(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

Yea this was a very good analysis IMO and further evidence to support the notion that we are likely to see a much better second half from Manny. That bodes well for us

Even the eye test signified this. He's put together some good at bats, and he's driven some to that RC gap that were tracked well.

What a perfect scenario. We were worried that the O's would suffer without Manny and that his mini hot streak would dissipate during the suspension.

He has a different look since he came back from the suspension. Kind of like, no more Mr. nice guy, I'm gonna show you what I can really do.

If you look closely you can see the boot mark from AJ. I'm guessing that helped some. Hard to exaggerate how much a half similar to last year's first half would mean to this team.

Manny's 2014 numbers now look a lot like 2012-13:

2012: .262/.294/.445

2013: .283/.314/.432

2014: .269/.315/.423

Manny's also at 1.7 rWAR, 1.6 fWAR after 58 games played. Not at last year's level, but not too shabby.

I think his offensive numbers will continue to go up from here.

Just out of curiosity, what is Manny's ceiling as an offensive player?

Is he in the Adam Jones mold of someone who has good power but will OPS around . 825 every year (not a bad thing)? Or more in the Troy Tulowitzki mold where he can top out around .900 every year?

Would a slash line of 300/380/550 be attainable for him as he approaches his mid twenties?

It's going to be harder for Manny to reach his ceiling because his potential as a hitter and fielder are just extraordinary. Hopefully he's able to put on a little muscle without losing mobility, which would seem very possible given his age.

His ceiling is so high that it's not realistic he reaches it. If he does?

-Prime year(s) averaging about .330-.350 average, 30-35 homers, 60 doubles as a hitter.

-Prime years(s) of the greatest defense anyone has ever played at third base. It's hard for me to how good he'd compare to other great shortstops, but I'd imagine — if he played the position to his potential — he'd be simply tremendous.

-First-ballot Hall of Famer.

I think this is an interesting question, because there is absolutely no way to know the answer for a 22-year old who is probably not quite done growing.

He keeps hanging out with his "boy" ARod and his ceiling could be Barry Bonds!

In seriousness, I think a realistic ceiling that we would all be pleased with would be Evan Longoria (270/350/500). OBP is probably a bit too high for Machado, so Jones range may actually be about right. I think he has a similar swing to Longoria, too:

In fact as a third baseman, right now, he really may not be that far off from playing better than anyone ever has played the position.

I honestly have never seen anyone play third better than he did last year ? removing my homer glasses. I don't know how much better he can get than that. A season with less than 5 errors while saving even more runs?

In fact as a third baseman, right now, he really may not be that far off from playing better than anyone ever has played the position.

I honestly have never seen anyone play third better than he did last year ? removing my homer glasses. I don't know how much better he can get than that. A season with less than 5 errors while saving even more runs?

People are just not seeing this. He is absolutely fantastic there. Never, ever, try to move him.