Nationals fans angry about Orioles

blid

That's nice. Keep a market much larger than yours with a proud history of baseball (see the Colts/Ravens saga) from getting a team. Classy.

I honestly don't understand why you post on this board. In all honesty are you an O's fan or a Nationals?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like you are the authority on Baltimoreans, being that you live in DC.

It's true, Baltimore fans have much more vitriol towards DC sports teams than vice versa. I just don't think DC really cares all that much about the Nats, however, so the billboard is really a non-issue. There are almost as many O's fans in DC as Nats fans. It would be a bigger issue in Baltimore than DC. I say this as someone who lives a mile away from Nats stadium.

And Redskin fans. They are the dumbest fans in sports. When I used to work in DC everyday I couldn't wait until I got into Baltiimore sports talk area. And I'm a VA native. The Wizards suck. The Bullets were cool. The Caps are overrated. I didn't mind the Nationals up until the time when they started winning and thinking that playing in the NL east is anyway similar to the AL east. 5 reasons to laugh at Washington based teams:

1. RG III aka Josh Freeman

2. 2nd worst team in NFL and no 1st rd pick

3. The Nats play in SE DC

4. Landover Mall by the stadium

5. Harper is a *****.

This is one of the saltiest posts I've ever read on this site. Might want to develop a thicker skin. Every team has bad fans. You're taking it to heart a bit too much.

For some reason I've met quite a few people from DC who seem absurdly convinced that there is a lot of hate coming their way from Baltimore or Virginia or wherever. They never seem to be able to recall specific instances of it or even explain it as anything more than "It's just something I've noticed". And the idea that people around the DMV just don't care about them one way or another is too offensive or ridiculous to even entertain.
+1 and the Deadskins.

I love that these posts were consecutive. It's just something I've noticed.

Neither you nor anyone can provide one single piece of evidence or fact to support this baseless assertion. You've made a generalization, basen on your own feelings, which is 'silly' and immature.

Also, your insults of 'people that hate DC teams' contradict your claim that 'people in DC don't hate on Baltimore like people in Baltimore hate on DC.'

As for making the city of Baltimore look bad, what are you talking about? Your perception of Baltimoreans hating Washingtonians or the Orioles advertising in/near the District?

Sounds spot on. People that hate DC teams are either old or just silly.

Just makes the City of Baltimore look bad IMO. People in DC don't hate on Baltimore like people in Baltimore hate on DC. That is the truth.

Teams I hate in order:

1. New England Patriots ( I think if they were playing a team coached by Satan himself, I would pull for them if they were playing the Patriots)

2. Yankees

3. Braves (damn chant)

4. Raiders (I am a Broncos fan)

5. Lakers

6. Heat

No teams in DC.

Learn you history, son. Being that the Orioles did not block Washington from acquiring a baseball franchise, you sarcastic 'classy' slam is meritless. Meanwhile, DC franchises blocked franchises in Baltimore on at least three occasions. As for the comment about market size, how in the hell does that have anything to do with anything?

That's nice. Keep a market much larger than yours with a proud history of baseball (see the Colts/Ravens saga) from getting a team. Classy.

Learn you history, son. Being that the Orioles did not block Washington from acquiring a baseball franchise, you sarcastic 'classy' slam is meritless. Meanwhile, DC franchises blocked franchises in Baltimore on at least three occasions. As for the comment about market size, how in the hell does that have anything to do with anything?

WHA??? Are you completely daft? PA put every lawyerly resource he had against it. (And got us a SWEET deal for his efforts.)

I grew up in the DC area rooting for Cal/Brady/Hoiles and so forth. Baseball in Washington was just old stories my uncle had about the terrible teams that were there.

I tried liking the Nationals as a second team, but three things have stopped me.

Yes, the 1990s Orioles. But what if you grew up watching the Orioles from 2001-2011. What stories would you be telling? So think about that when you hear your Uncle's stories. Senators were a really good team in the era of the Babe Ruth and rise of the Yankees. Winning AL Pennants in 1924, 1925 and 1933 and winning one world series in 1924. Then lost the 1925 world series to the Pirates in 7. So it's all perspective.

