Will the reporters press Buck on bringing in Strop?

waroriole

Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>So far this season, Strop has let 5 of 11 inherited runners score. He's got 2 today to deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">June 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was of course before he let the two score today.

And as much as I like Roch, will he bring that stat and point to Buck's attention in the presser... NOPE.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're asking him some pretty direct questions about it. Pleasantly surprised.

Buck says there were 2-3 guys he wasn't going to use today.

And why was that? Because he used JJ last night when MG had plenty left. But I doubt that will be asked.

They're asking him some pretty direct questions about it. Pleasantly surprised.

Buck says there were 2-3 guys he wasn't going to use today.

2-3 guys out of 7.

I'm guessing he definitely wasn't using Johnson and Hunter.

That leaves: O'Day, Strop, Patton, Matusz, and McFarland

2-3 guys out of 7.

I'm guessing he definitely wasn't using Johnson and Hunter.

That leaves: O'Day, Strop, Patton, Matusz, and McFarland

Yeah, that would be my bet. I'm guessing he was saving O'Day to pitch the 9th, so he hoped he could get through the 7th and 8th with some combination of Strop and Matusz. That also probably explains why he left Hammel in as long as he did -- he was really hoping Hammel could get him through 7.

So you bring in O'Day in the 7th and if he gets out of it, you bring Matusz and then Hunter to close, and then you have neither tomorrow when we'll most likely need all hands on deck. Does any one remember Sam Perlozzo and his one inning at a time pen that was fried by mid May?

Yeah, that would be my bet. I'm guessing he was saving O'Day to pitch the 9th, so he hoped he could get through the 7th and 8th with some combination of Strop and Matusz. That also probably explains why he left Hammel in as long as he did -- he was really hoping Hammel could get him through 7.

He's probably saving McFarland for long relief. That said if O'Day is saved for the 9th, I think at that point you need to go with the pecking order. That leaves Matusz, Patton, and Strop. Patton is certainly a multiple inning guy...and while he's struggled he doesn't really completely melt down a la Strop. You go Patton for at least an inning..he can certainly go 2 if need be.

So you bring in O'Day in the 7th and if he gets out of it, you bring Matusz and then Hunter to close, and then you have neither tomorrow when we'll most likely need all hands on deck. Does any one remember Sam Perlozzo and his one inning at a time pen that was fried by mid May?

So you're telling me O'Day wasn't going to pitch at all today? By all logic he was going to be the "closer" today. If Hunter and Johnson were off limits (As well as McFarland) there are other options to get the job done before Strop.

And you think this was a a poor decision? I think a lot of managers manage to win the series and save their pen when possible. We'd won this series. Sure would be nice to have some horses for BOS. Be great to at least have a chance to win that series. It's not like today's game was the last game of the WS.

Or you let Strop come in without runners on in the 9th.

Better to let him try for the "save" then to bring him in with a 2 on 0 outs situation.

He's probably saving McFarland for long relief. That said if O'Day is saved for the 9th, I think at that point you need to go with the pecking order. That leaves Matusz, Patton, and Strop. Patton is certainly a multiple inning guy...and while he's struggled he doesn't really completely melt down a la Strop. You go Patton for at least an inning..he can certainly go 2 if need be.

Patton has looked terrible for about a month now. He pitched well today -- after the game was already out of hand -- but I wouldn't have had much more confidence in him than Strop, especially against right-handed hitters. That's sort of a pick-your-poison scenario.

Really would've liked to see Hunter, though. I know he had two fairly long relief outings in a row on Sunday and Monday, but since he didn't pitch yesterday, I would've gone back to him today to get out of that 7th inning mess, then use Matusz and O'Day in the final two innings.

Archived