Price tag for Santana & Jimenez has come down to 14.1 -14.6 $mill per season for 3/4 year deals

xian4

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speak for yourself. Some people can watch a player and get a feel for how well they will do. E.g. I don't need to look at any numbers to know Manny is one of the best players in the MLB. And I don't need to look at numbers to see that Gonzo is a solid consistent mid rotation SP. I don't see that with either Santana or Jimenez. They lack the make up. Would anyone call either of them a cold killer? Like wise I don't see much hope for Britton. He doesn't have the make up. Tillman does.

Ahem, this is from June 19, 2012, about 15 days before Tillman's first major league start that year:

I have no faith in Tillman. He has looked good in AAA before. I don't think he has the moxie to pitch in the ML. We have a chance to contend, and I don't want to waste any more games giving him a chance to prove that this time it's any different.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122589-Moyer-or-Tillman-in-Line-for-Hunter-s-Next-Start?p=2799568&highlight=Tillman#post2799568

If Peter Angelos had a quarter of the success of Al Davis we would all be VERY happy Orioles fans!

Source... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis

Yeah, I guess it's better to have success, even if most of it was 30+ years ago, than little to none at all. ;)
Ahem, this is from June 19, 2012, about 15 days before Tillman's first major league start that year:
So are you saying there's a Gordo jinx as powerful as the famous Frobby jinx? :D

So are you saying there's a Gordo jinx as powerful as the famous Frobby jinx? :D

I'm saying that it's always risky to predict how a young pitcher will do in the future, or to assess his "makeup" or "moxie." Pitchers develop (or don't) in mysterious ways. I have no idea whether Britton can suddenly emerge the way Tillman eventually did. I just know that most people, including El Gordo, had their doubts about Tillman before he popped.

I'm saying that it's always risky to predict how a young pitcher will do in the future, or to assess his "makeup" or "moxie." Pitchers develop (or don't) in mysterious ways. I have no idea whether Britton can suddenly emerge the way Tillman eventually did. I just know that most people, including El Gordo, had their doubts about Tillman before he popped.

It is still risky to predict how a young pitcher will do in the future. There was a 25 year old pitcher who had had struggles at age 23 and 24 with Atlanta and then was traded and "popped" to a 15-7 record with 3.71 ERA. That pitcher was Jason Marquis. His next year was 13-14 and the year after was 14-16 with an ERA over 6. I am hopeful that Chris will be a consistent winning number two type pitcher, but I would not be surprised if he still turned out differently than "common wisdom" now which assumes that he is a "given."

I doubt he had to outbid other teams for FAs to come to Boston. Different city calls for a different approach. This offseason sucks because Peter Angelos is standing on the way. He will forever curse this team like Al Davis of the Raiders.

Well ....... in that particular context, you could also argue that Tex Schramm and Tom Landry cursed the Cowboys.

5 consecutive losing seasons, including a combined 4-28 mark in 1988-1989.

THE COWBOYS' FINAL 3 SEASONS UNDER SCHRAMM AND LANDRY

1986: 7-9

1987: 7-8

1988: 3-13

THE COWBOYS' FIRST 2 SEASONS AFTER THE DEPARTURE OF SCHRAMM AND LANDRY

1989: 1-15

1990: 7-9

Speak for yourself. Some people can watch a player and get a feel for how well they will do. E.g. I don't need to look at any numbers to know Manny is one of the best players in the MLB. And I don't need to look at numbers to see that Gonzo is a solid consistent mid rotation SP. I don't see that with either Santana or Jimenez. They lack the make up. Would anyone call either of them a cold killer? Like wise I don't see much hope for Britton. He doesn't have the make up. Tillman does.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122589-Moyer-or-Tillman-in-Line-for-Hunter-s-Next-Start?p=2799568&highlight=Tillman#post2799568

Bill-Rusell-blocks-shot.jpg

tumblr_mjofmzUPE11s5bhx0o1_400.gif

I'll admit I had my doubts about Tillman. I thought his fastball was too flat with little movement. The biggest change I noticed last year was his ability to command his fastball better and attack the strike zone with secondary pitches. I was wrong in my judgement and I'm happy I was. Like you say, you never really know how and when they will develop but the light goes of and there they are.

It is still risky to predict how a young pitcher will do in the future. There was a 25 year old pitcher who had had struggles at age 23 and 24 with Atlanta and then was traded and "popped" to a 15-7 record with 3.71 ERA. That pitcher was Jason Marquis. His next year was 13-14 and the year after was 14-16 with an ERA over 6. I am hopeful that Chris will be a consistent winning number two type pitcher, but I would not be surprised if he still turned out differently than "common wisdom" now which assumes that he is a "given."

I agree. I'm optimistic about Tillman, but he still has more to prove.

Archived