Price tag for Santana & Jimenez has come down to 14.1 -14.6 $mill per season for 3/4 year deals

xian4

I doubt he had to outbid other teams for FAs to come to Boston. Different city calls for a different approach. This offseason sucks because Peter Angelos is standing on the way. He will forever curse this team like Al Davis of the Raiders.
Well ....... in that particular context, you could also argue that Tex Schramm and Tom Landry cursed the Cowboys.

5 consecutive losing seasons, including a combined 4-28 mark in 1988-1989.

THE COWBOYS' FINAL 3 SEASONS UNDER SCHRAMM AND LANDRY

1986: 7-9

1987: 7-8

1988: 3-13

THE COWBOYS' FIRST 2 SEASONS AFTER THE DEPARTURE OF SCHRAMM AND LANDRY

1989: 1-15

1990: 7-9

Although, now that I think about it ......... your analogy is not necessarily as whacky as I had originally thought (albeit, Al Davis owned the Raiders for the entire period that I am about to breakdown, whereas the Orioles had 4 different owners under said period, which makes a HUGE difference.) But the straight comparison of the two franchises in the same time frame are very similar.

The Orioles and the Raiders had very similar success from right around the same time frame.

From 1966-1983, the Orioles won 6 American League Pennants, 3 World Series, plus 2 additional A.L. East division titles.

From 1967-1983, the Raiders won 5 Conference (League) Championships, and 3 Super Bowls.

From 1984-2002, the Raiders won 1 more Conference Championship, and had 9 winning seasons, 5 losing seasons, and five .500 seasons.

From 1984-1997, the Orioles had similar success in making back-to-back appearances in the A.L.C.S., plus they also had 7 winning seasons, and 7 losing seasons.

Since their Super Bowl appearance in 2002, the Raiders have had 0 winning seasons, 9 losing seasons, and two .500 seasons.

From 1998-2011, the Orioles had 14 consecutive losing seasons.

So in the overall time frame from the mid 60's through the present, I would say advantage Raiders, particularly because our recent losing streak (14 straight seasons) is worse than their current losing streak (0-9-2 over the last 11 seasons.)

But not as huge an advantage as I had originally presumed when I first read TERPS 19's post.

However ......... as I noted before, Davis owned the Raiders for the entire stretch from 1967 until his death in 2011, whereas Angelos has only owned the Orioles since 1993, hence their glory era from 1966-1983 was not on Peter's (ownership) watch, which makes all the difference. ;)

But the Raiders are starting to rival our horrible stretch of futility (1998-2011) with their current 0-9-2 run, the first 8 and a half years having been played under Al Davis' ownership, and the last 2 and-a-half years under his son Mark's and his widow Carol's helm.

Fun with sports history. :)

ORIOLES FRANCHISE RECORD:. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/

RAIDERS FRANCHISE RECORD:. http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/raiders

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahem, this is from June 19, 2012, about 15 days before Tillman's first major league start that year:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122589-Moyer-or-Tillman-in-Line-for-Hunter-s-Next-Start?p=2799568&highlight=Tillman#post2799568

Tillman impressed me last year. He hadn't previously. I think his work with Peterson was a major factor.

I'm saying that it's always risky to predict how a young pitcher will do in the future, or to assess his "makeup" or "moxie." Pitchers develop (or don't) in mysterious ways. I have no idea whether Britton can suddenly emerge the way Tillman eventually did. I just know that most people, including El Gordo, had their doubts about Tillman before he popped.

I didn't, but I liked Britton, too. If you are talking about makeup I think they both have it. I've seen Britton look quite determined out on the hill at times. My friend who I played HS ball with coached him as a kid and said he was ultra competitive back then. That doesn't always mean the stuff translates. The shoulder injury may have changed the trajectory of his career.

I don't know if Britton can be successful in the bigs but this season is his last chance with the O's. If he cant pitch into the sixth consistently then he can't start. He is out of options so I think someone would pick him up and give him another shot. But Buck has zero patience for Britton. He either has to produce early and often or he is gone.

Ahem, this is from June 19, 2012, about 15 days before Tillman's first major league start that year:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122589-Moyer-or-Tillman-in-Line-for-Hunter-s-Next-Start?p=2799568&highlight=Tillman#post2799568

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on this site.

Having said that, I think El Gordo is probably right about Britton.

Only on the Orioles does "he's out of options" translate into "he has to start the season in the rotation."

