The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

I wasn't happy about Flaherty getting three months either! It was a bad idea then and it's a bad idea now.

Back when the burning question of the O's season was if they would get to 70 wins you could afford to let guys spend three months to find their way. Teams in the playoff hunt don't generally have that luxury.

I agree with you. I just don't have a problem giving Roberts his final chance this season. Next year, hopefully they will figure out 2B and DH. I just don't believe we have the solution to 2B this season, and of all of the alternatives, over the course of the rest of the season I think Roberts will provide more value than Flaherty or Casilla. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're willing to give Flaherty 3 months to get to 0.4 dWAR, I'd give Roberts the same rope. He's likely to hit better than neg value, as well.

Ryan Flaherty is 27 and may have a future.

Brian Roberts is 36 and will play his last game in a ML uniform sometime this year.

Flaherty had an excellent June (297 .333 .486 .820) with 4 HR's 10RBIs and 8RS in 22 games (O's went 12-1).

Brian Roberts will never again have a 22 game stretch that mathces Flaherty's June

Ryan might have a future, but so far, nothing to get too excited about.

I wish we had somebody at AA/AAA to call up, like they did with Manny last year.

They need a long term and solid answer for this spot.

Well I believe Flaherty could be the answer.

He may have been turning a corner in June, only to be sidetracked by the Brian Roberts farewell tour.

Obviously Buck thinks BRob has something left, but I don't see it.

I agree with you. I just don't have a problem giving Roberts his final chance this season. Next year, hopefully they will figure out 2B and DH. I just don't believe we have the solution to 2B this season, and of all of the alternatives, over the course of the rest of the season I think Roberts will provide more value than Flaherty or Casilla. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I doubt they will stick with Roberts for the rest of the season unless he produces. Plenty of good options for 2B next year. We aren't struggling currently because of Robert/Flaherty/Casilla. We are an overly aggressive offense, vulnerable to LHP, and teams are taking advantage of it.

I doubt they will stick with Roberts for the rest of the season unless he produces. Plenty of good options for 2B next year. We aren't struggling currently because of Robert/Flaherty/Casilla. We are an overly aggressive offense, vulnerable to LHP, and teams are taking advantage of it.

When the heart of the order (Davis, Jones, Hardy, Wieters, Markakis & Manny) are hitting, then the weak production from 2nd is less glaring.

There are of course issues going on with the offense right now. A lot of our big guys are in a bit of a funk right now, particularly with runners in scoring position over the last week or so. The struggles of the team can be easily explained by the offense's inability to get bit hits.

Any kind of stats you like at right now with regards to Roberts are obviously a small sample size so there's probably not much to be said about his actual production as of yet.

That said, I think there's some interesting perspective in looking at the intangible side of things.

At this point, Brian Roberts is just about the last link on the roster to all the losing seasons. I know that Jones, Markakis, Wieters and perhaps a few others had some time under Trembley and Samuel, as a part of the 14 years of misery but Roberts by far logged the most time on bad teams. When we hear things about changing the culture of clubhouse and an organization, it makes you wonder if the stink of losing is on him.

I'm reminded of "The Natural"....

“The mind is a strange thing, men.

We must begin by asking it…

…What is losing?

Losing is a disease…

…as contagious as polio.

Losing is a disease…

…as contagious as syphilis.

Losing is a disease…

…as contagious as bubonic plague…

… attacking one…

… but infecting all.

But curable.”

I don't know if there's anything to this, just something to ponder.

There are of course issues going on with the offense right now. A lot of our big guys are in a bit of a funk right now, particularly with runners in scoring position over the last week or so. The struggles of the team can be easily explained by the offense's inability to get bit hits.

Any kind of stats you like at right now with regards to Roberts are obviously a small sample size so there's probably not much to be said about his actual production as of yet.

That said, I think there's some interesting perspective in looking at the intangible side of things.

At this point, Brian Roberts is just about the last link on the roster to all the losing seasons. I know that Jones, Markakis, Wieters and perhaps a few others had some time under Trembley and Samuel, as a part of the 14 years of misery but Roberts by far logged the most time on bad teams. When we hear things about changing the culture of clubhouse and an organization, it makes you wonder if the stink of losing is on him.

I'm reminded of "The Natural"....

“The mind is a strange thing, men.

We must begin by asking it…

…What is losing?

Losing is a disease…

…as contagious as polio.

Losing is a disease…

…as contagious as syphilis.

Losing is a disease…

…as contagious as bubonic plague…

… attacking one…

… but infecting all.

But curable.”

I don't know if there's anything to this, just something to ponder.

Ah yes... the intangible, unexplainable, immeasurable BRob effect

Brian Roberts is 36 and will play his last game in a ML uniform sometime this year.

Neither of these things are true. If Roberts was in such a rush to come back this year, chances are he won't just hang it up at the end of the year. I'm not sure he will get a guaranteed Major League contract next year but I expect him to be back.

Neither of these things are true. If Roberts was in such a rush to come back this year, chances are he won't just hang it up at the end of the year. I'm not sure he will get a guaranteed Major League contract next year but I expect him to be back.

We shall see...

How good the market is for a no hit, no field, can't run, often injured, veteran who has never once participated on a winning team, yet a playoff team.

I imagine he'll get lots of offers.

He will play his last ML game as an Oriole sometime this year. I'd bet my house on it.

We shall see...

How good the market is for a no hit, no field, can't run, often injured, veteran who has never once participated on a winning team, yet a playoff team.

I imagine he'll get lots of offers.

He will play his last ML game as an Oriole sometime this year. I'd bet my house on it.

If you think other teams take "never once participated on a winning team" into account, I don't know what to tell you.

If you think other teams take "never once participated on a winning team" into account, I don't know what to tell you.

How about the can't hit, can't defend, can't stay healthy 36 year old part? You left that out.

I mean I am sure teams will be beating down the door for a 36 year old who hasn't been productive for 4 years who is smashing the ball at a robust .450 OPS clip and is a liability in the field.

So how long do you give B-Rob time to get the rust off before you just give up and DFA him?

He should have been kept at AAA for a min of 14 games and been productive.

Now the O's have backed themselves into a corner.

Best for the team, DFA him yesterday

What they will do, let him struggle into August

Best case scenario... a new injury

Archived