Jim Palmer Memorable Quotes 2014

TonySoprano

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if you recuse me for my 40 year friendship with Palmer, I'd still say he's among the very best color analysts in baseball if not the very best.Outspoken, insightful and funny,my only gripe with Cakes as an announcer is that he isn't there enough.But its his life and his choice.One things for sure.He sure isn't a "homer".

I agree with what you are saying about "Cakes". I wish I could hear him more.

Yeh, that whole exposition about out of shape players and how they should be treated was special. Palmer was on a roll tonight.

My 2nd favorite was when the very attractive ball girl fielded a ball down the left field line. She was tall, thin, long straight dark brown-to-black hair, 20ish. Palmer quipped "with a look like that, she should to be playing on a volleyball court somewhere." No response from Hunter about the girl at all but he makes some sort of game remark. Palmer follows up with "they've got her playing the hot corner." You could almost feel Hunter getting uncomfortable which pleases Palmer to no end IMHO. It was brilliant and the last one was a pretty decent double entendre.

Btw, along the lines of screwing with Hunter, first pitch of the game tonight set the tone.

Hunter: Iwakuma starts Nick off with some sort of off speed pitch at 87 mph.

Palmer: Actually, Jim, that was his fastball.

Palmer was right BTW.

It is obvious to me how much fun he has announcing for this team now. It wasn't always this way for equally obvious reasons.

"Ahhhh....The Chenster."

Even if you recuse me for my 40 year friendship with Palmer, I'd still say he's among the very best color analysts in baseball if not the very best.Outspoken, insightful and funny,my only gripe with Cakes as an announcer is that he isn't there enough.But its his life and his choice.One things for sure.He sure isn't a "homer".

Actually, I think he is a "homer" in the best way. He doesn't outwardly root for the team while doing a broadcast, but you know he wants them to succeed and isn't afraid to point out the warts.

Actually, I think he is a "homer" in the best way. He doesn't outwardly root for the team while doing a broadcast, but you know he wants them to succeed and isn't afraid to point out the warts.

Agreed. I noted last night how upset he seemed that Britton didn't throw over the All-Star break. He said hopefully that's something that will never happen again. I got the sense in his mind the one bad pitch Friday night in Oakland was on account of that.

I remember when they gave Ponson $22M and he had to go through the door sideways. They said, "well he's got 6 weeks to get himself into shape for Spring Training."

This was awesome. Then he went on to say how disgusting it was for a player to come to camp in that kind of condition. He said the Orioles should have sent him to the minors to get into shape.

Palmer and Jesse Ventura, telling it like it is!

Agreed. I noted last night how upset he seemed that Britton didn't throw over the All-Star break. He said hopefully that's something that will never happen again. I got the sense in his mind the one bad pitch Friday night in Oakland was on account of that.

No doubt it was. If we lose by a game...

7/27/2014 on the replay of Seager getting thrown out easily by Markakis trying for second on a ball off the wall:

Hunter: [something about Nick's great arm]

Palmer: "I think this was just a case of Kyle Seager having too much Starbucks this morning."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived