Punk move

bradyrocks

Not sure why TH and JJ are even warming up with a five run lead.

Games like this are when the manager should let a Troy Patton, Brian Matusz or someone else pitch the ninth.

Maybe it's about the timing of the break and the expectation both TH and JJ will be available all weekend, but I expect when we look back over the season at opportunities to rest our two best bullpen arms, this will be one of them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure why TH and JJ are even warming up with a five run lead.

Games like this are when the manager should let a Troy Patton, Brian Matusz or someone else pitch the ninth.

Maybe it's about the timing of the break and the expectation both TH and JJ will be available all weekend, but I expect when we look back over the season at opportunities to rest our two best bullpen arms, this will be one of them.

Hunter pitched the eight and started the ninth. JJ didn't warm up until they got 2 runners on base.

I'm not annoyed because it was rude to Hunter. It bothers me because he used JJ in a game where he wasn't really needed. More importantly (since he only threw 1 pitch) he had to get him up.

I definitely disagreed with the move, but this is pretty much covers my feelings about it.

Yet we all assume that Tommy would have recorded the last out. What happens if he gives up 2 more hits, or 3 more hits or a walk mixed in? Clearly Tommy had a rough night, which happens to everyone!

Why not just end it before it gets worse?

I don't see the complaints here. Most people are happy after a win, but apparently not everyone. It's fine to pick about things but lets be serious...Buck did what he thought was best to win the game. Tommy has blown saves this year too, he has had rough outings, including today.

Get the W as soon as possible, we are in a battle for the rest of this season.

Buck mentioned after the last Texas game there was a reliever that was unavailable due to sickness. My initial guess, based on who pitched in the game, was Hunter.

Maybe this was part of it. Maybe Buck wanted to keep Hunter available for tonight. Who knows, but I can assure you Buck knows better than any of us.

Buck mentioned after the last Texas game there was a reliever that was unavailable due to sickness. My initial guess, based on who pitched in the game, was Hunter.

Maybe this was part of it. Maybe Buck wanted to keep Hunter available for tonight. Who knows, but I can assure you Buck knows better than any of us.

Than any of us. Assured.

First of all, it's absurd to call any move Buck makes for the O's a punk move. Second, Hunter was tired! He was in his second inning, and his fastball was hitting 96. It's vital to keep him healthy all season. It was in his best interests to leave the game.

First of all, it's absurd to call any move Buck makes for the O's a punk move. Second, Hunter was tired! He was in his second inning, and his fastball was hitting 96. It's vital to keep him healthy all season. It was in his best interests to leave the game.

Agreed. IMO it was the right move. Hunter was struggling to hold onto a five run lead and Buck went to his closer. Like it or not, Johnson is the closer. While it may have been in Hunter's best interest to leave the game because he was tiring, it was in the team's best interests to replace him with Johnson at that point. This move was about winning, not padding save stats.

Agreed. IMO it was the right move. Hunter was struggling to hold onto a five run lead and Buck went to his closer. Like it or not, Johnson is the closer. While it may have been in Hunter's best interest to leave the game because he was tiring, it was in the team's best interests to replace him with Johnson at that point. This move was about winning, not padding save stats.

I agree with this. I am a big TH fan, but face the facts Tommy did not pitch well last night in his second inning. If he gets the job done, he finishes the game. He didn't get the job done, he got pulled and JJ saved another game. Its all good.

To me, the questionable move was inserting Matusz to start the 8th. Ascensio? just struck out their two most dangerous hitterst in a row to end the 7th, and I thought he should come out for the 8th. If that happens, TH doesn't hit the wall in the first place and finishes the game. Just my two cents.

Hardly a punk move. Over-aggressive, yes. But we don't have all the facts, but we did see that Hunter was throwing very hittable balls in the 9th. And until he officially "isn't," JJ remains the closer. That's his job. I personally think the over-specialization of pitchers is a bit much, but that's how it works in today's game. Hunter was slipping, the Rangers (by the way, a dangerous offensive team, let's not forget that...they're quite capable of a comeback like that) were building momentum...that's a situation where going to your closer isn't a punk move. If it were Tillman, one out away from a complete game, and the situation were the same...that'd be closer to a punk move, though still understandable as he would be showing signs of being gassed.

And hey, it's not his fault he only needed one pitch to close it.

Seriously, you can't win around here...how often to do we get annoyed with Buck for sticking with a pitcher at least one batter too long? And when he doesn't, it's a punk move?

Everyone Saying JJ gave us the best chance to win. Remember, Rasmus is up, and Patton is just as fresh as JJ.

You cant tell me Jim against a lefty is a better matchup than Patton. And thats not even factoring his horrific year. If i were Hunter, I understand if he brings in Patton....I feel utterly disrespected and unnappreciated if he brings in johnson. Just my two cents.

And everyone saying that loyalty will bode well for Jim...well, what is this lack of trust going to do to Tommy? Either these guys are professionsals and it wont affect either, or it helps Johnson and hurts Tommy. Buck is being a little obsessive with this save stuff. Almost wonder if he made Jim a promise in order to grease the wheels when he shut down his chances of ever being a starter.

Everyone Saying JJ gave us the best chance to win. Remember, Rasmus is up, and Patton is just as fresh as JJ.

You cant tell me Jim against a lefty is a better matchup than Patton. And thats not even factoring his horrific year. If i were Hunter, I understand if he brings in Patton....I feel utterly disrespected and unnappreciated if he brings in johnson. Just my two cents.

And everyone saying that loyalty will bode well for Jim...well, what is this lack of trust going to do to Tommy? Either these guys are professionsals and it wont affect either, or it helps Johnson and hurts Tommy. Buck is being a little obsessive with this save stuff. Almost wonder if he made Jim a promise in order to grease the wheels when he shut down his chances of ever being a starter.

I'll tell you he is! Happy now? Why don't you go look up Patton's stats. See what he did for late April, most of May and early June.

Archived