It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

What was your original idea, that we trade Wieters for Upton and the Braves kick in money (how much?)?

Yep. Not many teams will want to pay what his contract calls for. With Wieters it's arbitration, not a contract.

We take on Upton, kick in some cash and try and pry a starter away. Wren told Bowden today the chance for McCann to come back is slim. They might have to over pay for the local kid in Wieters.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we agree to pay JUp his salary, I wonder if ATL would kick in a starting pitching prospect?

We can turn Wieters in to a LF and SP prospect, and Hardy into a top starter, sign a catcher, and a 3B and roll into the season?

I don't know if Hardy's change up is good enough for him to be a top starter. Chris Davis, maybe, but Hardy is a number two or three at best. Lol.

twinedenter's statement is definitely exaggeration but it's closer than the truth than I thought it was before I researched a bit and closer to the truth than I think most people would believe.

I did a search for catchers with at least 750 PAs over the past three years. There are 33 of those players and Matt Wieters places well in counting stats because he has played so much (5th in WAR, 2nd in HRs). But he falls pretty hard when ranking the rate stats. 20th in OPS, 21st in wOBA.

He's an above average catcher overall, and he'd be a talent upgrade at that position for 20ish teams by my guess. So there should be a good market for him. But on offense alone, there's an argument that he's closer to the bottom of the league than the top.

Here's why I disagree. You can't ignore the fact that Wieters plays 80% of the games and a lot of these other catchers do not. If you look from a team perspective over the last three years, the Orioles are 14th in MLB in wOBA by their catchers. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0 That's not because the Orioles' backups have been so good, it's because the Orioles' backups almost never play. Wieters' ability to keep the backups off the field is an asset to the overall offense of the team, even if his rate stats aren't as good as some guy who plays 60% of the time but has some horrible offensive backup playing the other 40%.

Here's why I disagree. You can't ignore the fact that Wieters plays 80% of the games and a lot of these other catchers do not. If you look from a team perspective over the last three years, the Orioles are 10th in MLB in wOBA by their catchers. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0 .

By wRC+ (i.e. adjusted woba) we fall to 15th (2011-2013). Basically average. Last year we were 18th (below average).

So did you steal this from Bowden, or did he steal it from you...

For the rest of you, here is a summary of the rest of Bowden's insider article:

Cincinnati Reds

If the Orioles don?t sign another catcher, they might be interested in a package of Phillips and young catcher Devin Mesoraco.
They also might target starting pitcher Homer Bailey.Bailey could be available because he?s a free agent after 2014. Or Baltimore might decide to go younger and cheaper and acquire a top starting pitching prospect such as Robert Stephenson or Tony Cingrani.

Atlanta Braves

In return, the Orioles would love to get another corner outfield bat and might ask for either Jason Heyward or Justin Upton. They also might see whether they could get any of the Braves? best young starting pitchers, such as Julio Teheran, Kris Medlen or Lucas Sims.

Chicago Cubs

A deal for Wieters centered around Jeff Samardzija would make sense. Like Wieters, Samardzija is a free agent after the 2015 season and despite trying, they?ve been unable to sign him to a contract extension. Samardzija, who will be 29 on Opening Day, has the potential of developing into an ace. His swing-and-miss stuff, combined with the O?s elite defense could result in a banner year for him. The Orioles could also use a power-hitting outfield prospect such as Jorge Soler or high-level pitching prospect such as C.J. Edwards.

Colorado Rockies

Both first-round picks from 2013 and 2012 -- Jonathan Gray and Eddie Butler, respectively -- won?t be available. But Wieters could help their development once they arrive in Denver.

So the Orioles should be looking for one of Colorado?s proven top two starters -- Jorge De La Rosa or Jhoulys Chacin. Chacin is a free agent after 2015, and it looks like he?s finally reaching his potential after going 14-10 with a 3.47 ERA in 2013. De La Rosa is a free agent after 2014, and after coming back from Tommy John surgery last year won 16 games with a 3.49 ERA.

Chicago White Sox

And while this might be the longest shot of all these scenarios, perhaps Orioles GM Dan Duquette could offer Wieters and his choice of Kevin Gausman or Dylan Bundy to the White Sox for left-hander Chris Sale.

Archived