Cord Phelps claimed by Orioles

Baltoravensrule

So there is YOUR quote. You're essentially saying that you'll make your statement at the end of the offseason, and until then there is no reason to analyze any of the moves or non moves.

So again, what shall we do while we're sitting around waiting for the offseason to end?

Whatever. You believe what you want to believe. The point remains, this is a nothing move, that every team does. If you can't realize that then you're exactly the type of fan I'm referring to. Every single move doesn't have to devolve into the same self loathing posts and threads, every, single, time. It simply doesn't, and that's not calling for talking about nothing, that's the simple truth.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate these responses. The Orioles do this every year. The Orioles are 1) not signing Cord Phelps to be the starting second baseman next year 2) not doing this to piss you off.

Every year I've been very active in the Minor league section of this website analyzing the small roster moves and I will say this:

This is a depth move; something that Andy MacPhail NEVER did. When DD came to the Orioles he signed so many players at the start of the season I scratched my head wondering where he was going to put them all. He never failed to have a place for all of them. The difference between what Duquette was able to do that MacPhail or Flanagan couldn't was that he could get this team to September and not be scraping the barrel for relievers or bench players. It's MARKEDLY different under Dan. It's better under Dan. It shows in that he's got two straight winning seasons where the guys before that couldn't muster up a single one. His calculating moves for low risk high payoff players are amazing.

We have posts like this every year when the Orioles fail to make big moves early.

Guess who else hasn't made big moves: Boston (exercised Lester's option!). Detroit (signed no-one!). Los Angeles (big Joe Smith!). Texas (Geovany Soto!). Atlanta (signed no-one!). Cincinnati (Skip Schumaker!).

Please. Don't act like the Orioles are alone in the "sitting pretty" column.

Thankfully somebody sees the big picture.

Whatever. You believe what you want to believe. The point remains, this is a nothing move, that every team does. If you can't realize that then you're exactly the type of fan I'm referring to. Every single move doesn't have to devolve into the same self loathing posts and threads, every, single, time. It simply doesn't, and that's not calling for talking about nothing, that's the simple truth.

The difference is this organization has about a decades worth of offseason inactivity to suggest that this flurry of secondhand shopping moves isn't simply "the everyday standard AAA filler depth move that every team makes in the offseason," but rather this flurry of secondhand shopping moves is this organization's Plan A for improving the Major League roster.

If they want to shock us and for once do something meaningful at the Winter Meetings then hallelujah, but if history is any indication these "people whining about these nothing moves" are just simply anticipating the inevitable "KABOOM! Orioles sign Alexi Casilla. The offseason is now complete" blockbuster that most everyone knows is coming. Really not reason to jump down their throats for stating the obvious.

I'm normally 100% on your side about these things. The only thing that got to me yesterday was 4 of these depth moves within a few days and none of them are improving the team.

That said, I'll admit it, I was wrong. The Orioles made a HUGE move last night, bringing in the new starting left fielder Nolan Reimold. I should have been more patient, and thus, I apologize!

;)

The only improvement at the major league level thus far is the addition of Brach from the Padres. Everyone else is, or should be, a AAA player next year. It's been about a month since the World Series ended. I wouldn't worry YET. The Os still need a leftfielder, a starter, and a second baseman. If those needs aren't adequately met then I'd be upset. Knowwhati'msayin?

The only improvement at the major league level thus far is the addition of Brach from the Padres. Everyone else is, or should be, a AAA player next year. It's been about a month since the World Series ended. I wouldn't worry YET. The Os still need a leftfielder, a starter, and a second baseman. If those needs aren't adequately met then I'd be upset. Knowwhati'msayin?

Well you can scratch left fielder off the list. Nolan is back in the fold.

You don't think every team in baseball has made moves like this since the season ended? Just because you don't hear about them, or think that they do, doesn't mean that they don't happen. Somehow, they never get reported. But, the Orioles do it and it's the end of the world, business as usual, etc. Spare me. I've no expectations they're going to do anything earth shattering. But seriously, every single move really doesn't have to devolve right back into the same thing over and over again. When they offseason has played out and there's real evidence to go off, then I'll say I whether I'm disappointed or happy at what they did. Until that happens, people need to chill and stop getting their panties tied up over moves that mean absolutely nothing, and that EVERY SINGLE TEAM DOES.

