Jim Palmer Memorable Quotes 2014

TonySoprano

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was at the Orioles Fanfest and said to Dan Duquette, “Ah, the most well-rested G.M. in baseball.” I have that kind of relationship with him. He started laughing. He said hopefully we’re not done. Then they go out and get Jimenez and Cruz. Jimenez had a great last 16 games last year. Cruz’s power will help replace Nate McLouth offensively, although he won’t be as good defensively or give you the same speed.

I love their core players: Matt Wieters, Adam Jones, Chris Davis, J. J. Hardy, Nick Markakis, who was not healthy last year, Manny Machado. Brooks Robinson told me, I’m not sure if Machado’s not better than I was. That’s quite a statement. I see them as contenders.

Jim always good for a quote.

QUESTION: Is there a pitcher who reminds you of you?

ANSWER: Michael Wacha of the Cardinals has a similar windup. He comes over the top and throws hard. He has the big curveball. We both got to the big leagues very early.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/sports/baseball/30-seconds-with-jim-palmer.html?action=click&contentCollection=Baseball&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

I get the dislike for Pedroia, but I think we can agree it's a respectful dislike.The guy is a ballplayer.David Ortiz I have no respect for.

I loved the Sox game last season when Ortiz acted like a diva and smashed something near the dugout (bat?) and it almost hit Pedroia. Pedroia got in his face, and though he later did the team thing and said he was just trying to keep Ortiz from getting suspended, what he was really doing was telling him to stop being an ass. I don't root for him, but I respect him.

I loved the Sox game last season when Ortiz acted like a diva and smashed something near the dugout (bat?) and it almost hit Pedroia. Pedroia got in his face, and though he later did the team thing and said he was just trying to keep Ortiz from getting suspended, what he was really doing was telling him to stop being an ass. I don't root for him, but I respect him.

I agree wholeheartedly. Pedroia is a guy I could imagine being a big fan of if he were an Oriole. Papi... is a guy I would tolerate if he were an Oriole.

If there's a guy I would compare Pedroia to it would be Hall of Famer Bobby Doerr. Both played 2B, both were/are Boston lifers and both are unquestioned leaders on the team. And both have a career OPS+ in the 115-116 range. Both are under 6 ft tall (Pedroia's about three inches shorter than Doerr).

It was the bullpen phone.

Archived