Face it Folks - The Detroit Tigers Are Simply a Much Superior Team to the Orioles

Old#5fan

That's exactly CA-ORIOLE'S point.

The "humiliation" of the Orioles by the Tigers occurred in the middle of May, and it was a grand total of 3 games ........ out of a 162-game schedule.

Since then, the Tigers have gone 39-41 over their next 80 games ....... which is a tad larger of a sample size than their 3-game "humiliation" of the Orioles on May 12th, 13th, and 14th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Also, since then, the Tigers have been "humiliated" on their home field twice, by both the Blue Jays and the Rays.

BLUE JAYS SWEEP TIGERS, IN DETROIT:

JUNE 3rd: O 5-3

JUNE 4th: O 8-2

JUNE 5th: O 7-3

RAYS TAKE 3 STRAIGHT TIGERS, IN DETROIT (The Tigers won the Opening game, 8-1.):

JULY 4th: O 6-3

JULY 5th: O 7-2

JULY 6th: O 7-3

So, your "evidence" of the Tigers being far superior to the Orioles is questionable, to say the least.

And your proclamation of the Tigers being much superior to the Orioles ...... of which you asserted on May 14th, 36 games into a 162-game season ....... may have been just a bit premature.

I am thinking that in mid May we were just getting Manny back, catcher hadn't been solidified yet with Wieters out and that's a big deal when you're talking about an offense heavy club like Detroit, and oh yeah the bit about how it's silly to use a season series as the measuring stick. Curiously enough when we beat the Indians in the 1996 ALDS, they had beat us in the regular season and had the better overall record. When we lost to them the following year in the ALCS, it was reversed. Honestly, any team's going to be tough in the playoffs. That's why these teams are there but there's no denying that since this post was made that the O'shave vastly been the better team. Detroit has problems and I would not be shocked if in a few years they're looking like the Phillies do now with a bunch of overpaid vets resting on their past laurels.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah? I posted this thread right after the Tigers humiliated our beloved O's on their home turf at OPACY no less, by completing a three game sweep. I stand by my take, and the only way I change my position will be for the O's to take them (Detroit) in a playoff series and I still just don't see that happening.

Don't take it personally. A lot of us have made prediction or declamatory threads that late looked questionable. I posted a rant about TJ McFarland after he gave up a game winning hit to a pitcher in Milwaukee that looked very foolish after he rattled off several scoreless outings in a row.

That's exactly CA-ORIOLE'S point.

The "humiliation" of the Orioles by the Tigers occurred in the middle of May, and it was a grand total of 3 games ........ out of a 162-game schedule.

Since then, the Tigers have gone 39-41 over their next 80 games ....... which is a tad larger of a sample size than their 3-game "humiliation" of the Orioles on May 12th, 13th, and 14th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Also, since then, the Tigers have been "humiliated" on their home field twice, by both the Blue Jays and the Rays.

BLUE JAYS SWEEP TIGERS, IN DETROIT:

JUNE 3rd: O 5-3

JUNE 4th: O 8-2

JUNE 5th: O 7-3

RAYS TAKE 3 STRAIGHT FROM THE TIGERS, IN DETROIT (The Tigers won the opening game, 8-1.):

JULY 4th: O 6-3

JULY 5th: O 7-2

JULY 6th: O 7-3

So, your "evidence" of the Tigers being far superior to the Orioles is questionable, to say the least.

And your proclamation of the Tigers being much superior to the Orioles ...... of which you asserted on May 14th, 36 games into a 162-game season ....... may have been just a bit premature.

Maybe, but the only way to know that for sure is to see how they fare if they face each other in the playoffs. That is where it matters and I think they have too much pitching and hitting compared to the Orioles. The Orioles have a better defense and bullpen but that isn't enough.

Maybe, but the only way to know that for sure is to see how they fare if they face each other in the playoffs. That is where it matters and I think they have too much pitching and hitting compared to the Orioles. The Orioles have a better defense and bullpen but that isn't enough.