1. The whole Nationals experience is very gentrified like everything in DC. Going to a Nats game is like a stroll around Old Town Alexandria or something. The Orioles experience is more fun and blue collar.

Different cities. DC is a white collar city. It's full of lobbyist, lawyers, congress, and Federal workers. So that's the crowd you are gonna get. Can't really change that.

2. The Orioles have more likable players. On the Nationals, Gio is maybe the only one with a pleasant, outgoing personality. Werth wants to eat peoples faces, Strasburg has no personality, and Harper just looks unlikable. On the Orioles, you have mix of entertaining players like Adam Jones and Tommy Hunter, resurrected from the scrap heap, great full to be here players (Davis, Miguel), and home grown players like Machado, Weiters and Markakis.

In your opinion. I am sure Nat fans feel the same way you do about their players and think the O's players are unlikable. It happens.

3. For a team that has ZERO history, Nats fans like to turn their nose up to the Orioles like a Natty Boh in Georgetown. The Orioles have 3 World Championships, and many other titles. The Nats are a left over team Canada did not want. You have had to make up traditions like the dumb Presidents race, and the singing "take me" during the 7th inning stretch. Never mind the silly looking Screech Eagle mascot thing. Our bird is cuter, and has been to more World Series.

Nats have a long history but it's forgotten. Nobody remembers or even understands the Senators were actually known officially as the Nationals (and Senators were a moniker) and it wasn't until 1956 when the name changed from Nats to Senators for the 1957 season. While that team became the Twins, it had a rich history that can't be ignored per se. The 1924 World Series was won at Griffith Park where Howard University Hospital sits now. But that's by gone history.

The Expos down fall was a product of Claude Brochu, Jeff Loria, the Canadian Government and Quebec Government. Brochu wanted a new stadium and tried to make the team profitable to get some help in building Labatt Park. Quebec and Canada said no because they sunk over $1 billion (in Canadian) in Olympic Stadium. Loria bought the team and tried to get a new stadium again the Governments balked at the idea because well... Olympic Stadium was a money pit (won't be paid off until 2026, think about that, 50 years). Then Loria screwed the pooch by not reaching agreements over English broadcasting of Expos games for 2000 season. Their attendance went down the drain (actually in line with the Rays, go figure). Then MLB screwed the Expos in 2003. The team was given a hard payroll limit. Expos were in the hunt WC spot on August 28th and come September call ups the Expos weren't allowed to call up anybody because Selig and the Owners said no to $50,000 cost. Expos fell apart in September. I am not saying Expos would have made the Wild Card but Jeff Loria's new team the Marlins wouldn't have "walked" into the WC spot and then won the World Series. It would have looked really bad if MLB moved them after winning a World Series. So yeah.. not the fault of the fans. They got screwed or the team itself..

I have seriously never heard a Nats fan say one good thing about the Orioles which makes no sense. Both teams are local, and the only way we would get in each others way is if both reached the World Series. Why not enjoy having two good teams in driving distance.

Why should they? They are literally just cross town rivals. Do you think Met fans say nice things about the Yankees? Or Dodger fans say nice things about the Angels?

Actually both teams get into each others way every year. When they do inter-league play. Those 4 games do matter. It will be a bigger deal with MLB decides to finally move to Buck's idea..

Something I fully support.

4. (honorable mention). Nat's Park is pretty forgettable. Especially everything outside of it.

Well Nat's Park was phase 1 of rebuilding Waterfront and Buzzard Point area. DC United stadium needs to be approved still, Water Street project has just began construction. Buzzard Point power plant is now shut down so that land can be used for new construction area as well.

I will always be a O's fan, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't go to a Nat's game. The reason I have not is because I know that traffic and parking in that area is a bear, but if I can figure that problem out I'd love to go. My only negative thoughts toward DC teams is that when the Colts left town I could never bring myself to support the Redskins because of the old rivalry that seemed to exist before the Colts left. Radio, news personalities and especially politicians, seem to like to drum up hatred. Turn one group against another. It's very common these days.

I get what your doing Playbaltimore! Quit acting like a little kid!

