Assuming we use a draft pick to get Jimenez or Santana, shall we go ahead and get Morales?

Frobby

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a reason these guys are unsigned. I don't want to give up a draft pick and add the 20-25 million we would need to sign them. For long term success, this team needs to draft well, develop well and resign what they drafted and developed. Seems to me that the failure of this offseason isn't so much that we didn't sign any overpriced free agents, the failure is that we didn't extend Hardy, Davis or Wieters. If we have 25 million to spend, let's spend it on our own. You want to be considered a serious franchise, lock up your core. If you have Hardy, Manny, Davis, Jones and Wieters for the next five years, the Balfour episode will become irrelevant and we can pick and choose a targeted free agent or two.

I've come to the reluctant conclusion that giving up the pick to sign Santana and Jimenez is a necessarily evil, given that the O's have a chance to win now and really need an upgrade to the rotation.

But I don't want to sign Morales even if it only costs a second round pick. Morales isn't going to produce that much more than a platoon of Urrutia/Paul and Pearce/Young. If we don't sign him now, he may just wait it out until June; we can always sign him then if we need a bat.

Thanks for fixing that comment. I should have said one of the best pens we've had. We've had some over the years. After the Arroyo rumors started spreading about him being afraid to take our physical I'm not sure if Santana, Morales or Jimenez will be able to pass our physical.

Thanks for fixing that comment. I should have said one of the best pens we've had. We've had some over the years. After the Arroyo rumors started spreading about him being afraid to take our physical I'm not sure if Santana, Morales or Jimenez will be able to pass our physical.

If we put aside all the Angelos bias for a second (not saying you 18, just us all in general) is it such a bad thing that the Orioles have a stringent physical requirement? We obviously don't have (or at least are not willing to have) the budget that the Yanks do where we could easily eat a bad contract for an injured player, so putting them through a physical is not a bad idea, in my opinion anyway.

Now, if the rumors are true that Balfour's failed physical is from scar tissue or whatever from an injury ten years ago, then yeah, that's a problem, but the physical itself I have no issue with.

Yet, they have sign and re-signed many guys by the same medical team.

I think there are a variety of reasons, players are not lining up to play for this team, and I suspect that the blame that is being place on the Balflour fiasco, is probably down the list some.

Yet, they have sign and re-signed many guys by the same medical team.

I think there are a variety of reasons, players are not lining up to play for this team, and I suspect that the blame that is being place on the Balflour fiasco, is probably down the list some.

I agree. The top three reasons on the list are Money....Money....and oh yeah, Money!

Yes it did. The combined production at second base last year was more than adequate. We'll see how Flaherty and a platoon partner does this year.

We were below the league average ops by about 40 points last year.

Now I'm a big Flaherty fan, but that needs to improve this year to help cover any decline at other positions.

We were below the league average ops by about 40 points last year.

Now I'm a big Flaherty fan, but that needs to improve this year to help cover any decline at other positions.

To me, the only places we could see decline is Davis and/or Jones, and even their decline will not be drastic. Wieters, Kakes, Flaherty, our Left Fielder, and our DH ALL should have better offensive seasons than last year. It would be hard not to. Manny should improve upon already solid numbers, and Hardy is what he is....a fine fielding slugger.

If we put aside all the Angelos bias for a second (not saying you 18, just us all in general) is it such a bad thing that the Orioles have a stringent physical requirement? We obviously don't have (or at least are not willing to have) the budget that the Yanks do where we could easily eat a bad contract for an injured player, so putting them through a physical is not a bad idea, in my opinion anyway.

Now, if the rumors are true that Balfour's failed physical is from scar tissue or whatever from an injury ten years ago, then yeah, that's a problem, but the physical itself I have no issue with.

The issue is never about the physicals or saving ourselves from future disaster.

The issue is with the perception it puts on the organization around baseball. And when it takes a "perfect storm" for us to sign a free agent that perception doesn't help.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> remain interested in free-agent Kendrys Morales and continue to be in contact with his reps, according to an industry source.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> remain interested in free-agent Kendrys Morales and continue to be in contact with his reps, according to an industry source.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Insert player X for Kendrys Morales...

You expect this owner to shell out $25 million in the last week before spring training to get the payroll up to $110 million??

"Should" we get him...IF we sign a player that takes a pick......uh yeah. We "should".

"Will" we even sign player 1, much less player 2?? Probably not.

The odds of us signing both are non existent. Zero. None.

The Orioles aren't signing Burnett, Jimenez, or Santana.

One down, one to go?

Archived