Trade Targets....

EagleOriole

Trade thought:

Reimold to Arizona for Lefty reliever Joe Thatcher

Reimold has 500K left on his salary and in under team control through 2015.

Thatcher (32) has 1.185M left on his salary and is a free agent at the end for year.

The D'back are playing several outfielders that are not performing well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thatcjo01.shtml

If your Arizona why are you giving up anything for Reimold? The idea that a team would trade anything of any value for him is laughable unless the GM on the other end of DD phone is an utter moron. I get Thatcher is not a guy who holds great value but you can do better than Nolan who cant stay healthy.

I don't hate the idea of getting Thatcher but Reimold is not going to get that done.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your Arizona why are you giving up anything for Reimold? The idea that a team would trade anything of any value for him is laughable unless the GM on the other end of DD phone is an utter moron. I get Thatcher is not a guy who holds great value but you can do better than Nolan who cant stay healthy.

I don't hate the idea of getting Thatcher but Reimold is not going to get that done.

Couple reasons you might.

1- 600K salary relief

2- You like Reimold and you think another team would claim him first. (Red Sox)

Trade thought:

Reimold to Arizona for Lefty reliever Joe Thatcher

Reimold has 500K left on his salary and in under team control through 2015.

Thatcher (32) has 1.185M left on his salary and is a free agent at the end of the year.

The D'backs are playing several outfielders that are not performing well.

http://diamondbacks.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=491159#gameType='R'?ionType=career&statType=2&season=2014&level='ALL'

Click ALL to see his stats.

I'm all for it.

Here is the way this might work.

Tampa has the worst record in the AL. So the O's call the 28 other teams and say that he thinks the Rays will claim Reimold. After all, the O's almost traded Reimold to Tampa for Barrett a few years ago. Reimold is their kind of player. Cheap with power.

So if any of the other teams have any interest in getting him they would have trade for him rather then claiming him. Many teams will pass but if just one or two bite DD will be able to work a trade.

Thatcher is a 32 year old pitcher that is a free agent in 3 months and the D'backs are out of it. This value combined with his over 1M salary may make him available.

So DD adds a minor leaguer.

Here is the way this might work.

Tampa has the worst record in the AL. So the O's call the 28 other teams and say that he thinks the Rays will claim Reimold. After all, the O's almost traded Reimold to Tampa for Barrett a few years ago. Reimold is their kind of player. Cheap with power.

So if any of the other teams have any interest in getting him they would have trade for him rather then claiming him. Many teams will pass but if just one or two bite DD will be able to work a trade.

Thatcher is a 32 year old pitcher that is a free agent in 3 months and the D'backs are out of it. This value combined with his over 1M salary may make him available.

All that works if Arizona can't get a better player with a better track record for Thatcher. I think he could well be available but I also think there are a number of teams that would have interest in a guy like Thatcher who comes with no long term commitment. Nobody is giving up anything very valuable for him but it is not a stretch if your Arizona to believe that you can do better than a guy who has basically been on the DL for the better part of a season and a half. That's my thinking at least. I guess its always possible just think its unlikely that anyone is going to value him (Reimold) very much.

So DD adds a minor leaguer.

Now that I could see working. Reimold would essentially be a flyer and even out the salary some. I would not be shocked though if Arizona would just prefer a minor leaguer without Reimold ....thus saving themselves more salary.

It is going to be near impossible to get an upgrade at 2nd base. Maybe the Twins make Suzuki available at catcher. Could try to get a corner outfield bat to play along with Pearce.

Suzuki and Jon Jay or Seth Smith would go a long way towards fixing what ails this lineup IMO....

Suzuki and Jon Jay or Seth Smith would go a long way towards fixing what ails this lineup IMO....

Prado does make some sense as well. I just wonder what the DBacks would want for him? He could play 3rd the next two years. He has a good glove and can play anywhere and doesn't K a lot. Would be a nice number two hitter. Smith would help but I also don't think he is as good as he has looked this year. Jay makes sense because STL is loaded with OF's in their system. Once again what would they want?

On a side note I wonder what trade value Miguel Gonzalez has?

@jonmorosi: Jose Quintana could become Doug Fister circa 2011: Very little trade hype, then he gets traded and helps a team win its division.

If the Sox would in fact listen to offers on he would be my #1 pitching target.

@jonmorosi: Jose Quintana could become Doug Fister circa 2011: Very little trade hype, then he gets traded and helps a team win its division.

If the Sox would in fact listen to offers on he would be my #1 pitching target.

Not sure how we would have the pieces to get him without giving up one of Bundy, KG or Harvey. They are in no way pressed to move him and if someone wants him its gonna cost them a pretty good haul.

Not sure how we would have the pieces to get him without giving up one of Bundy, KG or Harvey. They are in no way pressed to move him and if someone wants him its gonna cost them a pretty good haul.

Maybe we could send them a package deal for beckham and Quintana.

We have needs for both. I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny thoug and I don't we are going to be willing to give up enough to get that trade done.

Archived