Football and Baseball are clearly different games with football having the cap and sharing TV revenues equally. Baseball has no cap and their tv markets are segregated. Thus the Yankees/Red Sox huge and extremely unfair advantage. The Orioles were once a large market team and basically were forced to allow the Expos to move within so many miles of Baltimore. It will be because of this that the Orioles will start losing their star players like Wieters & Davis as their salary demands peak. Its because of this that they annually shop in the bargain bin (yes Jiminez & Cruz) rather than competing for the top players like they could back in the 90s. As I remember the distance was inside the MLB by laws ...although a search for it was inconclusive.

Lastly since your brought it up .... "Keep a market much larger than yours with a proud history of baseball" ....HMMM my market ??? HMMM Are you a National fans just here pitching your .com business?

DC has a proud history of baseball ....LMAO DC really wont support the National long term ...Wait and see!

I get what your doing Playbaltimore! Quit acting like a little kid!

Football and Baseball are clearly different games with football having the cap and sharing TV revenues equally. Baseball has no cap and their tv markets are segregated. Thus the Yankees/Red Sox huge and extremely unfair advantage. The Orioles were once a large market team and basically were forced to allow the Expos to move within so many miles of Baltimore. It will be because of this that the Orioles will start losing their star players like Wieters & Davis as their salary demands peak. Its because of this that they annually shop in the bargain bin (yes Jiminez & Cruz) rather than competing for the top players like they could back in the 90s. As I remember the distance was inside the MLB by laws ...although a search for it was inconclusive.

Lastly since your brought it up .... "Keep a market much larger than yours with a proud history of baseball" ....HMMM my market ??? HMMM Are you a National fans just here pitching your .com business?

DC has a proud history of baseball ....LMAO DC really wont support the National long term ...Wait and see!

Do I need to remind you of all the money from MASN the Orioles are pouring in? Funny none of that was spent until this year....

Yes, poor Angelos....

The reason the a Orioles haven't spent money is because of Angelos, not the DC ball club.

You are delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHA??? Are you completely daft? PA put every lawyerly resource he had against it. (And got us a SWEET deal for his efforts.)

Truth. The Orioles had a clear contractual right to block another AL team from moving to DC, but no right to block an NL team. He concocted a dubious legal theory about having some permanent right to the TV market the O's had occupied after the Senstors moved, and threatened to sue. He probably would have lost, but MLB is risk averse so they settled the matter by giving him the MASN deal. People who say that Angelos sold the "rights" don't understand that his legal position was probably a loser.

Do I need to remind you of all the money from MASN the Orioles are pouring in? Funny none of that was spent until this year....

Yes, poor Angelos....

The reason the a Orioles haven't spent money is because of Angelos, not the DC ball club.

You are delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not an Angelos fan .... I have blasted him long before you were a member here. Allowing the Expos to move within the Orioles market is among the worst things he's done as owner of the Orioles. I still think he's the worst owner in baseball ...but perhaps he's second to worst now. Without a cap and tv revenue sharing this will always be the case. I agree with Scott about the part that Angelos made a good deal on the matter that will hurt the Nationals indefinately. The benefit to him was more money in his families pocket when he dies. I think he couldve blocked the move in court for a long period of time.

MASN was launched on a full schedule in 2006 ...The same year the Nationals began play in DC. But you knew that :rolleyes:

Truth. The Orioles had a clear contractual right to block another AL team from moving to DC, but no right to block an NL team. He concocted a dubious legal theory about having some permanent right to the TV market the O's had occupied after the Senstors moved, and threatened to sue. He probably would have lost, but MLB is risk averse so they settled the matter by giving him the MASN deal. People who say that Angelos sold the "rights" don't understand that his legal position was probably a loser.

Perhaps you know more on this than I do .... But

1) Angelos is a lawyer = Next to no legal fees

2) MLB (not some individual owner ) Owned the Expos

3) In addition Angelos couldve made it so painful that MLB couldve looked elsewhere.

..... Dont look now but Montreal is trying to lure another team to their city.

Thank you. This is the first time I really understood that.

Archived