Roberts since August 19th

Tony-OH

I'm not sure whether playing Roberts or Flaherty makes a hill of beans worth of difference. That being the case, I guess Buck values BRob's veteran presence. He might make more physical errors than Flash, but he probably will make fewer mental errors.

Until last night, I was pleasantly surprised by his defense. I hope he continues to contribute this year and gets a big round of applause his last home game at OPACY.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was no I told you so thread. It's been guys like me chirping in threads like this.

The "Brian Roberts effect" was pretty nice last night with that RBI double. Should they have replaced him defensively? Sure, I've always supported that. But to say he's in an offensive slump when the entire team is also just smacks of hating for the sake of hating.

Posts like mine below is about as close as you'll come to seeing anyone applauding BRob. There are guys like me who are happy to see him contributing and prefer him RIGHT NOW to Flaherty. But it's not like we're saying he should be starting for us next season, or that he is having any kind of renaissance. We're just happy for the lil fella.

Stat lines aside, I've been happy with BRob's performance this season and I'm really glad to see him playing in competitive games in his final season with the Orioles. Say what you will about the man, but he has been a great person and a great part of this community, and he played on some really rotten teams, so he truly deserves this final run with the Orioles. I hope we can finish the mission!

This. Was this thread even necessary? We're 1 game back, we know what Buck's gonna do, Brian's playing alright.

:noidea::noidea:

Some things I'll never understand...

1. We complain about not getting runners in with men on third and less than two outs, but then people complain when Wieters leads the leagues in sac flies.

2. We complain about not working the count, but then want the ONE guy who does to sit on the bench.

Things that make ya go hmmmmm????? :scratchchinhmm:

Guest rochester

Off the subject of the post, but did anyone else think that, on the 12th inning foible, that Saltalamacchia did not try to get out of the way by sliding when BRob turned to throw to first. It is my first impression (did not see a replay), but it seemed like he tried to throw around Salty instead of throwing straight and hoping he goes down in time.

There are obviously valid arguments for either side of this debate, but for me it's a matter of what the team happens to need now as it tries to stay in the wild card race. I wd say that's Brian's ABs and hitting skill with RISP or just plain runner(s) ion base. In a line filled with hackers who have been leaving far too many runners on base, even last night, Roberts provides important balance to the lineup. We're already so far ahead defensively, I think that most likely cancels whatever additional defensive skill Flaherty contributes. But it also depends on our pitcher's propensity or not for inducing ground balls and the type of offense they opposing team mounts. If it were Jim Johnson pitching to a bunch of ****in' fleas, I'd def rather have Flaherty playing second base.

Who cares if it is "projectible" as we have only ELEVEN games? As long as he is doing it NOW is is projectible as it is going to get the rest of the season. I am astonished at some of the stuff I see written here.....
Heh, they mean is it projectible for even the next game, ie tonight, tomorrow, the next 11 games. It's not, because he's been fluke-ishly successful. But he does have a good approach and I do think he's a good guy to have up in those situations, just not someone who you should expect to continue to put up a .900 OPS with RISP.

I feel no shame rooting for Brian Roberts. I do not think anyone has said "I told you so". I think the people who are most defensive about Roberts are the ones who prematurely called him finished, a complete dud. Flaherty will get his chance next year, at this point, I'd rather have Brian's bat in the lineup.

Yeah, I didn't start in an I told you so thread, but I have enjoyed watching Roberts the last month. Even with the carefully selected end points to keep his stats as low as possible, he still isn't the .575 OPS hitter and train wreck defender that his bigget critics thought he would be.

You've picked the time period that best suits your argument. Eliminate August 19-20 and BRob is at .667 instead of .607, and really he has been hovering around .660-.680 all during September.

As to the defense, while I do think Flaherty is better, and Roberts did get away with two miscues last night, in general BRob has played very good defense the last 6-7 weeks. His dWAR was at -0.8 at the end of July but is at -0.1 now. UZR shows something similar, and currently has him at +2.5.

Probably the best argument for BRob is his good performance with runners in scoring position, especially getting runners in from 3B with less than two out. In key situations, he always seems to have a good at bat.

Frankly, I'd be fine with Flaherty getting some starts. But I think it's a close case, and like you, I don't really expect Buck to sit Roberts now.

Actually I just started after his hot streak ended and stated that clearly. Regardless, Roberts is not doing the job offensively and defensively and I still think Flaherty would be better at second base. I also beleive Roberst could actually help the team in a PH role late in games due to his ability to handle the bat and his success getting runners in. Saying that, we agree that Buck is not going to do that, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with him. :D

Archived