O's agree with Ryan Webb on 2-year deal

Os84

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People say this all the time. Are there teams who have had a lot of success in recent years without a specified closer? I don't know.

Players (and their agents) seem to like having set roles. Managers like them also, because it gives them a (false?) sense of security.

I think it has more to do with the not wanting to get in a situation where you use two guys to get the final three outs, or four guys to get the final seven outs.

You want to be able to have one guy go out there and get the outs required so everyone else gets the inning off.

JJ was better through 27 than Webb.

And then had 3 years in a row that Webb's never touched- irrespective of save numbers.

As do I.

That doesn't mean he's as good as JJ has been.

I can see your point. Going forward? Who knows they are both relievers.

Would love for Buck to kill the concept of closer on this team and bury it forever and ever and ever. Unfortunately it's more likely that I will be struck by lightning ten times today, with historic precedent being what it is.

That being said, I like this signing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Would depend on what he replaces it with.

I am not in love with this move. What the O's need in the pen is a guy who can get lefties and righties out. Webb has had trouble getting lefties out throughout his career until last year.

vs lefties

Career 285/361/430/792

2011 276/357/414/771

2012 314/377/431/809

2013 244/324/390/714

In spite of being projected by MLBTR to get 1.5M in arbitration the Marlins didn't feel they could trade Webb. Instead they non tendered him. There is something weird about not thinking that a player is worth 1.5M after 4 years of major league experience in this market.

Probably will be very good vs righties but its questionable if he will be good versus lefties and what the O's need is a pitcher that can get both sides out. JMO.

You're right. But again, going forward we'll have to see. Jonson was 1.5 WAR last year. Webb was 1.2. Webb had his best year to date and is coming into his age 28 season. He had a strong second half. History is on Johnson's side. The future? We'll see.

Yeah, I agree.

In a year we might be saying he's the better pitcher.

As of now, no.

I'm glad some are having their yuks at JJ's expense.

What will they do though when they're ripping this new guy for blowing a late lead, and they're begging for JJ to return?

If he turns out to suck as badly as JJ did last year at least we have the money to pick someone else up in a trade.

Archived