Yasiel Puig

Moose Milligan

Should Puig be in the AS Game?

They have started a write-in campaign here on the local radio to gin up support, but I wondered what the thinking is here with all the debate about the game itself being a popularity contest. He hasn't played that many games but has certainly made an impact.

Thoughts?

Here's an ESPN debate on the subject.

I'm not sure. He would add to the entertainment of the game, and he appears to have the talent level to deserve the All Star title.

But there is already an overabundance of qualified NL outfielders. Check out this list of candidates:

Carlos Gomez

Carlos Gonzalez

Andrew McCutchen

Carlos Beltran

Dominic Brown

Michael Cuddyer

Dexter Fowler

Gerardo Parra

Jay Bruce

Justin Upton

Shin-Soo Choo

Hunter Pence

Those guys have all arguably had All Star worthy seasons, so it will be tough to put Puig in with so many good options that have played the full season.

Here's an ESPN debate on the subject.

I'm not sure. He would add to the entertainment of the game, and he appears to have the talent level to deserve the All Star title.

But there is already an overabundance of qualified NL outfielders. Check out this list of candidates:

Carlos Gomez

Carlos Gonzalez

Andrew McCutchen

Carlos Beltran

Dominic Brown

Michael Cuddyer

Dexter Fowler

Gerardo Parra

Jay Bruce

Justin Upton

Shin-Soo Choo

Hunter Pence

Those guys have all arguably had All Star worthy seasons, so it will be tough to put Puig in with so many good options that have played the full season.

I agree. The ASG is always a compromise between putting the best exhibition on for the fans and awarding achievement over the first half of the season. I would not be upset if he played, but there is a long list of deserving folks in front of him.

I don't get the Puig for the all star team argument. Yes, he's come out on fire, but IMO the all star game should be a reward for an excellent first half (I realize the voting makes this not always the criteria, but in theory that's what its for), not an excellent 100 AB's. If a guy starts off the year batting .190 or something, and then goes 44 for his next 100, are we talking about putting him in the all star game?

Puig is an exciting player but to take a spot away from somebody on the list above, for him, would be unfair.

My guess is they stick him on the fan vote final roster spot thing (do they still do that) and let the fans vote him in. Which I still don't agree with, but at least then it's the fans saying they want him.

Archived