Schoop in the WBC

sportsfan8703

Schoop went 0-3 with 2k's, BB, HBP against Korea. He had a couple of nice plays and looked good on all the routine plays. He had a nice leaping play where he knocked the ball down on a liner then recovered a made the throw to first. He also had a reynolds-esque play running up the first base foul line to make a catch. He struck out the first AB on a slider low and away and adjusted and took that same pitch later on during his BB. It was my first time seeing him play and I can understand the excitement.

The Game got a little strange in the 7th inning. Schoop got hit by a pitch. Later on in the inning there was a force play at the plate with Schoop at 3rd and he slid into the catcher and took his leg out when the catcher was throwing back to first. Basically hit looked as if the hit him on purpose so he took the catchers leg out a couple batters later. Another weird thing was his last K, Korea brought in a pitcher that was literally throwing a "puff ball" and was going to the rosen bag constantly. Every pitch the guy threw was a puff ball. The end of the game was weird and the umpiring during the whole game on the bases was awful. But all in all I think Schoop is going to be good. I also saw that pitcher from Brazil we have Rafael Moreno is on the Brazilian team but didn't pitch in the first game, so he might pitch tonight.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The WBC is awful, plain and simple. There were like 500 people at this game.

I also find it pretty maddening that they aren't broadcasting the games on MLB.tv

Talk about leaving a good portion of your target market out to dry...

The WBC is awful, plain and simple. There were like 500 people at this game.

I agree the attendance is pitiful. I still enjoy the international competition though. I'm sure the attendance will be good in the later rounds though and when teams like the US, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Venezuela play.

Good thing to remember the venue. In the pool that Netherlands is playing, the games are in Taiwan or is it Korea. The games featuring the home country are packed. No one in Taiwan/Korea is interested in seeing Australia play the Netherlands. I'm not a big fan of the WBC but I don't mind it either. I'll watch a game here or there if it's on at a decent hour and features a good matchup.

Yeah, I don't think we can fault Taiwanese people for not wanting to see Australia vs. the Netherlands, or Japanese people for not seeing China vs. Brazil. I caught a bit of a Japan game and the stadium was packed. I think there's plenty of interest outside the US, but the format of playing pool games in one location that is thousands of miles away from some of the involved countries hurts it. Plus if it helps develop baseball in places like Spain and Curacao and Brazil to see their players up against some of the best in the world then I'm all for it.

2 ABs so far against Australia. In the first AB, he executed a sacrifice bunt up the 1st base line to perfection to move the man over from 2nd with no outs. 2nd AB he crushed a 2-0 pitch into the LF seats (325, apparently the park was playing big up until that point) for a 2-run home run with 2 outs.

2 ABs so far against Australia. In the first AB, he executed a sacrifice bunt up the 1st base line to perfection to move the man over from 2nd with no outs. 2nd AB he crushed a 2-0 pitch into the LF seats (325, apparently the park was playing big up until that point) for a 2-run home run with 2 outs.

Schoop goes ya ya! He drove the heck out of that ball too.

Archived