You have to trade for a new 3B, right?

JohnD

To state/summarize the obvious. Third base was an Oriole strength. It's now a weakness, with the current options being an unproductive hitter (Flaherty), a potential slugger with limited 3B experience who just doesn't look like a third baseman (Crush), and weakening two positions by moving Schoop to 3B and promoting one of the AAAA guys to play 2B. :confused:

There's some disagreement about what we'd like to acquire to fill this gap, but my objective would be someone with 3B experience and a better-than average-bat (preferably LH), who can be acquired without mortgaging much of the future, who isn't paid a whole lot, and (because I like Hardy) who will become disposable after we win the World Series or, in the worst case, when Manny returns next spring.

Could we re-acquire Danny Valencia on the cheap as Toronto's post-season chances recede and the Jays look to the future? He bats right and is not terrific at the plate (a .717 OPS, but with a .331 OPS -- those numbers are higher since he joined Toronto). He'd be a modest upgrade at a modest cost.

What about Steve Tolleson?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
J.J. Hardy is a free agent after this season. So you could move Machado to shortstop and keep Beltre at third base starting next year.

So who is the short stop for the first month or two. Manny was not ready this year. Same surgery a couple weeks earlier.

So who is the short stop for the first month or two. Manny was not ready this year. Same surgery a couple weeks earlier.
Manny had his last year's surgery in mid Oct. By my math that's a little more than a couple of weeks. More like at least 6-8 weeks.

Despite the lip service, yes we need to make some move. For all the posters saying "look at the standings"....record is a measure of past performance, now future performance.

This team has no true ace and now you take one of the strongest points of our team (3b) and make it a weakness. No matter how you slice it, we have an uphill climb.

Having said that, anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette said trade options for 3B are limited because its difficult to get players thru trade waivers at this point of the season. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">August 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let me preface this with, I love what DD and Buck have done. However, they both specifically said that not making a deal at the trade deadline was no big deal because 'A ton of moves could be made through waivers". Now we get this. Stop, just stop. Not having Manny may not kill us but going and getting Beltre will help us kill others. I think Beltre makes us a significant WS contender. I'm over the "Smoke screens" that the Front Office is having. It's tiring, annoying, and our beat writers don't do anything to try and get information.

I'm not sure what you're taking issue with. A ton of moves probably can be made but that doesn't necessarily equate to replacing your 22 year old platinum glove winning 3b, especially when everybody and their mother knows you need to replace him.

I'm not sure what you're taking issue with. A ton of moves probably can be made but that doesn't necessarily equate to replacing your 22 year old platinum glove winning 3b, especially when everybody and their mother knows you need to replace him.

I am just taking issue to the fact that the Front Office specifically said deals can be done past trade deadline and now they are saying it's really hard to make deals. That's all. As I said, I like what we have done.

Dan isn't going to say "yeah, obviously we desperately need someone and fast" : that might hurt the leverage:) truth is, he might not be able to do anything but there is no way he isn't going to do his best.

I think a real 3B makes a play on the ball that Davis just picked up in the 2nd inning today. And this is gonna happen the rest of year teams are gonna bunt and test him.

Dan isn't going to say "yeah, obviously we desperately need someone and fast" : that might hurt the leverage:) truth is, he might not be able to do anything but there is no way he isn't going to do his best.

I agree but GM's know we are desperate for a 3B man.

Hardy is a free agent, and the idea was that Machado would move to shortstop once he left. With Machado’s knee issues, though, it’s not yet clear whether he will be able to handle the move to a tougher spot on the diamond.

Jesus H. Christ, when will this kind of talk end? Jetting Hardy to move Machado to SS when there is no 3B ready is stupid stupid stupid!

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

sorry.

Jesus H. Christ, when will this kind of talk end? Jetting Hardy to move Machado to SS when there is no 3B ready is stupid stupid stupid!

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

sorry.

That quote is in response to a question about what to do if Beltre was on this team next year, so there would be a 3B on the team.

Archived