Trade Targets....

EagleOriole

They have nearly identical career splits vs. LHB

Matusz (.628 career; .706 2014)

Saunders (.620; .693 2014)

MAtusz has experience coming out of the pen and has some potential future value, especially if he can regain his 2013 form. Not seeing any reason to make this swap.

Their careers have been entirely different, so I'm not sure those number mean anything. Matusz doesn't get anyone out now, not even lefties. Maybe Saunders can get lefties out if that's all he has to do.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their careers have been entirely different, so I'm not sure those number mean anything. Matusz doesn't get anyone out now, not even lefties. Maybe Saunders can get lefties out if that's all he has to do.

And his only professional relief appearance was in 2006 when he was in the minors.

I believe that Saunders would pitch better as a starter than Gonzalez. He would not be facing that overpowering Orioles lineup lead by lefty killer, Steve Pearce.

I believe that Saunders would pitch better as a starter than Gonzalez. He would not be facing that overpowering Orioles lineup lead by lefty killer, Steve Pearce.

Once Gausman returns for good and Norris is healthy, I don't expect to see Gonzo get too many more starts this season.

And I gave their numbers this year against lefties, which are nearly identical, so I'm not sure what you want (assuming you want to root this discussion in some amount of facts and not just a "grass is always greener" mentality). You would be asking Saunders to take on an entirely new role, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I gave their numbers this year against lefties, which are nearly identical, so I'm not sure what you want (assuming you want to root this discussion in some amount of facts and not just a "grass is always greener" mentality). You would be asking Saunders to take on an entirely new role, though.

Career numbers don't mean much when Matusz can't get anyone out right now. Yes, I'd be asking Saunders to do something different. I am suggesting that doing something different might be better than doing the same damn thing that isn't working. Is it guaranteed to succeed? Absolutely not. But, I think it's better than throwing Matusz out there every four days and watching him fail.

Career numbers don't mean much when Matusz can't get anyone out right now. Yes, I'd be asking Saunders to do something different. I am suggesting that doing something different might be better than doing the same damn thing that isn't working. Is it guaranteed to succeed? Absolutely not. But, I think it's better than throwing Matusz out there every four days and watching him fail.

You keep repeating about career numbers. Their 2014 numbers are nearly identical vs. lefties as well. Why are you ignoring this?

I would def be interested in Saunders. I thought we should have re-signed him last year.

His peripherals are terrible now. I get we are not in love with Matusz but I really do not see Saunders as much of an upgrade at this point in his career. He was running on fumes when we got him ....the tank appears empty to me.

His peripherals are terrible now. I get we are not in love with Matusz but I really do not see Saunders as much of an upgrade at this point in his career. He was running on fumes when we got him ....the tank appears empty to me.

Could be right. I think he is worth a flyer for insurance purposes.

Could be right. I think he is worth a flyer for insurance purposes.

I'd prefer taking a flyer Jerome Williams even though he is a RHP if we wanna add some potential SP depth with experience. His peripherals actually looked better than his numbers. I also thought maybe Donnie Joseph would have been worth a look but it appears the Marlins agreed with me which is not saying much lol

Far as a LHP I would trade for a quality one IMO rather than dumpster diving unless someone really intriguing gets DFA'd.

Yes but Saunders's numbers as a starter against lefties are hardly comparable against Matusz's numbers as a reliever against lefties.

Saunders is being forced to get guys out multiple times in one game. Seeing the same hitters multiple times in a game allows them to get your timing better and see your full repertoire. Why do you think pretty much every pitcher in baseballs numbers go up the second and third time through the order?

Matusz only has to get guys out one time through the lineup and he can't even do that well.

I'd take Saunders over Matusz as our lefty reliever/loogy right now in a heartbeat.

I think Saunders could thrive in a shortened role where he could be not only marched up properly, but throw his entire arsenal at a team in one inning. Plus worst case scenario you could pitch him as a long man or an innings eater should you need him.

IMHO, dan should be on the phone right now trying to bring him back. Or at the very least trying to replace Ramirez with him. The only real question for me is if Saunders would be willing to give up his job as a starter to pitch on a contending team.

If he would be, sign him immediately. If I remember correctly, doesn't he have a pretty low walk rate too? That would be very useful out of the pen.

Archived