Machado begins 5-game suspension tonight.

schittenden

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those of you arguing that the suspension is justified are completely clueless. Would you rather get hit with a windmilling bat that took 5-10 seconds to get to you or a 93mph fastball that was aimed at your reconstructed knee? Throw aside the pc bs and think about it. Anyone that has actually played the game and understands what is going on knows the answer to that. Those that have never played the game, really don't know what they are talking about. I'm completely convinced if Manny played for the Yanks or Redsox, he would have missed between 2 games and none.

I played the game in high school and Junior College hardly makes me an expert but baseball is baseball and some rules are the same. Guys get thrown at, they charge the mound, every one throws air punches, once a while a guy gets clocked. You don't throw the bat period the end. You don't have to like the rule, understand it or agree with it but it just the way it is. Its bad enough guys get thrown at, no need to encourage bat throwing, this is not the NHL.

The fact you don't get this but then wanna lecture about playing the game blah blah blah makes me wonder just who the hell was coaching you if you actually played the game.

I love the O's but not their fans. Wow. You guys are a small sample size and I would love to think not all of the O's fans like to attack their own players.

So basically you think we should just ignore it when one of our players acts inappropriately and cheer them on? Manny screwed the pooch on this one and pretending like he did not does him and the fans a disservice. That does not mean we don't still love the kid, I am pretty sure the vast majority including myself have nothing but high hopes for him as a player and person.

Those of you arguing that the suspension is justified are completely clueless. Would you rather get hit with a windmilling bat that took 5-10 seconds to get to you or a 93mph fastball that was aimed at your reconstructed knee? Throw aside the pc bs and think about it. Anyone that has actually played the game and understands what is going on knows the answer to that. Those that have never played the game, really don't know what they are talking about. I'm completely convinced if Manny played for the Yanks or Redsox, he would have missed between 2 games and none.

I played juco and Divison 1 baseball in the 80's. For the record, I have been thrown at intentionally before in my life. Throwing at guys is bullcrap IMO. It's Ok to brush someone back, but iintentionally throwing at someone is wrong. That said, Machado's response to being pushed off the plate was to throw a bat on he field. IMO, his response to the brush back pitches is unacceptable. Further, I played for a long time and throwing a bat in anger was always a punishable offense (ejection, benching, etc.) This is not some politically correct argument, Machado was wrong and he needs to be punished. The fact that you can't accept this and imply a bias against the Orioles regarding the suspension leads me to believe that you are the one that is completely clueless.

I kinda agree on the suspension being reduced if he were a Yankee.

So basically you think we should just ignore it when one of our players acts inappropriately and cheer them on? Manny screwed the pooch on this one and pretending like he did not does him and the fans a disservice. That does not mean we don't still love the kid, I am pretty sure the vast majority including myself have nothing but high hopes for him as a player and person.

Oh I agree he should be suspended. I just think that five games is too much. I

really think that if he were on the Yankees or BoSox it would treated differently.

BINGO! He's young, he screwed up. He is getting what he deserved (maybe even a light sentence). I'm sure he has learned from this.

He threw the bat at the third baseman. I suspect he thought Donaldson was still out there. Anyway I have no idea why you are defending Machado. He deserved to be suspended. 5 games is nothing in a Major League Baseball season.

He did the crime he is getting justly punished. Hopefully he learns from this and doesn't act like he did in the Athletics series again. If he does then you think about moving him.

Right, despite the fact that they, you know, announce things like position player changes, Manny would be unable to identify someone 90 ft away from him.

And I am not defending Machado, I am upset that MLB decided that now was a good time to take unprecedented action in suspending a player for actions that took place two days prior and did not result in an ejection from the game.

If they could suspend Machado one game for his actions Friday why not suspend Abad for his actions Sunday?

Manny on the suspension, from this morning's SUN:

"It's very disappointing. I'm not going to stand here and smile about it and be excited about missing five games,? said Machado, whose suspension started Monday night against the Texas Rangers and will continue through Friday?s game in Boston. Just go about it, put it behind us and serve the five games."

"I didn't throw the bat at the pitcher. I didn't harm anybody. And I'm going to get five games. I didn't charge the mound. I didn't get in a fight," Machado said. "But it is what it is, and now I have to serve the five games, and we are going to be down a man. And I'm not going to be able to help my team in these key games that are coming up going into that Boston series."

"It just [stinks]. I was starting to feel a little better at the plate and here they come with that bomb, five games," he said. "But you can't do nothing about it. It was going to come."

"That's what [stinks] about this whole thing. I've got to stay here and watch the games and know I can't be out there on the field trying to help my team whichever way," he said. "But I have a strong feeling. We're a great team, and we're going to put this behind us and go out there and battle."

Hmmm, not a lot of remorse, regret, or contrition; mostly just disappointment/anger that the Big Bad MLB stuck to their guns and sat him for 5 games. How about taking responsibility for your own foolishness, there, Manny? This suspension, contrary to some of your statements ("I didn't throw the bat at the pitcher. I didn't harm anybody. I didn't charge the mound. I didn't get in a fight" - no, but you THREW A BAT ON TO THE FIELD!), was not drummed up out of thin air.

I know he's frustrated, but these quotes are just a little disappointing.

Be cool if we win all 5 games.

Yea, but then we'd have the inevitable thread about how it really, truly, no kidding makes sense to permanently move Davis to third, Pearce to first, and trade Manny for a mythical TOR starter, I know they won't do it because they never think outside the box but it would mean we'll win 97 games and go the World Series.

I think there's growing evidence that Manny is very immature. I didn't like his comments in the offseason about his contract, I didn't like his actions in the Oakland series, and I don't like his comments in the paper this morning. I know he's young and all that jazz, but he's not 15 years old, and that's what he sounds like to me. I agree strongly with VaTech's assessment...it was strong punishment, but this is ultimately all on Manny. His behavior was reckless and incredibly stupid and it sounds like he didn't learn anything. Who knows what was said in the hearing? Judging from his performance with the media so far there's a good chance he did himself no favors in the appeal hearing.

I still like Manny and am rooting hard for him, but I'm very disappointed in his behavior.

Right, despite the fact that they, you know, announce things like position player changes, Manny would be unable to identify someone 90 ft away from him.

And I am not defending Machado, I am upset that MLB decided that now was a good time to take unprecedented action in suspending a player for actions that took place two days prior and did not result in an ejection from the game.

If they could suspend Machado one game for his actions Friday why not suspend Abad for his actions Sunday?

The Abad thing is another argument. If you think Abad should be suspended t has nhing to do with Machado. I think that is the whole problem with the Orioles and Machado's argument. Instead of saying this guy got suspended this many games in the past and this guy should besuspended as well they should have focused on what Machado did.

Their argument is something a 4th grader would use. Your punished for your actions and that has nothing to do with someone elses punishment. Really he intentionally threw the bat at players, 5 games is too short of a puishment. If an Athletic player did the same thing you would be calling for his head.

I love the O's but not their fans. Wow. You guys are a small sample size and I would love to think not all of the O's fans like to attack their own players.

I don't like to attack our own players but he has Baltimore on the front of his jersey. He should act in a professional manner while wearing the jersey.

And to some extent off the field. I am not one to get on players for every drunken escapade but if they are dog fighting, beating their girlfriend unconscious, or shooting people that is not acceptable either.

The Abad thing is another argument. If you think Abad should be suspended t has nhing to do with Machado. I think that is the whole problem with the Orioles and Machado's argument. Instead of saying this guy got suspended this many games in the past and this guy should besuspended as well they should have focused on what Machado did.

Their argument is something a 4th grader would use. Your punished for your actions and that has nothing to do with someone elses punishment. Really he intentionally threw the bat at players, 5 games is too short of a puishment. If an Athletic player did the same thing you would be calling for his head.

So you are saying that MLB should not use precedents in punishing players for various infractions? One guy throws a bat at a pitcher then charges the mound he gets four games but Manny should get 10 games for throwing the bat on the field of play? (I have yet to see any evidence that shows Manny aimed the bat at a player.)

So you would be OK with Ortiz not getting suspended for busting up that phone last year but if say Jones does it and gets a 8 game suspension? And then maybe Ortiz does it again next year and gets nothing again? After all you have to look at each case separately right?

That is complete nonsense even from you.

Archived