Assuming we use a draft pick to get Jimenez or Santana, shall we go ahead and get Morales?

Frobby

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He could pay 1B when Davis leaves.

Badly, and for one year.

LookinUp and CoC are right...if the options are Santana/Morales or Santana/Jimenez, then the latter is the obvious choice. Adding two #3-type starters with #2 upside to the rotation would be a coup...at least compared to getting the lower-ceiling starter along with a DH.

I'd venture that some combination of Young, Pearce, Reimold and Urrutia could do that.

Did you venture to say the same thing last year?

It's easy to say a platoon or a group of players will out produce last years production but most said the same thing last year about 2b and dh.

Badly, and for one year.

LookinUp and CoC are right...if the options are Santana/Morales or Santana/Jimenez, then the latter is the obvious choice. Adding two #3-type starters with #2 upside to the rotation would be a coup...at least compared to getting the lower-ceiling starter along with a DH.

How about all 3 of Santana, Jimenez, & Morales? I'm sure they would all take 2 year deals for us.

Did you venture to say the same thing last year?

It's easy to say a platoon or a group of players will out produce last years production but most said the same thing last year about 2b and dh.

If Reimold and Betemit hadn't both been injured I'm pretty sure they would have been fine. As it was Betemit was the one we never could replace. I am not expecting all of them to be injured again this year. I like Henry for the LH DH, but we do need some back up, we are short on LH hitters.

Putting aside his personal issues, I've always liked Aceves' repetoire. He has a 4.29 ERA in 15 career starts. To me he's a candidate to be a big surprise for this team.

Not putting aside the personal issues, Buck is the perfect manager for a guy like him. And I agree, he was flat out nasty a couple years ago. Diamond in the rough.

Funny you should ask this, Frobby. I wrote an article about it for PressBox last night: http://www.pressboxonline.com/2014/02/11/should-orioles-give-up-first-round-pick-for-veteran-help

My conclusion -- and it might not be a popular one -- is yes, give up the first two draft picks and sign Santana/Jimenez and Morales. The next two years might be the Orioles' best chance at winning, and I'm willing to surrender a No. 17 pick and a second-rounder for players who can upgrade the current team.

Funny you should ask this, Frobby. I wrote an article about it for PressBox last night: http://www.pressboxonline.com/2014/02/11/should-orioles-give-up-first-round-pick-for-veteran-help

My conclusion -- and it might not be a popular one -- is yes, give up the first two draft picks and sign Santana/Jimenez and Morales. The next two years might be the Orioles' best chance at winning, and I'm willing to surrender a No. 17 pick and a second-rounder for players who can upgrade the current team.

I think most on OH are ready to give up the two picks to make a run at things for the next two years.

I'm with you on this, but for selfish reasons. I want to see another WS in my lifetime, and if we do nothing the next two years that isn't likely to happen. But would Santana/Morales be enough to get us to the playoffs?

I'm with you on this, but for selfish reasons. I want to see another WS in my lifetime, and if we do nothing the next two years that isn't likely to happen. But would Santana/Morales be enough to get us to the playoffs?

Santana was a 3.0 WAR and Morales was a 2.7 WAR.

You think that is enough to get this team into the Playoffs?

Archived