What do you *expect* this offseason?

Moose Milligan

Feldman stays. Roberts stays (unfortunately). McLouth resigns (probably).

I don't think anyone outside of the organization is signed as a free agent outside of the Rajai Davis and/or David Murphy types. If we get a bigger name for outside the organization, it'll be as a trade. I actually have quite low expectations for this offseason. That's probably a good thing, because I am unlikely to be disappointed.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that would shock the living heck out of me.

Sorry, I don't see any major trades this off-season, DD will work on resigning some and plugging in the gaps with his budget available finds, just like he usually does.

You are probably right. But I would not mind being shocked that way. But DD may surprise us. Hang on Rick. It may be a long boring offseason. Get you a good

book to read and enjoy your favorite brew.

You are probably right. But I would not mind being shocked that way. But DD may surprise us. Hang on Rick. It may be a long boring offseason. Get you a good

book to read and enjoy your favorite brew.

Book to read. Check, lots of books on my Kindle wanting my attention.

Even a movie or two, sitting on my self.

Southern Sweet Tea. Check

Time to hibernate until Sprint Training.

What I expect to happen:

C - Wieters gets more than he should. Team continue's trend of no-hit/avg. defensive backups.

1B - big talk about trying to extend Davis. Nothing actually happens.

2B - if Roberts can be had for $2 Mil. per or less, I think he's a lock for next year. 2 year deal or 1 year w/ an option wouldn't shock me.

3B - set

SS - set

LF - McLouth or an equivalent type player if they can be had cheaply. If not, Uruttia is next years starter

CF - set

RF - set (unfortunately)

DH - continue's being a revolving door

SP - 1 league-average guy will be added. 5th spot in the rotation will continue being a revolving door.

RP - 1, maybe 2 league average guys will be added (i.e, no one expensive). A lot of whispers about Jim Johnson being traded but nothing comes of it. Johnson gets way too much money. I think both Britton (quickly falling down the depth chart) and Matusz (money) are gone/traded.

We'll hear about the Orioles "being in on" most/any player available through FA and trades. We'll continue to hear the company line of, "we liked him ... but not at that price." I also expect to see another bargain-bin shopping spree on 4A/Mi. League filler-type players.

In the lull before Spring Training, I expect fans' questions about why the team didn't spend more money in the offseason to be answered with, "We did spend money ... Wieters, Davis, Johnson, Markakis, etc. all got pretty hefty raises."

I'm thinking this is exactly how it will play out.

What I expect to happen:

C - Wieters gets more than he should. Team continue's trend of no-hit/avg. defensive backups.

1B - big talk about trying to extend Davis. Nothing actually happens.

2B - if Roberts can be had for $2 Mil. per or less, I think he's a lock for next year. 2 year deal or 1 year w/ an option wouldn't shock me.

3B - set

SS - set

LF - McLouth or an equivalent type player if they can be had cheaply. If not, Uruttia is next years starter

CF - set

RF - set (unfortunately)

DH - continue's being a revolving door

SP - 1 league-average guy will be added. 5th spot in the rotation will continue being a revolving door.

RP - 1, maybe 2 league average guys will be added (i.e, no one expensive). A lot of whispers about Jim Johnson being traded but nothing comes of it. Johnson gets way too much money. I think both Britton (quickly falling down the depth chart) and Matusz (money) are gone/traded.

We'll hear about the Orioles "being in on" most/any player available through FA and trades. We'll continue to hear the company line of, "we liked him ... but not at that price." I also expect to see another bargain-bin shopping spree on 4A/Mi. League filler-type players.

In the lull before Spring Training, I expect fans' questions about why the team didn't spend more money in the offseason to be answered with, "We did spend money ... Wieters, Davis, Johnson, Markakis, etc. all got pretty hefty raises."

Lol, pretty good.

Here is the question I want to hear from the press, starting IMMEDIATELY

How will the spend the 25 million being given to them? And when they don't, I am sure the cowering media will just let the team line their coffers without a word

he won't answer it. I asked Duquette that question ten months ago.
Well for me anyway, I was able to ask Dan a question about payroll. As you might expect, I noted how we should see at least another $10M from MASN depending on the negotiations with the Nationals, MLB is giving us an additional $25 million in 2014, and we just had a 20% increase in attendance. I continued, "the spin in the media is that Reynolds was in part a financial decision." Now if money is tight for 2013, when does he anticipate being able to spend more and maybe get payroll to $100 million?

"So what's your question? When can we spend more money?" Yes, we have more money from operations and also from the industry coming in. He didn't see the benefit in discussing payroll in public. We need to be cost effective and one way to do that is through our farm system. Also, we have more than enough resources to have a competitive team year after year.

Here's to hoping you're at home when that happens. ;)

He only wants to go to the Yanks. Otherwise he probably stays in St. L.

Seriously... you think we will outbid the spankees? Beltran is not coming here, move on and pick someone more realistic.

lf mclough if reasonable salary, otherwise a righty with ok obp.

roberts on one year deal, maybe with an option.

trade for a dh type or reimhold if medical reports are good.

feldman or another journeyman pitcher

britton as long reliever.

a reliver is traded... matusz, hunter or patton is probably gone bringing back an ok bat or shakey sp reclamation project.

Here's what I *expect*:

Jim Johnson traded (have no idea where and for what)

Re-sign Hammel to close

JJ Hardy traded for Starling Marte

Sign Jhonny Peralta to play 3B, but play him at SS until Machado is well enough to take over there

Play Valencia at 3B until Peralta moves there

Urrutia will share DH role w/Peake or Valencia, so no need to make a move there

Re-sign Feldman or trade for Porcello

So, after Machado comes back, the lineup would offer:

C - Wieters

1B - Davis

2B - Flaherty (until Schoop is ready)

3B - Peralta

SS - Machado

LF - Marte

CF - Jones

RF - Markakis

DH - Urrutia/Valencia

He only wants to go to the Yanks. Otherwise he probably stays in St. L.

Seriously... you think we will outbid the spankees? Beltran is not coming here, move on and pick someone more realistic.

lf mclough if reasonable salary, otherwise a righty with ok obp.

roberts on one year deal, maybe with an option.

trade for a dh type or reimhold if medical reports are good.

feldman or another journeyman pitcher

britton as long reliever.

a reliver is traded... matusz, hunter or patton is probably gone bringing back an ok bat or shakey sp reclamation project.

The winking emoticon would denote I'm not exactly "expecting" it to happen.

Archived