Punk move

bradyrocks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your point is correct.

Defenses of JJ still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, though. The guy's on pace for 55 saves. Wonderful. He's also on pace for 10 blown saves and 12 losses. 12.

Yep, sure love seeing him come into games...

JJ's overall stats may not look that great right now, but let's remember that he's capable of some hellacious hot streaks when he's on his game. He started the year with 14 straight saves and a 0.95 ERA in his first 19 appearances, then reeled off 12 straight saves over 14 appearances with a 0.68 ERA from May 29 to June 25. Buck is going to give him every chance to get on another roll like that. As he should, IMO.

Hunter was definitely not happy but it's impossible to tell whether he's angry at Buck or at himself.

I have absolutely no problem with taking Hunter out in that situation. He had worked the previous inning, he was getting cuffed around a bit and the tying run was on deck. You need to make sure you win the game.

My only complaint is that JJ should also be given in the hook when he is clearly not effective and the game is in danger of slipping away.

JJ's overall stats may not look that great right now, but let's remember that he's capable of some hellacious hot streaks when he's on his game. He started the year with 14 straight saves and a 0.95 ERA in his first 19 appearances, then reeled off 12 straight saves over 14 appearances with a 0.68 ERA from May 29 to June 25. Buck is going to give him every chance to get on another roll like that. As he should, IMO.

In a division as tightly packed as the AL East, why on Earth should the O's gamble like that? If he reels off saves...well, that's exactly what he's supposed to do. And that's all well and good in the abstract. If he's not giving the O's their best chance to put up W's, however, he has no business being in close games.

Hunter was definitely not happy but it's impossible to tell whether he's angry at Buck or at himself.

I have absolutely no problem with taking Hunter out in that situation. He had worked the previous inning, he was getting cuffed around a bit and the tying run was on deck. You need to make sure you win the game.

My only complaint is that JJ should also be given in the hook when he is clearly not effective and the game is in danger of slipping away.

Ladies and Gentleman we have a winner! I think that was OP point.

So, when Hunter is having a bad night, we should replace him with the league leader in saves? Really?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Well, you could replace him with the league leader in BLOWN saves! Oh, wait a minute...

I truly believe that everything Buck does - like just about everything - meets one criteria: it must help his team's chances of winning. Even the loyalty stuff... On the surface and in the short term, it appears sentimental - even reckless. Like Buck has a blind spot or something. But that is wrong.

Think about it. When you're deep in the stuff and battling it out... and you don't freeze up... THat could have something to do with the fact that your manager has your back... that's a damn good feeling.

So let's then say your team needs to come back to pull out a dramatic victory - which the Orioles seem to do often under Buck. Are you more likely to dig deeper for a guy who treats good players like Buck treats Johnson? Or some dude who treats players like Bobby Valentine?

Buck's not leaving JJ in because he likes the way he sings. He's leaving him in there because Johnson is the only sensible closer on the roster. (That may change with Jairo's arrival.)

Likewise... Sometimes Buck appears heartless, even cold-blooded. Not to me, mind you. But he is tough enough and aware enough to understand: If a player is about to blow the game for you - regardless of who he is, or what the situation is - you must take him out. I think that is the only impetus for Buck's move.

I truly believe that everything Buck does - like just about everything - meets one criteria: it must help his team's chances of winning. Even the loyalty stuff... On the surface and in the short term, it appears sentimental - even reckless. Like Buck has a blind spot or something. But that is wrong.

Think about it. When you're deep in the stuff and battling it out... and you don't freeze up... THat could have something to do with the fact that your manager has your back... that's a damn good feeling.

So let's then say your team needs to come back to pull out a dramatic victory - which the Orioles seem to do often under Buck. Are you more likely to dig deeper for a guy who treats good players like Buck treats Johnson? Or some dude who treats players like Bobby Valentine?

Buck's not leaving JJ in because he likes the way he sings. He's leaving him in there because Johnson is the only sensible closer on the roster. (That may change with Jairo's arrival.)

Likewise... Sometimes Buck appears heartless, even cold-blooded. Not to me, mind you. But he is tough enough and aware enough to understand: If a player is about to blow the game for you - regardless of who he is, or what the situation is - you must take him out. I think that is the only impetus for Buck's move.

I think the only cold blooded thing are the calls to release Johnson. It was a mistake. He will roll out 35 more saves in a row.

Buck made the right move. IMO, it wasn't made because he has affection for JJ. He made move because it was our best opporunity to win the ball game. Also TH was struggling to get through the inning. Why have him lose confidence against a big hitting club like TOR?

I agree. This team without JJ in good form, is finished. Same with last year. Buck is trying to get him his confidence back, and put him in positions to succeed. People think anyone can be a closer, but that is just not true.

Archived