12 (71 Strikes, 51 Balls)

91 (88 Strikes, 11 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 61 Balls)

26 (15 Strikes, 11 Balls)

* Gausman's Career AAA-Debut

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when you consider that he is a #4 overall pick and you look at the instant success that

Harvey & Wheeler for Mets

Cole for Pirates

Shelby Miller for Cardinals

have had. I hope that Gausman can figure it out but I'm not very impressed at this point.

Zach Wheeler started his pro career in 2010 and is 1 year older. He also has a whopping ONE major league start, in which he walked 5 batters. Harvey threw 76 innings in 2011 and is 2 years older. Cole started in 2011, is older than Kevin, and has a whopping 3 strikeouts in TWO major league starts. Miller, who is older, threw over 300 innings in the minors before making his first major league start.

But no, you're right. We should probably trade him. Is Juan Uribe on a roster? We could probably get him, maybe if we throw in Bundy or Hunter Harvey.

Early days, those other pitchers spent longer in the minors. I think it was a gamble to promote him that could have paid off. But lets not forget in his last game he allowed 2 runs against Boston and 1 against Detroit, two very good teams so it wasn't all negative. Just needs a little more time. Justin Verlander had a ERA of over 7 after his first two starts, but stupidly was given another chance the next season ;)

when you consider that he is a #4 overall pick and you look at the instant success that

Harvey & Wheeler for Mets

Cole for Pirates

Shelby Miller for Cardinals

have had. I hope that Gausman can figure it out but I'm not very impressed at this point.

What is hard to take? These kids pitching on the college level are not ready to pitch in the majors. The fact that he even made it to the bigs in his first real season with the Orioles. Did any of those guys make it to the big leagues in the first season in the minors? I am VERY impressed with Gausman's natural stuff (Power Arm and Movement), but it is location (spotting the FB) that needs some work. He might not be an ace, but I feel that if he can spot that fastball and learn to throw a third pitch (slider, curve, splitter) at league average or better than he will be a star. I have seen or heard anything about Harvey, Wheeler, Miller or Cole to think that Gausman is not in the same class.

it is too bad that everyone gets put under a microscope in today's culture. KG just needs time to develop and try things that will make him a better pitcher. Good HS and college pitchers do not get to work on things that they need to to succeed at the pro level. At the lower levels their SO rates are higher, do not have to rely much on secondary pitches as much, do not have to pitch from the stretch as much and other things. For many the "first" time living away from structure of family(remember dorms and campus life), adjusting to different influences, cultures, food choices can be daunting too. Growing up is a difficult process, maybe even harder when being a "star" athlete as a youngster you are treated special. Now the star is with other stars and not as special. In today's world of instant gratification we expect too much way to soon from these kids. I am sure the undue early pressure ruins a fair percentage of these kids. Patience is the key.

• 2 weeks later...

Gausman's first career win as a major league pitcher. :)

KEVIN GAUSMAN O (vs. YANKEES, 6/28) *

IP:. 4.33 O(WIN) **

H:o 3

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 4

Pitches: 55 (36 Strikes, 19 Balls)

2013 ERA: 6.52

* Gausman's Career Major League Debut as a Reliever

** Gausman entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and two outs.

Gausman was money tonight. Came into a game that could easily have gotten out of control early and gave the boys the chance to get back into it and eventually win. Can't ask for much more in that situation.

On the postgame interview with Manfra, he talked about how when he went down to the minors after his initial taste of the big leagues, he quickly identified what adjustments he needed to make and worked hard on them and quickly took care of it.

Here's hoping this is the start of a good stretch for him. He looked great tonight.

On the postgame interview with Manfra, he talked about how when he went down to the minors after his initial taste of the big leagues, he quickly identified what adjustments he needed to make and worked hard on them and quickly took care of it.

Here's hoping this is the start of a good stretch for him. He looked great tonight.

Cool. :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking (and hoping), too.

I posted this in the game thread, right after he finished off the Yankees in the 7th inning:

Gausman came back from 2-0 and a 3-1 counts in that plate appearance to Vernon Wells just now, hung in there, and got the fly ball out.

Now, he has 4.33 scoreless innings after coming into a game in a pretty dire situation (runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs, and a 3-0 deficit in the 3rd inning.)

I'm hoping that he is growing up right before our very eyes in his second stint in the majors. :)

So, no inherited runners score when he comes in to relieve and he gets his first win. Not a bad day.

Now, have some visine for the burning sensation in your eyes from the shaving cream pie. You've earned it. :thumbsup1:

Archived