Price tag for Santana & Jimenez has come down to 14.1 -14.6 $mill per season for 3/4 year deals

xian4

None of our pitchers have put up consistent numbers like Santana, only one of his last six seasons have been bad:

2013 - 211 IP, 1.14 WHIP

2012 - 178 IP, 1.27 WHIP

2011 - 228 IP, 1.22 WHIP

2010 - 222 IP, 1.32 WHIP

2009 - 139 IP, 1.47 WHIP

2008 - 219 IP, 1.11 WHIP

I mean seriously, isnt this what we want out of our young guys? Santana already is this guy.

None of our pitchers have had more than 3 full seasons yet. Sometimes you just have to watch them pitch.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None of our pitchers have had more than 3 full seasons yet. Sometimes you just have to watch them pitch.

Agreed, so we have no clue how they will perform by year 3. Why not get a Santana in the rotation to go along with these guys and better your rotation? You arent hurting your development as Gausman should be in AAA to start the season anyway...

What? Stealing money from poverty stricken kids doesn't appeal to you? ;)
Jim Bowden resigned as the general manager of the Washington Nationals on Sunday, representing the most prominent figure yet to lose his job in the wake of investigations into the skimming of signing bonuses for Dominican prospects.

New York Times.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/sports/2008/7/12/28633/FBI-investigates-signing-of-Dominican-prospects

Federal authorities and Major League Baseball are investigating Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden and special assistant Jose Rijo for their possible roles in a growing financial scandal involving the signing of players from the Dominican Republic

Agreed, so we have no clue how they will perform by year 3. Why not get a Santana in the rotation to go along with these guys and better your rotation? You arent hurting your development as Gausman should be in AAA to start the season anyway...
Speak for yourself. Some people can watch a player and get a feel for how well they will do. E.g. I don't need to look at any numbers to know Manny is one of the best players in the MLB. And I don't need to look at numbers to see that Gonzo is a solid consistent mid rotation SP. I don't see that with either Santana or Jimenez. They lack the make up. Would anyone call either of them a cold killer? Like wise I don't see much hope for Britton. He doesn't have the make up. Tillman does.

What? Stealing money from poverty stricken kids doesn't appeal to you? ;)
No I'm for all sorts of cheating. It's the American way. I just don't like it when cheaters call other cheaters, cheaters like it was a bad thing. It's trying to give good honest cheating a bad name. :mwahaha:

Speak for yourself. Some people can watch a player and get a feel for how well they will do. E.g. I don't need to look at any numbers to know Manny is one of the best players in the MLB. And I don't need to look at numbers to see that Gonzo is a solid consistent mid rotation SP. I don't see that with either Santana or Jimenez. They lack the make up. Would anyone call either of them a cold killer? Like wise I don't see much hope for Britton. He doesn't have the make up. Tillman does.

So how many games have you seen Santana pitch? You are going to question his makeup, but how many times have you seen him pitch? Makes no sense...he is just as good if not better then Gonzo, according to the numbers. You cant just dismiss numbers over the eye test on everything. I do agree Jiminez is not worth getting...

And again, you are still pitching Gonzo and Chen....Santana would be taking starts from Britton/ McFarland/ whoever else.

Surely you recognize that Santana is better then one of those guys?

So how many games have you seen Santana pitch? You are going to question his makeup, but how many times have you seen him pitch? Makes no sense...
Enough to know he's a squirrel. He couldn't win an away game ever when he was with the Angels. Why do you think they want no part of him again. Ask your self this, who would you rather have facing the Yankees, Gonzo or Santana. I know who I'd want. I'll give you a hint It's the guy with the 3.52 ERA v the AL East not the guy with the 4.96 ERA.

You sound like a theater critic, and a bad one at that. Shame on you.

Enough to know he's a squirrel. He couldn't win an away game ever when he was with the Angels. Why do you think they want no part of him again. Ask your self this, who would you rather have facing the Yankees, Gonzo or Santana. I know who I'd want. I'll give you a hint It's the guy with the 3.52 ERA v the AL East not the guy with the 4.96 ERA.

I would want whoever was pitching better at that moment. Again though, you can have BOTH on your team. Over 162 games you need a solid 1-5, having Santana in that rotation over a Britton type pitcher increases your odds of being better over a season.

What happens if Chen or Gonzo are injured, and you do not get Santana? Then you have two lame ducks in the rotation instead of one...

I would want whoever was pitching better at that moment. Again though, you can have BOTH on your team. Over 162 games you need a solid 1-5, having Santana in that rotation over a Britton type pitcher increases your odds of being better over a season.

What happens if Chen or Gonzo are injured, and you do not get Santana? Then you have two lame ducks in the rotation instead of one...

Fully agree. I hope the O's are serious about getting one of Burnett/Santana/Jimenez. It looks like the value will be there.

Archived