Jake Arrieta goes all Jen Royle on twitter. Is this why he fails? Little self control?

Gurgi

I have no problems with Jake on twitter, no big deal. The real problem he isnt a major league pitcher and likely never will be. He needs to be dealt for his good and the teams in a package.

I never quite understood the idea that you trade someone at the very bottom of their value. At best Arrieta is a little sweetener in a larger deal. I think you have a better chance at fixing him or moving him to a different role than getting value from another team for him.

And can we go back to talking about Old Hoss Radbourne? I love technology as much as the next engineer, but I really, truly couldn't care less about what Jake Arrieta says on twitter.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never quite understood the idea that you trade someone at the very bottom of their value. At best Arrieta is a little sweetener in a larger deal. I think you have a better chance at fixing him or moving him to a different role than getting value from another team for him.

And can we go back to talking about Old Hoss Radbourne? I love technology as much as the next engineer, but I really, truly couldn't care less about what Jake Arrieta says on twitter.

Arrieta isn't at the bottom of his value. One day he will have no value at all. I never understood the theory that you should hold on to something that doens't have much value. Like people who buy stock at 40 and it goes down to 4 dollars a share and they say they can't sell it becuase it doesn't have much value. 4 dollars is better than nothing. And if a stock was 40 once and now it is 4 most likely there is a legitimate reason for this being the case. Same with Arrieta. His value is low for a reason. Other teams don't see much value in him.

We as a society have to figure out how to navigate social media when it comes to this stuff. It's real easy to fault guys like Adam Jones and Jake Arrieta for not turning the other cheek, but on what planet is it acceptable to hurl personal insults in a public forum? Someone in this thread mentioned that Arrieta's probably arguing with 13 year old kids. Rather than point the finger at Jake, I want to know why a 13-year-old (or whatever) is running unchecked by a parent on Twitter. My wife and I snoop like crazy on my 14-year-old son's social media activity. Just a few weeks ago two kids from my son's high school were trolling Adam Jones on Twitter. My son mentioned it so I checked it out, and it wasn't anything horrifying or graphic, but things were said that no teenager should say to an adult. When I told my son that it wasn't appropriate, I was disappointed at his, "What? It's just Twitter", attitude. I told him that the medium is irrelevant...whether it's e-mail, text, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, face-to-face, or whatever, no kid should speak to an adult like that.

When I first got involved with the Orioles Hangout, Tony gave me some really good advice about the job that I've applied to my interactions on the internet across the board. "Don't write anything or post anything to the message board that you wouldn't be willing to say to the guy's face." I'd love to see how brazen Arrieta's Twitter trolls would be without the security afforded them by the internet and their iPhone/PC/etc. Mine might be a caveman type of a mindset, but I think if you throw the potential legal issues out of the picture, the troll should ask himself, "Do I need to say this so bad that I'm willing to get punched in the face for it?"

Great post, and so true. I have a 21 year old college student daughter and I still check up on her social media stuffs from time to time. I have always subscribed to the thought of if you wouldn't say it to someone's face then don't say it at all, and I follow that rule. I wish more Internet bullies or e-thugs would take that advice, and no matter how even keeled you may be, at some point we all take the troll bait. Its easy to hide behind the anonymity of the Web, and not have to worry about explaining why your two front teeth are gone when you go to work/school on Monday etc.

Oh well, Internet drama will always be here, my 2 year old isn't getting any technology until high school lol.

Great post, and so true. I have a 21 year old college student daughter and I still check up on her social media stuffs from time to time. I have always subscribed to the thought of if you wouldn't say it to someone's face then don't say it at all, and I follow that rule. I wish more Internet bullies or e-thugs would take that advice, and no matter how even keeled you may be, at some point we all take the troll bait. Its easy to hide behind the anonymity of the Web, and not have to worry about explaining why your two front teeth are gone when you go to work/school on Monday etc.

Oh well, Internet drama will always be here, my 2 year old isn't getting any technology until high school lol.

I actually went to middle school with the two main kids he was arguing with and still have some mutual friends (I'm in college) but Baltimore's a small town. Anyone can say anything over twitter and i think in this case they were getting a real thrill out of getting under his skin.

On one hand I hate it, but on the other hand its not unhealthy for someone with Arrieta's makeup to hear things like that once in a while. Give him a little more of an edge, remind him that hes in a performance based industry and potential isn't gonna cut it. He should be embarrassed with his performance and needs to figure out a way to make it right.

I'm always amazed how much people care about what other people, they will never meet, think.

No offense, I love this site, but it's almost impossible for anyone on this board to upset me personally by posting something.

And why do people follow Jake or any celebrity? The only time I give Jake any thought at all is when he is on the mound. Once he leaves the field I have no interest in him or what he does.

We as a society have to figure out how to navigate social media when it comes to this stuff. It's real easy to fault guys like Adam Jones and Jake Arrieta for not turning the other cheek, but on what planet is it acceptable to hurl personal insults in a public forum? Someone in this thread mentioned that Arrieta's probably arguing with 13 year old kids. Rather than point the finger at Jake, I want to know why a 13-year-old (or whatever) is running unchecked by a parent on Twitter. My wife and I snoop like crazy on my 14-year-old son's social media activity. Just a few weeks ago two kids from my son's high school were trolling Adam Jones on Twitter. My son mentioned it so I checked it out, and it wasn't anything horrifying or graphic, but things were said that no teenager should say to an adult. When I told my son that it wasn't appropriate, I was disappointed at his, "What? It's just Twitter", attitude. I told him that the medium is irrelevant...whether it's e-mail, text, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, face-to-face, or whatever, no kid should speak to an adult like that.

When I first got involved with the Orioles Hangout, Tony gave me some really good advice about the job that I've applied to my interactions on the internet across the board. "Don't write anything or post anything to the message board that you wouldn't be willing to say to the guy's face." I'd love to see how brazen Arrieta's Twitter trolls would be without the security afforded them by the internet and their iPhone/PC/etc. Mine might be a caveman type of a mindset, but I think if you throw the potential legal issues out of the picture, the troll should ask himself, "Do I need to say this so bad that I'm willing to get punched in the face for it?"

So you mean the guy who goes on 105.7 The Fan somewhat regularly, and calls himself the best Baltimore Sports blog shouldn't have made this tweet a few minutes ago?

I honestly hate you @RFlaherty3

So you mean the guy who goes on 105.7 The Fan somewhat regularly, and calls himself the best Baltimore Sports blog shouldn't have made this tweet a few minutes ago?

Uh...no. Telling a player straight up that you hate them is just so childish and immature.

Uh...no. Telling a player straight up that you hate them is just so childish and immature.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, because obviously this is the case.

This guy is an embarrassment to the Baltimore sports blogging community. Everything from his name, to how he lives his name. Just a microcosm of what's wrong with society in a lot of ways, IMHO.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, because obviously this is the case.

This guy is an embarrassment to the Baltimore sports blogging community. Everything from his name, to how he lives his name. Just a microcosm of what's wrong with society in a lot of ways, IMHO.

Ah...I can see the sarcasm now that you mention it. Oops.

I love technology as much as the next engineer, but I really, truly couldn't care less about what Jake Arrieta says on twitter.

You don't happen to also love taking resumes from graduating chemical engineers who really, really would like a job, would you?

Theoretically speaking. :laughlol:

Moving back to Old Hoss Radbourn for a sec, there's an interesting book about his 59-win season that's worth a read. Actually, I have a copy that I'd be happy to pass along to anyone--feel free to PM me.

Twitter can be a great tool. Justin Verlander has regularly given out tickets to followers, and it's a fun bonding tool. When used correctly.

Archived