Balfour speaks...

MemorialStadKid

To me, "offering" implies that they're working on a deal. They were not. The deal was done. 2 years, $14 Mil.; $500k deferred each year. The only thing left was the physical. Personally, I think this was just the O's being cheap. Balfour is 36, but they guaranteed him 2 years because he's the best of what's available on the market (by a pretty decent margin). Whether it was Angelos (get's my vote) or Duquette, someone clearly saw this as an opportunity to possibly get out from guaranteeing $7.5 Mil. to a relief pitcher in his age 37 year.

I used quotations around the word physical because absolutely nothing about this seems right to me. The O's doctor's find some mysterious problem during Balfour's MRI; something that no previous doctor has found. Meanwhile, Balfour has two doctor's, both of whom have ties to MLB and have no reason to lie say that Balfour is completely healthy.

I guess it's a moot point since it's basically a He Said/She Said at this point ... but if I'm going to believe someone, I have a hard time believing the one working for an owner who is notorious for not wanting to pay for pitching. Especially when they can hide behind HIPAA (no idea of that's the right abreviation) and not say what was supposedly wrong w/ Balfour.

I can only assume that this is in reference to why Oakland didn't try and resign Balfour. If so, TonySoprano already answered this.

Balfour is 36 and wanted multiple years. Beane only needed a stopgap because he has guys coming up that will probably fill that role. Johnson filled that need, Balfour did not. He also got the added bonus of Johnson being 6 years younger than Balfour; something that will definitely be attractive if things change and Beane needs to trade him at the deadline.

Not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

It is amazing to me that you apparently believe that the Orioles worked for weeks to sign Balfour to a contract at a team-friendly price for the express purpose of intentionally squashing the deal by having three highly-paid doctors put their professional reputations on the line by deliberately falsifying a medical report. The absurdity of your conspiracy theory defies all logic. Clearly nothing can convince you that your suspicions are unfounded, so there is no reason to continue this conversation. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>?<a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm">@JimBowdenESPNxm</a>: Grant Balfour joins us 11:30 a.m. unplugged Sirius 209 XM 89?- should be a great interview <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio">@MLBNetworkRadio</a></p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

">December 22, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I read that last night as well. And considering its doubtful he gets a better one year with a vesting second than what the Orioles have offered it wouldn't shock me if he came back to the birds. But cooler heads will have to prevail. Clearly.

One year deal with two vesting options would be a nice compromise. Reduces O's risk for the second year and gives him the vesting option for a third they refused to give him before.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kremchek has known Balfour since '04 , performed TJ and fixed his rotator cuff a year later</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kremchek - has a personal relationship with Balfour, He married Kremchek's personal assistant a few years later..</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Most teams would do a contrast MRI with saline, esp from a pitcher who's had a history of surgery … i.e. Balfour</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

One year deal with two vesting options would be a nice compromise. Reduces O's risk for the second year and gives him the vesting option for a third they refused to give him before.

I would be okay with this. The first vesting option could be based on innings or appearances, and the 2nd could be based on games finished. That way, if he loses the closer role in year 2, we aren't on the hook. If he's so confident in his health and ability, he should be okay with that deal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kremchek's final comment "you just can't go strictly on MRI"s on a 37 year old pitcher…We (Cinci) have signed pitchers with worse conditions</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Balfour "I haven't had a DL stint in 8 years and 2 doctors who said I was healthy"</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Balfour "4 teams are interested in my services and I have at least 1 offer on the table." <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio">@MLBNetworkRadio</a></p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Balfour - " had a 2nd MRI that was enhanced that showed the same thing as the first MRI"</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

Great!!!

Glad I got a chance to rip PA just a little bit on the air... as if he or anyone else cares. But they're really not holding much back with what they're saying about the organization. That someone literally just wanted to pull out of the deal, and this was their way out.

Archived