General Feeling Leading up to Winter Meetings??

Peace21

:(

Ugh! I wouldn't be happy at all with a Klesko signing. He missed all but one game or so last year. 2003 through 2005- his numbers were trending downward quickly. Plus he is like 36 yrs old.

I can appreciate the idea of keeping all of the young starters. But, we can also do better than Klesko.

I appreciate that sentiment as well. But I think that 08 is the year that is our triumph. So, giving the current staff a year to rise is imperative. Kelsko was only meant to complement Millar who needs to be kept from vesting :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel great heading into the meetings. I like the fact that Soriano and Lee have been signed so we don't piss time away at the meetings on these guys. We're also willing to deal Penn for a quality piece. Now we need to find someone willing to deal a big bat but there's really not much rumored to be available. Can't fault the FO if they can't find a dance partner.

Feel great heading into the meetings. I like the fact that Soriano and Lee have been signed so we don't piss time away at the meetings on these guys. We're also willing to deal Penn for a quality piece. Now we need to find someone willing to deal a big bat but there's really not much rumored to be available. Can't fault the FO if they can't find a dance partner.

Is Seattle still interested in dealing Sexson?

Is Seattle still interested in dealing Sexson?

I think Sexon is our best bet to get the big bat that we need. Up til now they've been asking Bedard but I'm guessing they have to come down as pitching gets scarce. They were supposed to be interested in Eaton. So it doesn't look like they want to spend too much but they have 2 or three holes to fill.

I'm guessing when all the mediocre pitching gets snapped up for big bucks, the GMs of the "have nots" will starting making phone calls. We are definately in the driver's seat.

So Plan A was Soriano and Lee and Plan B is finding a dance partner? On to Plan C.

I don't understand your reasoning behind this post?

I don't think BB was making excuses, I just think he was stating the obvious in a trade situation.

All he is saying we will trade Penn if the price is right and we need to find that price. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm guessing when all the mediocre pitching gets snapped up for big bucks, the GMs of the "have nots" will starting making phone calls. We are definately in the driver's seat.

Do you really think RLo or Benson is going to bring much in return ?

There seems to be a consensus here that RLO and Benson are a lot more valuable now because of the higher deals that FA SP's are being inked to.

They only become marginally more attractive because of their salary, if that. Benson was overpriced to begin with. And RLo is coming off a horrible year. Whoever wants him would expect to get him at a discount because of the off year. Mench seems to be fair value.

Anyone that is expecting a stud in return for our favorite trading chips (Rlo and Benson) is setting themselves up for a major disappointment, imo.

I really don't think the "have nots" of the world are going to think RLO is the answer to their prayers and start giving up 35 HR- power hitting first basemen for him. That would be shortsighted and robbing Peter in a big way to pay a small stipend to Paul.

But, I hope you are right and I am wrong. :D

Who cares who is "rumored" to be available ?

Rumors aren't deals.

So, now if they don't land a big bat (or an ace SP for that matter) for the ___th year in a row- we can't fault the FO ? :confused:

It is the other teams fault for not making a deal ? :confused:

There seems to be a consensus here that RLO and Benson are a lot more valuable now because of the higher deals that FA SP's are being inked to.

They only become marginally more attractive because of their salary, if that. Benson was overpriced to begin with. And RLo is coming off a horrible year. Whoever wants him would expect to get him at a discount because of the off year. Mench seems to be fair value.

Anyone that is expecting a stud in return for our favorite trading chips (Rlo and Benson) is setting themselves up for a major disappointment, imo.

I really don't think the "have nots" of the world are going to think RLO is the answer to their prayers and start giving up 35 HR- power hitting first basemen for him. That would be shortsighted and robbing Peter in a big way to pay a small stipend to Paul.

I'm not talking about RLo and Benson. Loewen, Cabrera and Penn will seem very valuable after Zito and Schmidt and the mid tier starters are off the table.

I'm not sure you realize how scarce pitching is and how great the demand is. It's so bad that Sir Sydney just might have a job next year. Eaton is making more than Benson. Would you really rather have him. It's not just the price it's the demand. These guys are veteran pitchers with decent career numbers. And they don't tie you down for more than a year.

I'm looking forward to the Winter Meetings. I believe the FO did very well with the Free Agents. They didn't get sidetracked chasing players who were going to get huge contracts or players who they knew wouldn't play in Baltimore. Instead they stuck to their plan and rebuilt the bullpen.

They have a lot of options going into the meetings, and I'm sure they have their agenda together. By being so aggressive with our bullpen signings, they have convinced a lot of baseball folks that the O's are serious.

I really expect something dramatic, remember the FO is also concerned with putting backsides into those seats. Their biggest challenge is convincing O's fans to return to Camden Yards in big numbers.

I'm not sure you realize how scarce pitching is and how great the demand is. It's so bad that Sir Sydney just might have a job next year. Eaton is making more than Benson. Would you really rather have him. It's not just the price it's the demand. These guys are veteran pitchers with decent career numbers. And they don't tie you down for more than a year.

So, lets go and hurry up and corner the market by signing two more FA SP's (Meche and Lilly for ex).

Then Rlo and Benson will be REALLY valuable. We can trade RLo for Crawford and Benson for Pujols. :D Only in fantasyland.

Pitching isn't scarce. :confused:

The whole market is up. Soriano is getting 8/136, Lee is getting 6/100. Why wouldn't the SP's (Eaton for ex) benefit ?

It looks like there is a shortage of 1B and LF to me. :D

Benson and RLO are at best only marginally more valuable today than they were at the deadline.

So, lets go and hurry up and corner the market by signing two more FA SP's (Meche and Lilly for ex).

Then Rlo and Benson will be REALLY valuable. We can trade RLo for Crawford and Benson for Pujols. :D Only in fantasyland.

Pitching isn't scarce. :confused:

The whole market is up. Soriano is getting 8/136, Lee is getting 6/100. Why wouldn't the SP's (Eaton for ex) benefit ?

It looks like there is a shortage of 1B and LF to me. :D

Benson and RLO are at best only marginally more valuable today than they were at the deadline.

Pitching isn't scarce? Have you read this? http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...hil&id=2679907

Archived