You didn't start this thread with a bunch of disclaimers, but you sure have piled them on since the Tigers started sliding backwards in the standings. Last time I looked you made a definitive statement that the Tigers were clearly a MUCH superior team - now we're down to whichever team wins in the playoffs?

At this point, everything points to the O's being the superior team. Particularly since the Tigers may not even make the playoffs given how they've played over the past 80 or so games.

You didn't start this thread with a bunch of disclaimers, but you sure have piled them on since the Tigers started sliding backwards in the standings. Last time I looked you made a definitive statement that the Tigers were clearly a MUCH superior team - now we're down to whichever team wins in the playoffs?

At this point, everything points to the O's being the superior team. Particularly since the Tigers may not even make the playoffs given how they've played over the past 80 or so games.

I agree "at this point" the Orioles are playing better baseball than the Tigers, but there is still a lot of baseball remaining, and I just don't think that simply because the O's are playing well "at this point," that means they are a superior team to the Tigers. Man for man, their lineup is superior, as is their starting pitching. I do think the Orioles though are better recently than they (Orioles) were in May as they got Manny back and back then, Hunter was still the closer. They have also picked up Andrew Miller and the bullpen is better now than then. The Tigers have added David Price and they are more stacked now with starting pitching then back then.

I agree "at this point" the Orioles are playing better baseball than the Tigers, but there is still a lot of baseball remaining, and I just don't think that simply because the O's are playing well "at this point," that means they are a superior team to the Tigers. Man for man, their lineup is superior, as is their starting pitching. I do think the Orioles though are better recently than they (Orioles) were in May as they got Manny back and back then, Hunter was still the closer. They have also picked up Andrew Miller and the bullpen is better now than then. The Tigers have added David Price and they are more stacked now with starting pitching then back then.

Yes... and the Tigers... at the point you made your initial post were playing better baseball than the Orioles. Now it's the opposite. Point is... it's a long season. Do you think Blue Jays are a better team than Detroit? Because Detroit's record against them (1-5) is the same as ours is against Detroit... and we're obviously ahead of the Blue Jays in the standings.

Being better "man for man" doesn't mean being better as a team. IMHO, the O's are a better team, as evidenced by their superior record, run differential, ERA and defensive metrics more than 75% of the way through the season.

The Tigers aren't even the best team in their division "right now". At some point it should become clear that Detroit simply isn't as good a team as their collection of players might suggest.

Being better "man for man" doesn't mean being better as a team. IMHO, the O's are a better team, as evidenced by their superior record, run differential, ERA and defensive metrics more than 75% of the way through the season.

The Tigers aren't even the best team in their division "right now". At some point it should become clear that Detroit simply isn't as good a team as their collection of players might suggest.

"Should" become clear they aren't as good as their collection of talented players? Sorry, I for one don't in the least buy into that. They are IMHO much more likely to go on some major hot streak and or winning streak than do what you are espousing. I wouldn't be suprised at all if they reel off 8-10 wins in a row before the end of September.

"Should" become clear they aren't as good as their collection of talented players? Sorry, I for one don't in the least buy into that. They are IMHO much more likely to go on some major hot streak and or winning streak than do what you are espousing. I wouldn't be suprised at all if they reel off 8-10 wins in a row before the end of September.

The Yankees have been running All Star teams out there everyday for most of the last 13 or 14 years and have 1 championship to show for it. Having the best players don't necessarily mean you have the best team. Team chemistry is a real thing- just ask the Red Sox.

Yeah, that would be a monumental upset of historic proportions if the Orioles beat the Tigers in the playoffs ...... assuming that the Tigers make the playoffs in the first place.

I don't see how they will not make it. Just wait and see, I predict a major hot streak in September for Detroit and they are going to run away with their division.

I am fairly certain you are wrong.

I am hugely certain I am not. I also am willing to wager that in a playoff series Detroit will best the O's. I actually think though the O's would beat Oakland or the Angels or any AL West team in the playoffs.

• 1 month later...

Archived