,Avery,Canzler,Connor Jackson, Dickerson,etc.

I was at a conference in Florida today and Brian Cashman was the keynote speaker at lunch. Someone asked him about free agency this year. His response was that this was the worst free agent pool in a decade between the marginal talent that was available and the overspending for that talent that was occuring. He said if there was ever a good year to sit out of free agency it was this year.

That made me feel better about our offseason.

He also talked about how he doesn't care about the age of the player. If a guy is 38 and will help him win now he'll take him over a 28 year old with upside potential.

Also mentioned its getting tougher for them to get younger because everyone is locking up their younger players to long term deals so they have shifted to developing their own talent again and they are hesitant to trade any of it.

There was a lot more but I hate typing on my phone so I'll stop there.

I agree with ricowiz , we can't count on Reimold and anything we get from him is a bonus. I see Reimold splitting time in left with Nate , but I don't think he will get to many at bats at DH with Betemit and Canzler/Valencia getting most the AB's there unless Reimold's on fire or something. If Reimold struggles or gets hurt this spring I doubt he even makes the team, we have plenty of guys who are capable of playing LF and DH in his place Hoes,Avery,Canzler,Connor Jackson, Dickerson,etc.

Nate will be in LF.

Reimold will be the DH.

That is our best case scenario and IMO thats a pretty good upgrade over 2012 OD (Reimold in LF / Betemit at DH).

Can't see those three being traded. The trading is more likely at the trade deadline in July when Bundy and/or Gausman are pushing for a starter slot. Then maybe they trade Hammel, who will be a free agent for a hitter that will be a FA but is someone the O's could sign and keep. Or maybe by mid season Arrieta or Matusz have increased their value.

Well, I hope they're not banking on making a big deal in the spring because that's not when those type of deals generally happen but the bottom line remains the same, you have to do deals that make sense. You don't do something just because you feel you have to do something. In the judgment of Duquette and Showalter, that deal wasn't there this winter.
What if they had been willing to trade those thhree this winter? What deal might have been there? What would have been the value of that package?

Can't see those three being traded. The trading is more likely at the trade deadline in July when Bundy and/or Gausman are pushing for a starter slot. Then maybe they trade Hammel, who will be a free agent for a hitter that will be a FA but is someone the O's could sign and keep. Or maybe by mid season Arrieta or Matusz have increased their value.
The PAD's avoided arb with Headley, but they haven't extended him. Maybe they would be interested in that package for him now. He probably is asking too much for them to buy out his FA years, but maybe we could.

Archived