Although, now that I think about it ......... your analogy is not necessarily as whacky as I had originally thought (albeit, Al Davis owned the Raiders for the entire period that I am about to breakdown, whereas the Orioles had 4 different owners under said period, which makes a HUGE difference.) But the straight comparison of the two franchises in the same time frame are very similar.

The Orioles and the Raiders had very similar success from right around the same time frame.

From 1966-1983, the Orioles won 6 American League Pennants, 3 World Series, plus 2 additional A.L. East division titles.

From 1967-1983, the Raiders won 5 Conference (League) Championships, and 3 Super Bowls.

From 1984-2002, the Raiders won 1 more Conference Championship, and had 9 winning seasons, 5 losing seasons, and five .500 seasons.

From 1984-1997, the Orioles had similar success in making back-to-back appearances in the A.L.C.S., plus they also had 7 winning seasons, and 7 losing seasons.

Since their Super Bowl appearance in 2002, the Raiders have had 0 winning seasons, 9 losing seasons, and two .500 seasons.

From 1998-2011, the Orioles had 14 consecutive losing seasons.

So in the overall time frame from the mid 60's through the present, I would say advantage Raiders, particularly because our recent losing streak (14 straight seasons) is worse than their current losing streak (0-9-2 over the last 11 seasons.)

But not as huge an advantage as I had originally presumed when I first read TERPS 19's post.

However ......... as I noted before, Davis owned the Raiders for the entire stretch from 1967 until his death in 2011, whereas Angelos has only owned the Orioles since 1993, hence their glory era from 1966-1983 was not on Peter's (ownership) watch, which makes all the difference. ;)

But the Raiders are starting to rival our horrible stretch of futility (1998-2011) with their current 0-9-2 run, the first 8 and a half years having been played under Al Davis' ownership, and the last 2 and-a-half years under his son Mark's and his widow Carol's helm.

Fun with sports history. :)

ORIOLES FRANCHISE RECORD:. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/

RAIDERS FRANCHISE RECORD:. http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/raiders

One more commonality between the two franchises....we're gonna be stuck with the Angelos boys after Peter passes. And from what I've heard, they are worse than he is.

One more commonality between the two franchises....we're gonna be stuck with the Angelos boys after Peter passes. And from what I've heard, they are worse than he is.
I'd be curious to know what you've heard. I would think that as children of privilege unlike their father, they wouldn't be as distrustful and narrow minded, as ruthless or as disdainful of all things baseball. They are former fantasy baseball players so they probably think they know something about the game, but I would suspect a smart real baseball guy like Buck could lead them around by the nose. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't know that much about them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source told me Os interest in Ervin Santana has increased since Arroyo signed w Ariz. Not sure of intensity, but theyre still in on Santana</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd be curious to know what you've heard. I would that as children of privilege unlike their father, they wouldn't be as distrustful and narrow minded, as ruthless or as disdainful of all things baseball. They are former fantasy baseball players so they probably think the know something about the game, but I would suspect a smart real baseball guy like Buck could lead them around by the nose. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't know that much about them.

I know nothing about them either, but you wonder if the franchise won't be sold as part of the estate disposition. Irsay, Jr. was certainly much a better owner than Irsay, Sr.

I know nothing about them either, but you wonder if the franchise won't be sold as part of the estate disposition. Irsay, Jr. was certainly much a better owner than Irsay, Sr.

True. I'll also add that Jim Irsay was a horrible GM before becoming a terrific owner. Maybe one of the Angelos sons can similarly surprise us.

I'd be curious to know what you've heard. I would think that as children of privilege unlike their father, they wouldn't be as distrustful and narrow minded, as ruthless or as disdainful of all things baseball. They are former fantasy baseball players so they probably think they know something about the game, but I would suspect a smart real baseball guy like Buck could lead them around by the nose. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't know that much about them.

I shall defer to Tony Soprano to dig up all his old materials, as he always does so well.

"We'll see if those situations come back available. If not, we feel good about this club, we feel good about our core. We've got some guys that are deserving of opportunities and if they can't capitalize on those, then we begin to look elsewhere."

"We'll see if those situations come back available. If not, we feel good about this club, we feel good about our core. We've got some guys that are deserving of opportunities and if they can't capitalize on those, then we begin to look elsewhere."

Sounds like no Santana, Jimenez, or Burnett...unless they are willing to play for food.

Archived