Zach Britton - No need for a closer

brianod

I remember a great deal of enthusiasm for Britton almost from day one of spring training. During the off season? You have a point.

Yeah, I remember a lot of talk on this board proposing Zach as closer. (Admittedly, I was skeptical). Nobody in the media was talking about Zach until Tommy started losing games in May, but folks on this board were all over it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankly, I don't even think that's true. I just read a 5 page thread from 2/6. No one was writing Britton off or giving up on him. I'd like to see the evidence to support the claim that the consensus gave up on Britton.

Quoted from RZNJ dated 12-05-2013. Link below.

I'm all for giving guys chances but if Zach Britton is the front runner for the 5th spot, I'd be surprised. He wasn't even very good in AAA last year. I see no reason why he would be a front runner. He's lucky if he has as good a chance as the others.

The others refer to Steve Johnson and Kevin Gausman.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/137731-Steve-Johnson-The-Forgotten-Man?p=3330674#post3330674

The consensus was that he was a failed starter and should be given up on before he started throwing lights out in Spring training. Of course, after a few outings in Spring, everyone was for keeping him to see what we have. But, before that, guys wanted to dump him, much like Arrieta. I'm don't really care about that part of it, my point is that we are so very lucky to have a guy that was on the bubble before spring turn into a lights out closer. I'm not in to winning arguments, that doesn't matter, I'm in to rooting for the O's and I'm enjoying the hell out of our good fortune.

The consensus was that he was a failed starter and should be given up on before he started throwing lights out in Spring training. Of course, after a few outings in Spring, everyone was for keeping him to see what we have. But, before that, guys wanted to dump him, much like Arrieta. I'm don't really care about that part of it, my point is that we are so very lucky to have a guy that was on the bubble before spring turn into a lights out closer. I'm not in to winning arguments, that doesn't matter, I'm in to rooting for the O's and I'm enjoying the hell out of our good fortune.

I want to see the Orioles do it again.

It could be a really brilliant and cheap way to build a great bullpen. Find a trash starter with a niche who can exploit it for one or two innings. This seems to happen all the time, so many of the best relievers were bum starters.

I want to see the Orioles do it again.

It could be a really brilliant and cheap way to build a great bullpen. Find a trash starter with a niche who can exploit it for one or two innings. This seems to happen all the time, so many of the best relievers were bum starters.

Exactly why I'm not giving up on Matusz and was very happy to see Webb go down. Webb has been our worst reliever overall. Not giving up on him either but we have so many good relievers that we need to create competition and reward what work, keeping in mind who has options and who doesn't

Exactly why I'm not giving up on Matusz and was very happy to see Webb go down. Webb has been our worst reliever overall. Not giving up on him either but we have so many good relievers that we need to create competition and reward what work, keeping in mind who has options and who doesn't

Webb would have easily been the best or second best reliever on tens of those 1998-2011 teams. Which really puts it in perspective for me. This is like the A's trading Milone for being their 8th best starter. Seems like we rarely have a surplus of anything.

Also, this post was in response to those who wanted to sign Koji and move Britton to setup. I think DD absolutely nailed this. Keep a dominant closer closing and give up a good but not great prospect for a dominant setup man. Now, we have O'Day, Hunter, Miller and Matusz as options, not to mention the young guys who are doing well. Now, we need one more move imo, we need a tad more offense if we can get it without a steep cost.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitchers who had the fastest average velos in July (50 pitches min)

A. Chapman (97.7mph)

J. McGee (95.9)

K. Herrera (95.7)

Z. Britton (94.8)</p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitchers who had the fastest average velos in July (50 pitches min)

A. Chapman (97.7mph)

J. McGee (95.9)

K. Herrera (95.7)

Z. Britton (94.8)</p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Helps when you throw 92% fastballs.

Helps when you throw 92% fastballs.

I highly doubt Zach has been throwing 92% fastballs. That sounds like a lack of pitch recognition by the guys tracking it. Also, the most effective pitch in all of baseball is a well placed fastball, so it it aint broke, don't fix it. I would think it's around 75% and I would guess he should keep doing it.

Also, this post was in response to those who wanted to sign Koji and move Britton to setup. I think DD absolutely nailed this. Keep a dominant closer closing and give up a good but not great prospect for a dominant setup man. Now, we have O'Day, Hunter, Miller and Matusz as options, not to mention the young guys who are doing well. Now, we need one more move imo, we need a tad more offense if we can get it without a steep cost.

Only after failing in his attempts to acquire a prominent, high-priced closer that was on the market. Of course, I'm glad that didn't work out.

Zach is going to be our closer for sometime to come, which is a good thing, IMO.

He needs a nickname now .... I vote for McNasty ... that power sinker is just plain nasty

Ehhh ...

I'll stick with Z.B. for the moment.

Great Britton.

Another 1-2-3 save with a one run lead. Simply the best closer we have had in a long time. JJ saved a ton of games of the last 2 years but he was Don StanhouseESQ.

You need to consider 2012 and 2013 separately. JJ was fantastic in 2012 and bite no resemblance at all to Don Stanhouse. He blew three saves all year, and we won two of them. He had many easy saves. Simply put, we would not have made the playoffs if he hadn't been so outstanding. Last year was a different story and JJ not only blew 9 saves, but a number of others were nail biters.

Archived