Jason Hammel Today, 2013

OFFNY

I like Hammell, but honestly I don't get how a seasoned veteran starter has such severe mechanical problems one start after having his best game of the season. At some point, it's hard not to conclude that he's simply not reliable, and maybe they need to get somebody they can rely on.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Hammell, but honestly I don't get how a seasoned veteran starter has such severe mechanical problems one start after having his best game of the season. At some point, it's hard not to conclude that he's simply not reliable, and maybe they need to get somebody they can rely on.
\

Last year is looking more and more like an anomaly for Hammell. It's not so much that he is a different pitcher this year. It's that he was a different pitcher last year. His WHIP this year is only a little worse than his career WHIP.

The FO has got to be thinking about getting a starter at some point if they want a legitimate chance this year.

\

Last year is looking more and more like an anomaly for Hammell. It's not so much that he is a different pitcher this year. It's that he was a different pitcher last year. His WHIP this year is only a little worse than his career WHIP.

The FO has got to be thinking about getting a starter at some point if they want a legitimate chance this year.

I'm someone who really believed in him and was very patient with him. But at this point, even I am starting to think we have what we have. Not the #2 Starter from last year, but a #5.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. TIGERS, 6/01)

IP:. 3 - PLUS *

H:o 5

R:O 5

BB: 3 **

SO: 0

Pitches: 63 (32 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.43

* Hammel was ejected from the game while pitching in the 4th inning.

** Hammel also had 1 hit batsman.

Sometimes and I know that they have a job to keep people safe, but when you want to hit someone you do not throw at the head and you do not throw a breaking ball. So not only do we get screwed out of 1-2 more innings of Hammel (even if it was a loss), but this game could easily have a major impact on the pitchers used tomorrow.

You do throw a breaking ball if you are trying to mask your intentions. Everybody and his brother, including the HP umpire, knew that Tuiasosopo was going to get nailed. Hammel is lucky that he didn't get his butt kicked but Tuiasosopo said after the game that he didn't want to get into trouble (for charging the mound).

You do throw a breaking ball if you are trying to mask your intentions. Everybody and his brother, including the HP umpire, knew that Tuiasosopo was going to get nailed. Hammel is lucky that he didn't get his butt kicked but Tuiasosopo said after the game that he didn't want to get into trouble (for charging the mound).

Like I said before, who practices throwing shoulder high sliders? When is that ever a pitch that will be used? You expect me to believe that he is clearly missing his spots by a significant margin all game but can throw a shoulder high slider within an inch of where he wants to put it?

I don't care what you believe. Believe what you like. I think he threw at him and he didn't care where he hit him. And anybody who didn't expect Tuiasosopo was going to get popped is kidding himself. It's what pitchers do. It's not a big deal and it's been happening since the inception of baseball. Regardless of what Bordick said, the Orioles aren't above it.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. D-RAYS, 6/07)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 6

R:O 2

BB: 2

SO: 3

Pitches: 105 (63 Strikes, 42 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.18

PITCHES BY INNINGS

22 (14 Strikes, 8 Balls)

91 (51 Strikes, 4 Balls)

17 (81 Strikes, 9 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (71 Strikes, 6 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 5 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls) *

* Hammel retired 2 batters in the 7th inning before departing.

Solid but not great. The offense should have done more for him.

Meh, he was more than solid. He was good. But you don't get many wins when the offense scores only one.

Unfortunately Hammel needed to be perfect tonight. Still, I would take another dozen starts like this one.

He keeps pitching like that, and we'll win more than we lose. Just an unfortunate outcome due to a terrible approach by our offense. Way too aggressive against a pitcher who really has been horrible while in the majors.

I think being the best offense in the league has given them a big head. They believe they can hit anything and be impatient.

Archived