Oliver Drake

CharmCityHokie

o

****** OMAJOR LEAGUE DEBUTO ******

(vs. MARLINS, May 23rd)

Outstanding major league debut.

3 shutout innings late in a scoreless game, and he made an excellent defensive play to save the game (for the time being) when he covered home plate and tagged the runner out on the passed ball/wild pitch.

Over those 3 innings, Drake allowed 2 hits (both singles), 0 walks, and struck out 2.

Very good strikes-to-balls ratio: O37 Pitches (25 Strikes, 12 Balls.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody notice the shots in the game yesterday showing how wide he grips the ball on the split? Dude must have some big digits.

Yeah, saw that. I have big hands but never had any success when I tried throwing that pitch. My fingers aren't long enough. I like his splitter. Nasty.

His stuff didn't look that great to me, but it certainly perplexed the Marlins. I agree with Roy, I want to see him some more.

Well, he did it again yesterday. He seems to get batters to swing and miss at his splitter even though he's throwing it in the strike zone, which is unusual.

What I noticed at the game yesterday watching the pitching signs is that Drake was throwing his fastball at 91 mph and throwing his changeup at 81 mph. A 10 mph difference. If he can do that with control, he should be able to have some success.

What I noticed at the game yesterday watching the pitching signs is that Drake was throwing his fastball at 91 mph and throwing his changeup at 81 mph. A 10 mph difference. If he can do that with control, he should be able to have some success.

What I noticed at the game yesterday was that the scoreboard operator insisted on calling his splitter a change up.

What I noticed at the game yesterday was that the scoreboard operator insisted on calling his splitter a change up.

The automated systems often pick them up that way. They are usually massaged later by the data compilers. Even then there's often a lot of debate about what stuff really was.

Archived