Jake Arrieta goes all Jen Royle on twitter. Is this why he fails? Little self control?

Gurgi

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know. Twitter is the devil.

So I just explained to my parents (the younger of the two is 69) what Twitter is. I started with "Twitter is the devil," because I've already had to deal with several issues in managing teenagers that would've been nothing a few years ago... before Twitter.

In this case, I just read the 'Tweets' and don't see that Arrieta has done anything wrong. He was careful of his wording... which means he wasn't particularly tilted by the trolls. Everyone finds it difficult to resist responding to trolls; why should he be any different? He used a few 'names' directed at those who shouldn't be offended by those names, as they were tame compared to what could be said about them. Arrieta appears to have been in control of his emotions. I'm sure the Orioles organization would prefer that players don't get into this stuff, but this is nothing.

Just looked up his stats. Hoss was a boss! 59 wins in 1884.

And as he occasionally reminds us, the award for best pitching each season is named after the guy with the most career wins.

Edit: Yeah, that season must have been something. O.H.R. started every game after a certain point in the season, because he beat up his team's other starting pitcher during a brawl.

So I just explained to my parents (the younger of the two is 69) what Twitter is. I started with "Twitter is the devil," because I've already had to deal with several issues in managing teenagers that would've been nothing a few years ago... before Twitter.

In this case, I just read the 'Tweets' and don't see that Arrieta has done anything wrong. He was careful of his wording... which means he wasn't particularly tilted by the trolls. Everyone finds it difficult to resist responding to trolls; why should he be any different? He used a few 'names' directed at those who shouldn't be offended by those names, as they were tame compared to what could be said about them. Arrieta appears to have been in control of his emotions. I'm sure the Orioles organization would prefer that players don't get into this stuff, but this is nothing.

I did the same, read through what Jake said, nothing to get worried about, in fact, he came across as quite articulate and sometimes you have let off some steam, perhaps, it may aid his psyche, letting go of the pressure.

You are the problem. Nothing better to do than follow and post tweets. REALLY? Who needs to grow up? Look in the mirror.

Uh what else is there to do at nearly 2am? Or ever hear of multi-tasking? People can use their free time however they want & Twitter is a good breaking news outlet & perfect time killer. The site has over 500 million users for a reason. It's not like he's the one trolling Jake. He's just reading tweets that pop up because he follows him (him being a player for his favorite team.) Not REALLY seeing the issue you have with him or people like him.

It can be a great social tool for athletes to personally interact with fans where normally they wouldn't ever have that opportunity, but it's how these athletes/celebrities/etc. choose to respond to us as "fans" is the real issue. Yes, there are many people whose sole purpose in life are to be online d-bags & spend all their free time trolling whoever bites & obviously some are successful at it. Those are also the problem people. But blocking & ignoring them is an easy enough fix. Though I do wish there was a common sense training seminar that should be mandatory before people are allowed to Tweet as well. But mocking someone for using a hugely popular social interaction site is just showing ignorance or how out of touch a person can be today.

Archived