vs. White Sox 4th of July

weams

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only people on this board could find it within themselves to criticize this outing by Britton.

Absolutely and completely laughable.

I saw that ridiculousness on the main baord. Maybe the beer is flowing for some today. ;)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• ...and yet when everyone was clamoring for a trade for a #1 and we acquired Burnes, when no one was really expecting THAT, we had a staff lined up - that if it had been and remained healthy - was a top SP staff in the league.  I'm not sure how one comes to the conclusion that they need to explain something.  They, indeed, had depth enough in the farm and from acquisitions - both in waivers and FA's - to consider a 6 man rotation - a luxury. For me, their error is not in picking, identifying, or developing pitchers - it is in the area of realistic expectations in rehab or recovery in pitchers.  We banked a lot on pitchers a lot of us were surprised such a big role was being expected of them.
    • I’d trade anyone for the right return (except Gunnar, Adley, Burnes).   However, it’s more likely than not that there won’t be a deal that works with Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo because at that point whoever we’re trading for (Logan Gilbert, Logan Webb, even Skubal) will be of such quality that they will be considered in the “untouchable” category from the other side and we’d likely need to overpay.  I think it’s more likely that we trade Kjerstad or Cowser but even then it needs to be the right deal.  If such a deal isn’t available, Elias can likely get someone like Scherzer, Fedde, Quintana, Severino, Gray, Blackburn, etc. for a package without a top 100 guy. Regardless of the top end deals, we should trade Norby, Stowers, and Urias for whatever we can get (at least relief help) as they don’t have spots and their value will only go down.  
    • Both.  From Fangraphs yesterday: “A problem contending teams often have to solve in order to be sustainably great is how to keep the pitching flowing while their position player core is in place. The Orioles aren’t going to have that problem. There are so many interesting pitchers in this system that it was tough to include them all. There’s an org we’re aware of whose scouts need to write a full report on a player if he touches 95 in front of them. If you’re a scout from that team covering Baltimore, you’ve had to write up more than 80 pitchers based on their peak velo alone. The retaining wall of arms is strong in the upper levels, giving the Orioles the pitching depth to contend amid injuries.” https://blogs.fangraphs.com/baltimore-orioles-top-45-prospects-2024/ Meanwhile, our major league pitching staff has the third best ERA in MLB.    I’m honestly pretty tired of people saying we haven’t paid enough attention to the pitching.         
    • I love the Hubris. I WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED. Dude, he would have fired you. Ohtani knew exactly what he was doing.  He knew he could have got more up front money, he didn't want up front money. I do agree that it was a great deal for the Dodgers and said it at the time.   And Scott....just an FYI, Ohtani's contract isn't worth 700M, it's closer to half that.
    • Heh, that's some fair criteria you set.  I don't see anyone doing it better (over an 18 month window, with lower payroll and only using the last five years)! You should be posting about historic stats on Twitter. There are a thousand ways to skin a cat. Elias has done a great job, that doesn't diminish what some other people in the industry have accomplished. I think Elias gets tons of flowers on this site, a huge amount.  I think we hear daily about it.  I think the National media has given him his flowers. I think it's nonsense to think he is somehow being overlooked by anyone. How much more look at me do you want?  
    • You dont have to like him. Some people don’t. A lot of fans blame him and other agents for driving up the high cost of sports. Even mentioning his name to baseball fans brings out contempt and hate. But heres the thing. Scott Boras has done his job for the last 40 years, and he’s done it better than any other agent in the game, whether you like him or his style, or not. Boras has been recognized by Forbes as the World’s Most Powerful Sports Agent multiple times, he has negotiated 16 record-breaking contracts and numerous agreements totaling over $100 million. The other night, when I hosted and help induct him into the California Sports Hall of Fame,I asked him if it hurts to be held in such contempt. The former baseball player from Sacramento said this, “I don’t need to be adored. I don’t think any agent has ever been liked by the fans, but my job is to get my clients the best contracts, the best professional advice and protection and of course, the best financial deal we can make.” Boras told me that he thought the Shohei Ohtani contract for the Dodgers, valued at 700 million dollars over 10 years(much of it deferred) was a “steal” for the Dodgers. Huh?    A steal?  How? It’s the richest contract in all of sports history. But heres why Boras thought the Dodgers “stole”Ohtani. “The  Japanese and Chinese and Korean media and merchandise markets, and brand upgrade was this year alone, worth 180 million dollars to the Dodgers. That’s just THIS year”, said Boras. "Imagine it over the course of a decade”, said Boras. “If I represented Ohtani, and I don’t, I wouldn’t have allowed him to sign the deal that he made with the Dodgers. I think his contract is worth at least a BILLION dollars, not 700 million. That means players like rising superstar Gunnar Henderson and pitcher Corbin Burnes, both Boras clients, are looking at eventually hundreds of million dollars in salaries and all kinds of additional revenue streams. “I love the new owner of the Orioles, David Rubenstein, the leader of the Carlyle Group.He’s got  an open love for his team like no owner I’ve ever seen and he said he’s willing to do what it takes to keep his biggest stars in Baltimore. Baltimore didn't;t have that kind of ownership before. Rubenstein, 74, a former White House staffer who became a leveraged-buyout legend, built Carlyle into one of the world's largest managers of alternative assets. He has a net worth of about $5 billion. The control stake of the team -- along with its related assets, including its stake in the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network -- was sold for $1.725 billion to Rubenstein, so he has plenty more money and is willing to spend. That doesn’t mean Boras would sign a “hometown friendly” deal to either player, Burnes is a Free Agent next year, Henderson after about 4 more years. But Boras with other Oriole clients, Jordan Westburg, and Jackson Holliday, is going to be an important figure for baseball’s future in Baltimore and a lot of other franchises too. You may not like Scott Boras, but his clients do. He’s just doing his job. And he does it better than anyone in his profession, and it’s not even close.
    • I don't see anyone doing it better. Find me a better season and a half stretch with a lower payroll wrt to competition in the last 5 years. And as noted, the arrow still points upwards. 
  • Popular Contributors