Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

If you are running with the assumption that all Oriole prospects will eventually suck and should be traded for established players, how do you deal with the fact that the O's payroll will exceed their budget in, oh, about 45 seconds? Hold bake sales? Regular fire sales? Blackmail the Angelos family until they agree to pretend the team can support a much higher payroll?

We have had a Bankrupt Orioles before.

On all the other pitchers, the deals started with Gausman. We did not have the MLB ready talent that was required and Schoop was not of value. Look at who was dealt. These were not A ball projects. They were real dudes. Except for the Price sweetener. Most all the players were major leaguers.

No way! So you're trying me teams were interested in proven vets rather than our in house prospects that some Os fans think arent even worth trading in the first place.

What's that tell you about what other teams think if our prospects? Not as good as yall think, maybe?

No way! So you're trying me teams were interested in proven vets rather than our in house prospects that some Os fans think arent even worth trading in the first place.

What's that tell you about what other teams think if our prospects? Not as good as yall think, maybe?

Maybe just Maybe, they are not as bad as you think.

Maybe just Maybe, they are not as bad as you think.

I don't think there bad. I actually don't think nothing of them until they are in a acrual Os uni.

What I do think about them, is everyone on here makes these guys out to BE SOOO GOOD, so I would think they would be good trade bait. But I guess not.

I don't think there bad. I actually don't think nothing of them until they are in a acrual Os uni.

What I do think about them, is everyone on here makes these guys out to BE SOOO GOOD, so I would think they would be good trade bait. But I guess not.

Good trade bait, if they are desperate.

This team isn't desperate enough to trade away the future for now.

So your plan is to trade all of these prospects that you know are overhyped and overrated for established stars?

Idk why u guys jeep saying " so you want to trade the whole farm ehhahhh" blah blah. Yall can stop putting words into my mouth whenevrr you feel like it.

Yall do it to try and make a point about you feelings towards the situation because all yall can tell me is that they are too good to trade. Yet no one wants them.

Idk why u guys jeep saying " so you want to trade the whole farm ehhahhh" blah blah. Yall can stop putting words into my mouth whenevrr you feel like it.

Yall do it to try and make a point about you feelings towards the situation because all yall can tell me is that they are too good to trade. Yet no one wants them.

Based on what? Your opinion.

How do you know what teams were asking of DD?

I'm not a fan of trading a potential starter for a decent reliever (and a rental at that). For those unaware, here is what Fangraphs said in January:

The Year in Review: The Venezuelan southpaw split the 2013 between High-A and Double-A. He showed above-average control for his age while walking 49 batters with 125 strikeouts in 145.0 combined innings. After he made 25 minor league starts during the regular season, Rodriguez compiled another five starts in the Arizona Fall League but was hit around a bit and posted a 5.52 ERA with 16 hits allowed in 14.2 innings of work.

The Scouting Report: Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman are names that are fairly well known among well educated fans around baseball but Rodriguez has yet to gain similar notoriety despite having the talent to challenge them in the rankings. He has an above-average fastball for a southpaw and it can hit the mid-90s with excellent movement. Both his slider and changeup should be above-average — if not plus — offerings for him when he reaches his full potential.

The Year Ahead: The experience in the AFL could convince the Orioles to push the lefty to Triple-A if he has a strong spring. Both Gausman and Rodriguez could be in Baltimore’s starting rotation in the second half of 2014. A healthy Bundy will likely join them in 2015, and them will potentially give them a stellar 1-2-3 pitching punch.

The Career Outlook: Rodriguez has the ceiling of a No. 2 or 3 starter but he’ll likely slot into the Orioles’ No. 3 slot in the future with the other young, talented arms also reaching the Majors around the same time as him. It could soon be a very good time to be an O’s fan.

What? They grow #3 starters on trees? Then why does a 2-WAR average starter command $10M a year for 2, 3, 4 years in free agency? If the Orioles thought it was a near-lock that Rodriguez was going to be a mid-rotation starter they certainly wouldn't have done this deal. To replace six years of a 2-win starter on the free agent market you'd have to spend about $70M, while Rodriguez will cost maybe $12-15M before he hits free agency. Two months of Miller might be worth $5M if he's great.

That this trade happened tells me Duquette thinks Rodriguez is most likely to become a reliever worth 0.5 a win a year. He'll still technically lose the trade unless Miller is a really key piece to a Championship run, but it won't be an ugly loss. It'll be 3 or 4 wins to 1, instead of 8 or 12 to 1 if he turns into Bud Norris or something.

DD seems to find them on trees. We have a whole rotation full of MOR pitchers that ERod is projected to be, who are all cost controlled and making under $11M combined. The front office has proven they can find value compared to what they are paying. Why is it assumed they would have to go after a free agent and not find another Miguel Gonzalez, Chen, or Norris? Don't understand why people are willing to forego a chance to strengthen our chances for a playoff run THIS year, for a player who potentially provides us a low impact in a couple years, that we can reasonably find on the cheap.