I agree. It is too early for me to be upset or be upset at all by this kind of move.

I'm normally 100% on your side about these things. The only thing that got to me yesterday was 4 of these depth moves within a few days and none of them are improving the team.

That said, I'll admit it, I was wrong. The Orioles made a HUGE move last night, bringing in the new starting left fielder Nolan Reimold. I should have been more patient, and thus, I apologize!

;)

I don't understand this. How do you know these guys won't improve the team? Why are you so concerned over depth moves at this stage when that's exactly what most team do at this stage. The winter meetings haven't even occurred and the big time free agents are not signing yet (Not that I expect the O's to be players in those).

I can't remember seeing Phelps play and he's been terrible in his major league trials, but his numbers at AAA in 2012 give me some hope there's an upside here. He's a classic guy who was stuck behind someone on the major league level and who may have gotten stale in AAA.

Giving him a legitimate opportunity to win the 2nd base job might be enough to help him fulfill the promise is AAA numbers (outside of last year) suggest.

As someone pointed out, at worse he's going probably going to perform at the level of a 35-year old Roberts and for the major league minimum.

Maybe the Orioles are saving money for Shin-Soo Choo. ( ;), we can dream right?)

Does anyone like Miguel Gonzalez, Nate McLouth, Ryan Flaherty, TJ McFarland, Josh Stinson, Danny Valencia or Steve Pearce? They were all DD depth moves along with 20-30 other moves that didn't work out. I don't know where Phelps fits in all that but I am for DD continuing to make the depth moves.

As someone pointed out, at worse he's going probably going to perform at the level of a 35-year old Roberts and for the major league minimum.

I think that was me ;) I like that he will get a chance to compete for the starting second base job like Davis did at first base last spring. I am glad they did not resign Reynolds for too much and cheat the talent that Davis had from coming forward.

I don't understand this. How do you know these guys won't improve the team? Why are you so concerned over depth moves at this stage when that's exactly what most team do at this stage. The winter meetings haven't even occurred and the big time free agents are not signing yet (Not that I expect the O's to be players in those).

I can't remember seeing Phelps play and he's been terrible in his major league trials, but his numbers at AAA in 2012 give me some hope there's an upside here. He's a classic guy who was stuck behind someone on the major league level and who may have gotten stale in AAA.

Giving him a legitimate opportunity to win the 2nd base job might be enough to help him fulfill the promise is AAA numbers (outside of last year) suggest.

Maybe the Orioles are saving money for Shin-Soo Choo. ( ;), we can dream right?)

I was just in a mood yesterday man. I don't mind depth signings per say, but I guess I am having trouble separating them from the history of this team. Last year Dickerson and Casilla were supposed to be depth moves, and they ended up being some of the bigger moves we made. Hell, Phelps could be the 2B for the next 10 years. I mean, what do I know? But for once, I'd like to bring in a proven guy who we go, "Hells yeah, now we're talking" rather than the typical "If a and b and c and d ALL go right, this guy could be a real asset."

"Hells yeah, now we're talking."

What is that player's name.

Josh Hamilton?

Carl Crawford?

Albert Puljos?

Chan Ho Park?

I know, some deals work out great and some Free agents over perform, but I think baseball may have changed enough that saying "Hells Yeah" is harder to do. Some people even think the Rangers got the best end of the trade this week. Crazy!

What is that player's name.

Josh Hamilton?

Carl Crawford?

Albert Puljos?

Chan Ho Park?

I know, some deals work out great and some Free agents over perform, but I think baseball may have changed enough that saying "Hells Yeah" is harder to do. Some people even think the Rangers got the best end of the trade this week. Crazy!

You're right, it may be harder to know who that "Hells yeah" player is. But if I have to utter the words..."IF such and such happens he could be good..." then it's not in the "hells yeah" category.

You're right, it may be harder to know who that "Hells yeah" player is. But if I have to utter the words..."IF such and such happens he could be good..." then it's not in the "hells yeah" category.

So you are saying Clayton Kershaw.

Hells Yeah

Archived