2014 Miguel Gonzalez Today

Il BuonO

Gonzo served up several 90-91 MPH meatballs tonight and was lucky to get out of there only giving up 3. I don't think he can get away with that over the long haul.

He made some big pitches when he had to-- froze Soriano on a beautiful curve to end his outing-- but it was not a confidence-instilling performance.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd only give him two more starts to show something. If he gets blasted in his next two starts, time for Gausman. If Gausman isn't already in the rotation in place of Norris. If that's the case, time for Britton.

Tough crowd. We've seen far worse come through here in Baltimore than Miguel Gonzalez.

I'd only give him two more starts to show something. If he gets blasted in his next two starts, time for Gausman. If Gausman isn't already in the rotation in place of Norris. If that's the case, time for Britton.

Gonzo deserves more than 4 starts, IMHO. Would you have given up on Ubaldo after 5 starts in March/April of last year?

Tough crowd. We've seen far worse come through here in Baltimore than Miguel Gonzalez.

We have guys who can be better than Gonzo, though. In this division, the team needs to make quick adjustments. One or two games throughout the course of the entire season could easily be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. Doesn't matter if we had worse come through Baltimore. That was in the past when we had losing teams.

If Gonzalez has another couple bad starts, that means we're directly losing ground to competitors in the AL East. We can't afford to be patient. Gonzalez is not much better than league average, anyway. Trying someone like Gausman or Britton would be a move with much more potential reward compared to the risk or replacing our #4 starter who has middling stuff.

Gonzo could easily be our 2nd best starter this year depending on Jimenez and is currently our #3. He had nearly identical numbers to Tillman last year, yet people are saying he should be out of the rotation? Chill. He had a near 5 ERA last April, and got better after. He's made two starts and showed improvement in the 2nd one. Regardless of how he looked, he only gave up 3 ER in 6 IP, a quality start, and a start that I'm sure the majority of us would take every time in the Bronx. He will get better, same with Chen and Jimenez. If you're talking about getting moved out of the rotation for poor performance, Norris will be the first one moved, if it comes to that. Miguel has been too good the last 2 years for him not to get at least 10-15 starts, and I'm sure by then he will be the stone cold killer.

He salvaged a solid quality start. I thought the wheels were coming off early but kudos to him. His stuff still isn't all the way there yet, but I'll take it.

Same. I thought he was toast early on...and not the good kind. Like, toast that you find in a toaster that's been sitting in a dumpster for a week and a half. But he pulled himself together. Honestly, I was surprised Buck didn't do the "leave him in too long" thing again, given that he only threw 85 pitches.

85 pitches through six full innings. How many O's starters have managed that so far?

We will need Gausman ASAP. I have very little confidence in both Gonzo and Norris pitching well enough for us to compete.

The fact the Os accomplished what they did the past two years and this rotation being better than those two I don't understand why you think that.

Some of you act like Gausman wouldn't have bad games and automatically becomes a ACE type pitcher.

I know ERA isnt everything but he posted a 3.25 in 12 and a 3.78 last year. If he finishes the season inbetween those two numbers, That's pretty damn good for a #4 in the AL east.

I would think if he continues to pitch about like last night he'll get another 28-32 starts.

Again, for a realistic metric for pitcher replacement take the reactionary messageboard estimate and multiply by at least three or four.

We have guys who can be better than Gonzo, though. In this division, the team needs to make quick adjustments. One or two games throughout the course of the entire season could easily be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. Doesn't matter if we had worse come through Baltimore. That was in the past when we had losing teams.

If Gonzalez has another couple bad starts, that means we're directly losing ground to competitors in the AL East. We can't afford to be patient. Gonzalez is not much better than league average, anyway. Trying someone like Gausman or Britton would be a move with much more potential reward compared to the risk or replacing our #4 starter who has middling stuff.

Agitating for a "quick adjustment" just reveals a lack of patience for performance to zero in on talent.

Maybe we can pick up freefalling Cliff Lee, Stephen Strasburg, and Jared Weaver, all sporting 6+ ERAs. They'll be cheap if their teams are looking to stay in contention with quick adjustments.

Archived