Nationals fans angry about Orioles

blid

It's true, Baltimore fans have much more vitriol towards DC sports teams than vice versa. I just don't think DC really cares all that much about the Nats, however, so the billboard is really a non-issue. There are almost as many O's fans in DC as Nats fans. It would be a bigger issue in Baltimore than DC. I say this as someone who lives a mile away from Nats stadium.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the radio jockey.....

Baltimore Orioles fans pissed that Peter Angelos was stupid enough to give away 1/2 the Orioles market to another team.

That's nice. Keep a market much larger than yours with a proud history of baseball (see the Colts/Ravens saga) from getting a team. Classy.

From a sports perspective I think the hate towards DC from B'More has to do with when Tags told them to build a museum to remember the Colts. He was buddies with Cooke, a G'Town grad and gave Jacksonville the expansion team instead. So most viewed it as DC blocking footballs return to town.

Stupid, especially considering a lot of DC folks are transplants in the first place. This line of thinking that once you cross an imaginary line somewhere on a map means your allegiance must change is so out of touch, I wonder if this guy is 15 years old. Grow up Chad. Cities don't like each other's sports teams. Deal with it. Opposing teams fans live in your city. Deal with it. Do you expect the company that owns the billboard to turn down business? Dumb. I am guessing he feels that Maryland should be DC fans too? Should I get upset if the Nats put up a sign on 95 south of columbia? This guy has a lot to learn about sports fans

That's nice. Keep a market much larger than yours with a proud history of baseball (see the Colts/Ravens saga) from getting a team. Classy.

The Orioles were the Regional team. He could have told you to build a museum to the Senators. He could have played four games over the Fourth of July in D.C. Instead. He sold the rights. It's not D.C. or the people of D.C. that Baltimore fans dislike. It's the teams. And of course, the Chads.

Washington DC does a lot more damager to the people of this country than BAL does. Back in the day the Senators were a joke. If people in the DC area grew up rooting for the Birds, then why expect them to shift allegiance, just because the Expos moved south.

Sports talk radio has to fill all those hours somehow. Why not drum up this controversy? Nobody in DC actually cares about this, nor would anybody in Baltimore care if the Nats chose to put up a billboard on 295 right next to the BWI exit (the approximate equidistant point from Camden Yards as this billboard is to Nationals Park). If it was on Capitol Street right outside of the park people would care, but it is a major highway connecting the two cities.

There's a lot to hate about D.C.: politicians.

And Redskin fans. They are the dumbest fans in sports. When I used to work in DC everyday I couldn't wait until I got into Baltiimore sports talk area. And I'm a VA native. The Wizards suck. The Bullets were cool. The Caps are overrated. I didn't mind the Nationals up until the time when they started winning and thinking that playing in the NL east is anyway similar to the AL east. 5 reasons to laugh at Washington based teams:

1. RG III aka Josh Freeman

2. 2nd worst team in NFL and no 1st rd pick

3. The Nats play in SE DC

4. Landover Mall by the stadium

5. Harper is a *****.

Sounds spot on. People that hate DC teams are either old or just silly.

Just makes the City of Baltimore look bad IMO. People in DC don't hate on Baltimore like people in Baltimore hate on DC. That is the truth.

Teams I hate in order:

1. New England Patriots ( I think if they were playing a team coached by Satan himself, I would pull for them if they were playing the Patriots)

2. Yankees

3. Braves (damn chant)

4. Raiders (I am a Broncos fan)

5. Lakers

6. Heat

No teams in DC.

For some reason I've met quite a few people from DC who seem absurdly convinced that there is a lot of hate coming their way from Baltimore or Virginia or wherever. They never seem to be able to recall specific instances of it or even explain it as anything more than "It's just something I've noticed". And the idea that people around the DMV just don't care about them one way or another is too offensive or ridiculous to even entertain.

I grew up in the DC area rooting for Cal/Brady/Hoiles and so forth. Baseball in Washington was just old stories my uncle had about the terrible teams that were there.

I tried liking the Nationals as a second team, but three things have stopped me.

1. The whole Nationals experience is very gentrified like everything in DC. Going to a Nats game is like a stroll around Old Town Alexandria or something. The Orioles experience is more fun and blue collar.

2. The Orioles have more likable players. On the Nationals, Gio is maybe the only one with a pleasant, outgoing personality. Werth wants to eat peoples faces, Strasburg has no personality, and Harper just looks unlikable. On the Orioles, you have mix of entertaining players like Adam Jones and Tommy Hunter, resurrected from the scrap heap, great full to be here players (Davis, Miguel), and home grown players like Machado, Weiters and Markakis.

3. For a team that has ZERO history, Nats fans like to turn their nose up to the Orioles like a Natty Boh in Georgetown. The Orioles have 3 World Championships, and many other titles. The Nats are a left over team Canada did not want. You have had to make up traditions like the dumb Presidents race, and the singing "take me" during the 7th inning stretch. Never mind the silly looking Screech Eagle mascot thing. Our bird is cuter, and has been to more World Series.

I have seriously never heard a Nats fan say one good thing about the Orioles which makes no sense. Both teams are local, and the only way we would get in each others way is if both reached the World Series. Why not enjoy having two good teams in driving distance.

4. (honorable mention). Nat's Park is pretty forgettable. Especially everything outside of it.

Archived