Nationals fans angry about Orioles

blid

I have tickets to six games at OPACY and five at Nats Park each year. The experiences are very different. As a generalization, Orioles fans are more blue collar, more passionate about their team, more knowledgeable and more focused on the game they are watching. Nats Stadium is nice but has the feel of a shopping mall with a baseball field plopped in the middle. The PA announcer has this phony overenthusiasm you often see at NBA arenas, and there are a lot of little contrivances and distractions. I'm not saying it's unenjoyable, it's just a lot less focused on the game at hand and there's less genuine passion among their fan base, probably because almost all the people in attendance grew up with some other team.

That said, the Nats aren't going anywhere.

I have never seen you do the wave at any game we have attended together.

You should never do the wave when the other team is batting, or when your team is batting, or any other time. Don't do the wave, not only because you might knock over my eight-dollar beer but also because you'll block my view during play, and it's idiotic. Recently, fans on Twitter were rightfully upset about the Nats crowd doing the wave, and posts were sent with the hashtag #STILLLEARNING. Other Twitterers were bragging about the wave circling the stadium "10 times." Be part of the solution.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've come to that conclusion. Do you wear your Orioles hat?

Of the five Nats games for which I have tickets, two are usually for the games where the Orioles visit DC. I proudly wear my O's gear to those games, and I'm far from the only one. O's fans represent extremely well at those games.

At the three other Nats games I attend, I usually wear a cap of some kind, but not necessarily an O's cap. I don't own a Nats cap, though if I got one at a giveaway game, I'd probably wear it. Theoretically, I root for them in the NL, though my level of interest isn't very high.

Of the five Nats games for which I have tickets, two are usually for the games where the Orioles visit DC. I proudly wear my O's gear to those games, and I'm far from the only one. O's fans represent extremely well at those games.

At the three other Nats games I attend, I usually wear a cap of some kind, but not necessarily an O's cap. I don't own a Nats cap, though if I got one at a giveaway game, I'd probably wear it. Theoretically, I root for them in the NL, though my level of interest isn't very high.

You, like me, enjoy baseball. I drove the whole way from Sarasota to Orlando to see the Nats play when our game was rained out. They played the Braves. Who I then rooted for.

I dislike the wave. I'm there to watch baseball. If other fans enjoy it, I won't hold it against them. But not during an important moment of the game, please.

I know it is very difficult to get to OPACY from where you are. It takes a while from here too. We are both great fans and make the effort.

The billboard in in Maryland. Where the Orioles play. NBD.

And, they do own the broadcast rights to both franchises. So it must make sense to promote them. After all, it is a profit making business. Supported by appropriate advertising.

I know it is very difficult to get to OPACY from where you are. It takes a while from here too. We are both great fans and make the effort.

I really try hard to arrange my Oriole tickets so that they fall on Saturdays and Sundays. Even though OPACY is only about 40 miles from my office, it often takes two hours or more to make that drive on a weekday, including at least an hour without ever getting outside the DC city limits. It not only takes a long time, it's extremely tense and aggravating. The weekend trip isn't bad at all.

I really try hard to arrange my Oriole tickets so that they fall on Saturdays and Sundays. Even though OPACY is only about 40 miles from my office, it often takes two hours or more to make that drive on a weekday, including at least an hour without ever getting outside the DC city limits. It not only takes a long time, it's extremely tense and aggravating. The weekend trip isn't bad at all.

Don't you hate it when you make that trip and the team plays poorly? Aggravating.

To be fair, O's fans do the wave at dumb times too. On Saturday night in the late innings of a close game there was a wave that lasted a good 10 minutes.

I have no problem with fans doing the wave in the early innings, especially during day games. I don't participate but it doesn't offend my sensibilities like an 8th inning close game wave does.

Also, to Frobby's point, the affected enthusiasm of the Nats PA guy is ridiculous. I feared the Orioles would get a clown like that when their job opened up a couple years ago, thankfully they did not. DANNNNNYYYYYY ESSSSSSPINNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSAAAAAAA!!!!

The Nats do make an effort to keep fans from blocking other fans view, they station ushers at the aisle and don't allow fans to enter sections in the middle of an at-bat.

Hi! Don't see you post much. Please take a look at the TOS here. Actual sentences are a preferred posting style. You may be correct in your sentiment. I don't bring that team up in OT. Me? I think it is ok to have a cool billboard so D.C. Orioles fans get to see it.

Right. But it enables terrible posting that make terrible Oriole fans look terrible.

Thus, cancer topic that is neither educational, humorous, or enlightening about baseball or about the hometown team but only about the stupidity of fans everywhere and their amazing ability to hold pathetic grudges over which team they follow for entertainment.

Obvious bait attempt by radio host successful.

Right. But it enables terrible posting that make terrible Oriole fans look terrible.

Thus, cancer topic that is neither educational, humorous, or enlightening about baseball or about the hometown team but only about the stupidity of fans everywhere and their amazing ability to hold pathetic grudges over which team they follow for entertainment.

Obvious bait attempt by radio host successful.

Speak for yourself. While I agree that the "controversy" is not existent. I think there have been some thoughtful and insightful posts in this thread.

Also, to Frobby's point, the affected enthusiasm of the Nats PA guy is ridiculous. I feared the Orioles would get a clown like that when their job opened up a couple years ago, thankfully they did not. DANNNNNYYYYYY ESSSSSSPINNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSAAAAAAA!!!!

It would be funny to find a tape from last year of the Nats PA guy announcing Steve Lombardozzi and then contrasting it with the Orioles' PA guy. Last year, you would have thought Lombardozzi coming to the plate was the equivalent of the Second Coming of Jesus. You see the same phony thing at all sports events played at the Verizon Center, whether it's the Wizards, Caps, or Georgetown. Frankly, to me its sends the message, "there is no real excitement or enthusiasm here, so we'll fake it for you!" Thankfully the Orioles have stayed away from that.

Archived