Gonzo being offered as trade piece.

Redskins Rick

Gonzalez has proven himself to be a legit member of a MLB starting rotation (I think he may have even won a game for us in the postseason in 2012). Trading him (as part of a package) for anything less than a legit TOR starter would be dumb IMO. I don't think Dan would do it.

He would have won Game 3 in NYY if not for the Johnson blown save. He was awesome.

I agree with what others have said - trading Gonzo for anything other than a clear upgrade in the rotation would be foolish. And I do not think that is available to us.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't imagine any reason why we would trade Gonzalez either, unless for an undeniable #1 or #2 which wouldn't happen.

Aside from the 3 starts immediately off the DL, Gonzalez has been excellent for the past 2 months plus. I would be disappointed to see him traded OR pushed to the bullpen.

Gonzalez has proven himself to be a legit member of a MLB starting rotation (I think he may have even won a game for us in the postseason in 2012). Trading him (as part of a package) for anything less than a legit TOR starter would be dumb IMO. I don't think Dan would do it.

Gonzalez is 30 years old and has a WAR this year of .2. I don't think that is going to get you a Top of the rotation starter anyway you slice it. I guess if we trade for a top starter you could throw in Gonzalez as you would have no place for him on the team. But he is not going to be the centerpiece of any trade.

After seeing Jake and Hammel go from mediocre competitors to dominating in the NL, I think there may exist more value with Gonzo to other organizations than he is being given credit for here - though we are passing along a cost-controlled pitcher in Gonzo if we move him now.

We are going to have six SP available if we trade Gonzo for a pitcher which seems very similar to the situation we have now. The clearest area of need is at 2B. If we could move Gonzo for a strong offensive upgrade there, that might be a good move.

Gonzalez is 30 years old and has a WAR this year of .2. I don't think that is going to get you a Top of the rotation starter anyway you slice it. I guess if we trade for a top starter you could throw in Gonzalez as you would have no place for him on the team. But he is not going to be the centerpiece of any trade.

He's put together 5.3 WAR in 64 games. He's making ~$500k. He's under control until 2018. He's been effective in the AL East...and despite a couple duds this season he's been pretty damn solid for the Orioles.

I'm a huge Gonzo homer obviously, but what about the past east failures of a guy like Burnett and Kennedy (much SSS and younger, but still) suggests that they'll survive in the now resurgent AL BEast. The Yankee Slayer has proven that he can deal in the division.

Take a peak at what Phil McCracken Hughes is doing in MSP to see how successful pitchers are outside the division.

I will always be a fan. Even if he is moved for an upgrade.

He is not the type of high upside value that a contending team looks for. He could be an anchor of a rotation for a loser.

I can't imagine the team landing an Ian Kennedy type starter with just Gonzalez.

I think it's just me, but I am completely missing the part where Kennedy ALONE is an uptick from Gonzo....

Career ERA's MG 3.69, IK 3.95

WHIP 1.274, 1.262

ERA+ 111, 100

Please tell me what I am missing. I think I am among a shrinking group that does NOT think Gonzo is the problem here.

I could see Gonzo traded in a package for an upgrade in the pen and a replacement for him as spot starter and long man. Remember when Ubaldo comes back that is likely to be Gonzo's role, whether he deserves it to be or not.

The deal makes more sense if it's gonzo + for Kennedy and Benoit. Our bullpen would be lights out. And since we don't have a true ace, in the playoffs we could go to our pen in the 6th inning every game. Plus Benoit would provide us insurance in case we can't re sign O'day.

I would trade Gonzo and either Bundy or Harvey for Cole Hamels and Chase Utley.

That's a nice sentiment but a complete fantasy. There is ZERO chance that Pete would sign off on the 100 million or so that Hamels has on his contract (rightly so IMO). Hamels and Utley's money? Better chance of the Sun exploding tomorrow.

I think it's just me, but I am completely missing the part where Kennedy ALONE is an uptick from Gonzo....

Career ERA's MG 3.69, IK 3.95

WHIP 1.274, 1.262

ERA+ 111, 100

Please tell me what I am missing. I think I am among a shrinking group that does NOT think Gonzo is the problem here.

Ian Kennedy is a better pitcher than Gonzalez and this year he's in an entirely different league.

2014(Ian)

FIP:2.98

xFIP: 3.24

K/9: 9.53

BB/9:2.57

fWAR: 2.3

2014(Miguel)

FIP:5.25

xFIP:4.60

K/9: 6.98

BB/9:3.24

fWAR:0.2

2012-2014(Ian)

FIP:3.97

xFIP:3.93

K/9:8.45

BB/9:2.86

IP:519.0

2012-2014(Miguel)

FIP:4.62

xFIP:4.47

K/9:6.55

BB/9:2.95

IP:365.67

In 2014, among all pitchers who have thrown 80+ innings, Miguel's 5.25FIP is the 3rd worst in baseball while his xFIP has been 8th worst.Ian Kennedy's 2.98FIP is 16th best in baseball with his 3.24xFIP being 21st.

Archived