Gausman being called up?????

barellano

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the move. He may not be the best pitcher of the team to begin with but I think he will hold his own. Tillman, Gonzalez and Chen may be better in the near term. Once Chen is back Hammel may be fighting with Wada for the fifth spot in the rotation. That would be a good thing.

If Gausman is shut down in Sept and sent to the minors to save MLB service time, Buck uses the roster very different once the roster expands. Buck can manage that very well.

Remember all the doubters when Machado was called up? This might be the shot in the arm the team needs.

Pitching is different than hitting because young pitchers have to have their innings and pitches monitored closely. It's not as easy as saying if Machado can do it, so can Gausman. Saying that, he's got major league stuff but most importantly, over his last four starts he's allowed less hits which means he's making less mistakes in the middle of the plate. that was his main issue earlier in the year. Hopefully he's using his slider more. As good as his fastball changeup combo is, I'd like to see him be able to throw that slider in any count as well.

Should be interesting. He's got all the stuff to be successful up here, but it will be interesting to see if this is for one start or the long haul.

If Gausman is shut down in Sept and sent to the minors to save MLB service time, Buck uses the roster very different once the roster expands. Buck can manage that very well.

I'll be very disappointed in the Orioles if they're as bad at managing innings limits and service time as the Nats were with Strasburg. It's still inconcievable to me that they shut down their ace in the middle of a pennant race and through the playoffs because they couldn't figure out how to limit his innings earlier in the year.

If Gausman and the Orioles are good the rest of the year (and of course that's still an if) I expect him to pitch through the end of the season, playoffs included.

Remember all the doubters when Machado was called up? This might be the shot in the arm the team needs.

As Tony said, pitchers aren't hitters.

Also, I'd caution against using outliers as a typical case. Manny far outperformed expectations, he played about as well as a teenager in the majors as he had in AA. I'm sure there were doubters when the A's called up Gio Gonzalez at 22, and, well, he allowed 29 earned in 34 innings.

But having said that... I'm good with the decision to call up Gausman.

I'll be very disappointed in the Orioles if they're as bad at managing innings limits and service time as the Nats were with Strasburg. It's still inconcievable to me that they shut down their ace in the middle of a pennant race and through the playoffs because they couldn't figure out how to limit his innings earlier in the year.

If Gausman and the Orioles are good the rest of the year (and of course that's still an if) I expect him to pitch through the end of the season, playoffs included.

With Chen out and Hammel not pitching like he did the 1st half of last year, the O's need some one to step up and be a decent starter. Not an ace at this point. Just a good starter. That is why Gausman now. The O's need to stay in the race. Once Chen is back and they know what Wada can do for them they will be in a better situation if Gausman has used up him innings and has to be shut him down. I would not be disappointed with that at all.

Stuff happens throughout the season and the ability to react to it is the sign of a good organization. I think that is what we are seeing with Gausman's call up.

I am a loyal o's fan through and through but I cannot put my faith behind the decision to bring up Gausman at this point. He is not dominating AA and has not even went to aaa yet. How does the eligibility thing work out anyway, i thought they;d wait and bring him up this or next September. I realize people are gonna bash me and say he;s the face of the future and blah blah, well when they burn him out we are going to look like fools. I think they need to give 2nd and 3rd starts to guys like Johnson, Britton, and Jurrjens before we screw up our future.

Well I can understand how you feel. But I guess the powers that be think he can

help the rotation. Hope he can. It will be exciting if he pitches a good game. Yes

there is a big difference in AA and major league hitters. But I will cheer my butt

off for him.

Pitching is different than hitting because young pitchers have to have their innings and pitches monitored closely. It's not as easy as saying if Machado can do it, so can Gausman. Saying that, he's got major league stuff but most importantly, over his last four starts he's allowed less hits which means he's making less mistakes in the middle of the plate. that was his main issue earlier in the year. Hopefully he's using his slider more. As good as his fastball changeup combo is, I'd like to see him be able to throw that slider in any count as well.

Should be interesting. He's got all the stuff to be successful up here, but it will be interesting to see if this is for one start or the long haul.

As Tony said, pitchers aren't hitters.

Also, I'd caution against using outliers as a typical case. Manny far outperformed expectations, he played about as well as a teenager in the majors as he had in AA. I'm sure there were doubters when the A's called up Gio Gonzalez at 22, and, well, he allowed 29 earned in 34 innings.

But having said that... I'm good with the decision to call up Gausman.

I am excited for Thursday. Dan Duquette telegraphed this move quite a while back.

It's also implicitly a decision about the other starting pitcher possibilities in the O's system or obtainable from other teams. I assume they have decided, after looks not only this year, but also in spring training and last season, that Arrieta, Britton, McFarland, Matusz, Stinson, Clark, and Jurrjens are either currently not capable enough or too valuable in their present long relief roles to be assigned a turn--or long-term slot?--in the rotation.

I am a loyal o's fan through and through but I cannot put my faith behind the decision to bring up Gausman at this point. He is not dominating AA and has not even went to aaa yet. How does the eligibility thing work out anyway, i thought they;d wait and bring him up this or next September. I realize people are gonna bash me and say he;s the face of the future and blah blah, well when they burn him out we are going to look like fools. I think they need to give 2nd and 3rd starts to guys like Johnson, Britton, and Jurrjens before we screw up our future.

Britton, Johnson and Jurrjens did not look like they deserved a second or third start. They need more time get their command. Gausman has great command. Britton walked five in his last start Gausman has walked five all year.

If he does well, will they suddenly thrust him into a five-man rotation, even though he's never pitched on four days rest? Or, will they jump through hoops to keep him on his current schedule?

His first four starts at Bowie this year were made on four days rest. The last two were on 5 days rest. I wouldn't think that having him pitch on four days rest the first two or three times through the rotation would be a huge concern. Good chance they give him some extra rest around off days whenever they can (assuming he stays in the rotation) to limit his innings a little and keep him fresh, but that's it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gausma001kev&type=pgl&year=2013

Archived