Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

If it's an option year that vests based on number of games played in the last year of the contract, it's good for both.

Well not really. As the team can get out of it by not playing the games needed. Look at Gregg. He never got close to making his option contract.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well not really. As the team can get out of it by not playing the games needed. Look at Gregg. He never got close to making his option contract.

But if he'd pitched well he would have. But you are correct. If the player sucks and loses his role, his option isn't going to vest.

But if he'd pitched well he would have. But you are correct. If the player sucks and loses his role, his option isn't going to vest.

Yeah that is what I am stating. If he pitches well he can't go back on the market and get more salary and if he pitches poorly he becomes a free agent. Option years are totally to the teams benefit. I am sure the Orioles would have no problem giving him an option year. They did it with Chen and Wada, didn't they?

I'm not paying $120+ million for a guy who has had an OPS of .605 and .612 against lefties the last two years, OBP be damned.

That money would be better spent on a considerably cheaper platoon.

:agree: A month ago, I was interested in Choo, but I was thinking something like 4/$60 tops. At this point, with what he is asking, I have no interest at all. It would be much better to try to work a trade with LAD for Kemp or Ethier with them picking up some $. Admittedly, that doesn't look too promising either right now, but I'd rather see us working on that than Choo.

In the interview DD did with MLB.com he said that they were looking to trade for a LH hitter. If that's the case, what are the options?

<iframe src='http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31265365&topic_id=40172882&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

1:50 for that btw.

I'm not paying $120+ million for a guy who has had an OPS of .605 and .612 against lefties the last two years, OBP be damned.

That money would be better spent on a considerably cheaper platoon.

Will the LH half of the platoon have a career .411 OBP vs. RHPs and the RH half have a career OBP of .340 vs. LHPs? Because it's hard to imagine a platoon matching that. Not saying I would do $100+ million for him. Just saying, that's all.

:agree: A month ago, I was interested in Choo, but I was thinking something like 4/$60 tops. At this point, with what he is asking, I have no interest at all. It would be much better to try to work a trade with LAD for Kemp or Ethier with them picking up some $. Admittedly, that doesn't look too promising either right now, but I'd rather see us working on that than Choo.

Ethier hit .221/.275/.338 vs. lefties last year. He's strictly a platoon guy at this point. And he makes $15 million+ for the next four years. Even if they ate $5 million per year, that would be way too much for a platoon guy that's heading into his declining years.

Ethier hit .221/.275/.338 vs. lefties last year. He's strictly a platoon guy at this point. And he makes $15 million+ for the next four years. Even if they ate $5 million per year, that would be way too much for a platoon guy that's heading into his declining years.

Choo was .214/.347/.265 vs. LHP last year and will cost much more than that. Choo is the same age as Ethier and is more dependent on speed for his value. We were discussing as compared to paying Choo what he is asking, remember? Yes, I'd rather work a deal for Ethier if the money can be made to make sense than sign Choo to a 6/$120M contract. You wouldn't?

Choo was .214/.347/.265 vs. LHP last year and will cost much more than that. Choo is the same age as Ethier and is more dependent on speed for his value. We were discussing as compared to paying Choo what he is asking, remember? Yes, I'd rather work a deal for Ethier if the money can be made to make sense than sign Choo to a 6/$120M contract. You wouldn't?

Neither option is particularly appealing in light of our apparent budget constraints. For the record, I wanted a McLouth/Rajai Davis platoon.

But in a vacuum, given the choice between Ethier and Choo, I would probably take Choo- he wouldn't necessarily need to be platooned since he would be the leadoff hitter and his .340 career OBP against lefties would be plenty good enough in that role.

Neither option is particularly appealing in light of our apparent budget constraints. For the record, I wanted a McLouth/Rajai Davis platoon.

But in a vacuum, given the choice between Ethier and Choo, I would probably take Choo- he wouldn't necessarily need to be platooned since he would be the leadoff hitter and his .340 career OBP against lefties would be plenty good enough in that role.

It is not a straight-up choice between the two. Remember the money and the draft choice... and the money. Did I mention the money?

Archived