Meltdown thread

crowmst3k!

This run of losses stings for sure. But not as much as the blown save against the Yanks in the ALDS.

That was last season. Past history. So I don't care. I wAnt this team to win 2013.

I want them to straighten things out. I know there are injuries but every team has

those. But there just seems like there is something else going on. Loss of focus?

whatever is going on I will be glad when Buck and or DD get the team back on

track. IMO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll add option "C," losing Friday to a starting pitcher who has this line 7.2IP, 10H, 8 ER.

That didn't bother me that much. The only reason he was left in that long is because we were down by 8 runs and Tampa's pen has been used a lot lately. Closer game and they aren't asking that much out of him.

That was last season. Past history. So I don't care. I wAnt this team to win 2013.

I want them to straighten things out. I know there are injuries but every team has

those. But there just seems like there is something else going on. Loss of focus?

whatever is going on I will be glad when Buck and or DD get the team back on

track. IMO

I don't see any loss of focus. I thought we played a very poor game overall on Wednesday but I see a focused team. We are scoring plenty of runs, defense has been solid, it's just that our starting pitching has been brutal and it coincides with our closer going into a slump at the same time.

As great as Jim has been. His giving up lots of hits once and twice in a while are a drawback in not having a strike out closer. They always get the bat on the ball. Throw in somemore K's and the odds of a string of hits goes down.

And walks kill

I guess this is as good a thread as any to say this. But this is what bugs me about the Orioles organizational plan.

If ownership is unwilling to spend on high-end starting pitching and developmentally, they are unable to "grow the arms," does this not put the Orioles at a pretty large competitive disadvantage when compared to every other team within our division? If New York, Boston and Toronto can spend, draft and develop better than the O's, and Tampa Bay continues to draft and develop at such a high level, where does that leave the O's in terms of sustainable success?

We saw how much had to go right last year to win, and with this young positional core and bullpen, it can happen again. But there seems to be so little room for error, both in terms of a year-to-year and long term outlook.

I guess this is as good a thread as any to say this. But this is what bugs me about the Orioles organizational plan.

If ownership is unwilling to spend on high-end starting pitching and developmentally, they are unable to "grow the arms," does this not put the Orioles at a pretty large competitive disadvantage when compared to every other team within our division? If New York, Boston and Toronto can spend, draft and develop better than the O's, and Tampa Bay continues to draft and develop at such a high level, where does that leave the O's in terms of sustainable success?

We saw how much had to go right last year to win, and with this young positional core and bullpen, it can happen again. But there seems to be so little room for error, both in terms of a year-to-year and long term outlook.

Great post.

This is who they want to be and last season basically gives them the right to try again even though many knew the issues that lied ahead.

So Duquette can either hope that the ship rights itself or he can go out and try to bring in some reinforcements. However unlike last year I don't see the ship righting itself. Especially not with Boston back in the mix and Tampa coming on hot.

Hate to say it but this is what happens when you use a committee of so-so pitchers to fill your 5th spot in the rotation. That can work but as soon as you lose one of the other 4 starter your now using a committee of boderline MLB pitchers to fill 2 spots in your rotation...not good.

If Pete was not so busy crying poor mouth to screw the Nats out of TV money we could have easily signed a SP who could have solidified that #5 spot and instead of the motley crue of faildom filling two spots in the rotation it would have been just one

How many starters has Showalter used so far this season? I lost track after 9. Was Jurrjens the 10th?

Worse than mothers day massacre?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Nah, this started as s save situation. Even if we're in a better place with our overall attitude about the teams chances right now than we were back then (in general), it's hard for me classify losing a 2 run lead (even if there was piling on after) in the same category of the meltdown that was the MDM. I mean even if the overall attitude now makes this kind of loss seem completely unforgivable, what happened back then is still worse to me. The Rays hit through that game, and the Os flirted with danger all game with them. Mid game, it felt like a game we'd need 10 to win. There was someone there for the Hangout game that even SAID that. MDM they entered the ninth with Guts throwing a 3 hit shut out, and we were up 5 runs. The same one out was achieved. So, in comparison, now the Orioles had to get 2 outs before the other team could get 2 and 5 runs, respectively. A team that had been hitting proceeded to get 3+. A team that had not proceeded to get 6. As far as meltdowns in the 9th go, yesterday was incredibly frustrating in context, but the MDM was eeeeepic.

Jurrjens can at least stick as a reliever. He looked VERY good at points, yesterday. He knows how to pitch, his fastball just has to be very precise because the VELO is unimpressive.

Def. First two innings he was sharp, and racked up 4 strikeouts. Then it was a wire walk with danger until they got to Hunter. I was nicely surprised he lasted as long as he did, though.

I wonder if it's at all possible to properly treat whatever ails Jurrjens and get his velocity back to 90-92 consistently. Maybe an offseason with Brady? He has such good stuff and can locate a FB like a boss. An uptick in VELO and he'd be dominant.

I assume no, because the Braves would have not cut bait had he been "fixable".

Archived