Kevin Gausman Today, 2013

OFFNY

Let's investigate, shall we.

Here is Steve Melewski before the season started:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/02/kevin-gausman-on-his-innings-limit-high-expectations-and-powdered-donuts.html

He estimated the cap for Gausman this year to be in the 160 to 180 IP range (he threw 141.2 last year).

So far in 2013 Gausman has thrown 33.1 in the majors and 74 so far in the minors. That totals 107.1 so far in 2013.

That leaves him with somewhere in the 50-70 innings range for the rest of this year. So it seems to me that that's EXACTLY what they're doing with him. We need him to have room left in the tank for the stretch run in September and hopefully October as well. If he starts going 6-7 innings in a start now, he'll be basically cooked by the end of September. So it seems like things are roughly right on target at the moment.

UPDATE on this, 3 weeks later:

It's 8/28 and Kevin Gausman is at the 115 IP mark for the year (combined between MLB and minors).

The pre-season target for him for this year was supposed to be in the 160-180 range. Obviously if we make the playoffs that target becomes easier to attain but at the present time it looks like Buck will need to use Kevin kind of aggressively to get to that innings target to stretch him out more leading into 2014.

He needs to throw at least another 45 innings to get to 160 and no Orioles pitcher has ever thrown more than 37 innings in a single calendar month this year.

hmmmmmmm, kinda head scratching to me

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UPDATE on this, 3 weeks later:

It's 8/28 and Kevin Gausman is at the 115 IP mark for the year (combined between MLB and minors).

The pre-season target for him for this year was supposed to be in the 160-180 range. Obviously if we make the playoffs that target becomes easier to attain but at the present time it looks like Buck will need to use Kevin kind of aggressively to get to that innings target to stretch him out more leading into 2014.

He needs to throw at least another 45 innings to get to 160 and no Orioles pitcher has ever thrown more than 37 innings in a single calendar month this year.

hmmmmmmm, kinda head scratching to me

That was a preseason target. Now that the year has progressed to the point where it's become likely Gausman will have more value down the stretch as a major league reliever that can be re-evaluated.

There are many things we should have been doing during the past two months to get ready for 2014.

We and I mean DD and the O's deluded themselves into thinking they were a playoff team and did nothing.

We should have promoted Wada & Britton, instead of signing Feldman & Norris

We should have had a full season of Flaherty, instead of allowing BRob to have his 14th losing season as an Oriole.

We should have started Machado 20 games at SS moved Hardy to DH (during those games), and played Schoop at DH.

We should have anyone with initials not JJ close games.

We should have rested(benched) Markakis and let Hoes and Urutia get solid playing time.

We are already behind on 2014... and another offseason like last year will get the O's right back in 5th place in the AL East

KEVIN GAUSMAN O (vs. INDIANS, 9/04)

IP:. 2.67 *

H:o 3

R:O 2

BB: 2 **

SO: 3

Pitches: 47 (24 Strikes, 23 Balls) *** 43 (24 Strikes, 19 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.77

* Gausman entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and one out.

** 1 of the Walks was Intentional

*** Minus the Intentional Walk

One run lead against the Yankees, middle of a playoff race, in September (rosters have expanded).

Buck says "Give me the rookie."

Um what????

Buck S planning to go with Gausman for the long haul with the game on the line speaks volumes, VOLUMES, about the level of confidence he has on the veterans in the bullpen right now.

It's somewhere in the vicinity of zero.

Archived