Nelson Cruz ?

Greg

That's it right there in a nutshell.

Let me make this clear. I don't think we should sign Cruz. Never have and never will. But I do think the Os should be looking to upgrade their LF / DH slots. Unfortunately because of their inactivity and painstakingly slow approach to the free agent process they're left with slim picking.s I hate the idea of putting a former PED user in an Os uniform. I hate the idea of putting knucklehead like Fernando Rodney in an Os uniform. But like most years they put themselves in a position to have to settle for what/who's left. And while I realize that money and the unofficial salary cap that we all know exists are partly to blame, there's no reason that this team can't get creative and improve itself via trades. And maybe my expectations are higher than most, but Valencia for Lough type trades don't cut it for me. Not when other teams, like the Diamondbacks and Mariners, are making trades for proven ML players.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cruz career ave. numbers per 162 G: 268 .327 .495 .823 32 HR, 99RBI. He's a plus 3 Rtot /yr in LF. How is that not an upgrade over what we got last year. We have a window of 2 Years to compete before we turn again into the PA pumpkin we've been for the last 14 years. I think we can get two of those years from Cruz. But he'll go to Seattle, and we'll sign Morales. :rolleyestf:

Lets pretend you know better and that you're not trying to be obtuse, since you do.

Let me make this clear. I don't think we should sign Cruz. Never have and never will. But I do think the Os should be looking to upgrade their LF / DH slots. Unfortunately because of their inactivity and painstakingly slow approach to the free agent process they're left with slim picking.s I hate the idea of putting a former PED user in an Os uniform. I hate the idea of putting knucklehead like Fernando Rodney in an Os uniform. But like most years they put themselves in a position to have to settle for what/who's left. And while I realize that money and the unofficial salary cap that we all know exists are partly to blame, there's no reason that this team can't get creative and improve itself via trades. And maybe my expectations are higher than most, but Valencia for Lough type trades don't cut it for me. Not when other teams, like the Diamondbacks and Mariners, are making trades for proven ML players.

You're expectations are no higher than mine. I don't like the whole idea of the competitive team instead of the team that is going for the whole thing.

Valencia for Lough was a nice move but on the score of things I agree with you. Go look in that thread and you'll see what I said initially.

However, I get tired of sign anything crowd. It reeks of an immature fan base who still haven't accepted their collective fate. Believe me I'm not happy about it, but in the world of baseball I reside in I am happy to have a field manager who knows his stuff and a FO guy to counter balance the teams meddling owner.

We need to go after 2 of these guys to make it worth losing a pick over. Morales and Jiminez would be a good duo. I do not think just one is worth losing the pick over.

Not a bad idea if we were going to go after one at all. Those would be the two I would target at this point.

We need to go after 2 of these guys to make it worth losing a pick over. Morales and Jiminez would be a good duo. I do not think just one is worth losing the pick over.

Keep in kind, the O's would lose their second rounder if they sign two QO free agents. Not sure if you're taking that into account ("the pick")

Keep in kind, the O's would lose their second rounder if they sign two QO free agents. Not sure if you're taking that into account ("the pick")

Eh, no I wasn't. Back to my original thought process, Burnett and whatever we can cobble together in LF or through trade.

I know right it would suck to have someone that can help us win over this AAAA trash.

He would be an obvious upgrade to the DH position, but he comes with baggage and likely a huge contract that would be difficult to work around if things go south. I can certainly see why he's been on the market for as long as he has.

What in the world makes you think he'll be clean? He didn't fail a test. The chances of him getting caught again are small.

Someone was stating that with the fast acting Testosterone, a player could literally shoot up before batting practice and test clean after the post game spread was done.

He would be an obvious upgrade to the DH position, but he comes with baggage and likely a huge contract that would be difficult to work around if things go south. I can certainly see why he's been on the market for as long as he has.

With that pick attached and with his expectations after having turned down 14.1 million for one year, I expect him to have to wait until the June draft to get a deal.

What in the world makes you think he'll be clean? He didn't fail a test. The chances of him getting caught again are small.

I was assuming he wouldn't want to risk the 100 game suspension and the loss of 2/3 of a year's salary. Once he signs, it doesn't matter how he plays- the money is guaranteed. You might be right though.

Someone was stating that with the fast acting Testosterone, a player could literally shoot up before batting practice and test clean after the post game spread was done.

Testosterone propionate is a short ester, meaning it takes effect and exits much quicker than say, test ethanate, a long ester. The former has a half-life of approximately 96 hours, but it will give you a high T/E (testosterone/epitestosterone) ratio for at least three weeks. Additionally, test prop is usually stacked with a long-ester (detectable for a long time) and prop needs to be administered like every other or three days to have much effect. The shot also hurts like hell, not that I know.

My knowledge is at least 8 years old and perhaps there is something new out there. If someone knows more, please correct me.

There is absolutely zero chance of the Orioles going after anyone that wants much more than $5 million per year. All those that hope they don't because they are afraid of losing the draft pick can rest easy.

Archived