vs. TIGERS, 4/06

OFFNY

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1-5 would be a pretty big hole to try and dig out of, guys. I think we only had a couple 5 game win streaks last year. This team doesn't put together winning streaks with the streaky hitters/pitchers we have.

I think anyone who isn't worried at this point is seriously kidding themselves. With most teams, I'd buy "it's early". With this team? Not so much.

I've already had that same thought re: early deficit versus recent capability of winning streaks. Starting on the wrong foot can have far-reaching consequences, indeed, and can't be overlooked, but I'm hoping they can shake this out. I'd be pleased (in the context of currently being 1-4) if they could come out of New York 4-5.

1-5 would be a pretty big hole to try and dig out of, guys. I think we only had a couple 5 game win streaks last year. This team doesn't put together winning streaks with the streaky hitters/pitchers we have.

I think anyone who isn't worried at this point is seriously kidding themselves. With most teams, I'd buy "it's early". With this team? Not so much.

Don't need to win 5 in a row to go on an 8-2 run.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Interesting.  He was throwing 97 when I saw him pitch against the Phillies in Clearwater.  
    • I'm not sure about that, the OPS split is like 26 points. I wouldn't call Suarez a hard thrower, either, his fastball averages 94 mph and it hasn't ticked up in the pen.
    • The Mariners face the Yankees next.  Rodriguez can heat up then.  
    • Yes, but he also said he hoped Hays would be ready after the off day.  So it’s unclear if Hays still isn’t ready, or if it’s just a matchup thing.  Last year Miller fared much better vs. RHB than LHB, this year, he actually has mild reverse splits so far.  
    • Yeah, but, they can't stay cold forever can they?
    • Seeing @SteveA's post about the Twins' ongoing ineptitude against the Yankees got me thinking about the other AL Central teams, who it seems come up small every time they play the MFYs (save for the Tigers in the playoffs). In short: this is the rare case where perception matches reality. Since 2001 (i.e., this century), AL Central teams are 272-492 (.356) against the Yankees in the regular season, "led" by the White Sox at 60-87 (.408)—the only team to crack .400. At the other end, the Twins are 46-106 (.303)—the worst winning percentage in MLB this century by one team against an opponent in its league—and the Royals aren't much better (46-105, .305—the second-worst winning percentage). Minnesota has won the season series against the Yankees only twice this century (2001 and 2023); the Royals are even worse, having won the season series in 2014 and lost 18 of the other 21 (the teams split in 2005, 2008, and 2011). In the playoffs, Tigers teams managed by Jim Leyland are a combined 10-3 against the Yankees and have won all three series they have played (2006 ALDS, 2011 ALDS, 2012 ALCS). All other Central teams are a combined 9-25 and have lost nine of 10 series, with the lone series win coming from Cleveland in the 2007 ALDS (home of the infamous Joba bug game). Minnesota accounts for six of those series losses, with a 2-16 record (the Twins won one game each in the 2003 and 2004 Division Series). With the Yankees hosting the White Sox this weekend, we'll get a near-immediate glimpse of whether current trends will continue...
  • Popular Contributors