You have to trade for a new 3B, right?

JohnD

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we trade for Beltre and offer a PTBNL... like, Beltre? Are we allowed to trade for him now by offering the Rangers Beltre + cash back after the season?

:D

Apparently it is possible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_to_be_named_later

I was just reading this out loud, and my son wondered if the are any players actually named Later. :laughlol:

Can we trade for Beltre and offer a PTBNL... like, Beltre? Are we allowed to trade for him now by offering the Rangers Beltre + cash back after the season?

As far as I know, a PTNBL cannot play in the major leagues during the time between the trade and the PTNBL changing teams. Maybe that's changed. I don't know.

I didn't say anything about whether I'd give up those players, but I do take issue with the idea that Texas has no reason to trade Beltre. That simply isn't true. As with everything else, it comes down to price. But Texas has plenty of reasons to trade Beltre if they receive an offer that's appealing in their estimation.
What players of ours besides the ones I mentioned would TEX have reason to trade for. As I keep telling you they are not rebuilding, they expect to get healthy and compete next year. They will want ML ready SP and a bat or two to replace Beltre, one of their best bats.

What players of ours besides the ones I mentioned would TEX have reason to trade for. As I keep telling you they are not rebuilding, they expect to get healthy and compete next year. They will want ML ready SP and a bat or two to replace Beltre, one of their best bats.

I know that they don't plan to rebuild, but I don't think that trading a 3B who turns 36 next April, and who's having another great season despite seeing his power slip (ever so slightly) for the second straight year, puts them in a "rebuilding" mode. Again, they have defensible, sensible reasons to trade Beltre if they find the right deal.

I will say, however, that I got my wires crossed earlier in thinking that they had Kris Bryant in their system, when they actually have Joey Gallo. Bryant is closer to the majors than Gallo (Gallo is two years younger than Bryant, and he's probably another year away from the majors), so the "quick fix" for the Rangers at 3B isn't what I thought it was initially.

All that said, I think you're underestimating the appeal of $18 million in salary relief that they could use to address other needs like SP, etc., this winter. I agree that the cost from the Orioles' perspective would likely be too high to make a deal sensible, but I'd like to hear something in the media about what that cost might actually be before declaring it excessive with any degree of certainty.

Just can't see the O's getting Beltre. I'd love Trevor Plouffe. Doubtful. Conor Gillaspie. Doubtful. I think the only realistic option is Casey McGehee. And even that's not a sure thing.

If the O's got Beltre, I'd eat my shoe.

At this stage you have to assume that no good player at a cheap contract will clear waivers. Supposedly Beltre did clear waivers though (perhaps because of his high price), so he may be the only target out there who would represent a substantial upgrade at 3B.

I think you have to strongly consider trading for Beltre if you can get him for just one of Bundy or Harvey along with some middling prospects. He's a great player having a great season. He'd be a huge upgrade over Chris Davis defensively. How often do you have a chance to win a world series?

I know that they don't plan to rebuild, but I don't think that trading a 3B who turns 36 next April, and who's having another great season despite seeing his power slip (ever so slightly) for the second straight year, puts them in a "rebuilding" mode. Again, they have defensible, sensible reasons to trade Beltre if they find the right deal.

I will say, however, that I got my wires crossed earlier in thinking that they had Kris Bryant in their system, when they actually have Joey Gallo. Bryant is closer to the majors than Gallo (Gallo is two years younger than Bryant, and he's probably another year away from the majors), so the "quick fix" for the Rangers at 3B isn't what I thought it was initially.

All that said, I think you're underestimating the appeal of $18 million in salary relief that they could use to address other needs like SP, etc., this winter. I agree that the cost from the Orioles' perspective would likely be too high to make a deal sensible, but I'd like to hear something in the media about what that cost might actually be before declaring it excessive with any degree of certainty.

So far the only reason you give for trading Beltre is salary relief. Can you demonstrate that TEX is strapped for cash. How badly do they need SP? Why can't they bid on one of the FA SP? Why would they trade one of their best players when they are in go for it mode next year? If they were the Phillies I could see it. So what are all these reasons they would have for trading him? Can you name a few?

So far the only reason you give for trading Beltre is salary relief. Can you demonstrate that TEX is strapped for cash. How badly do they need SP? Why can't they bid on one of the FA SP? Why would they trade one of their best players when they are in go for it mode next year? If they were the Phillies I could see it. So what are all these reasons they would have for trading him? Can you name a few?

They would trade him to acquire talent. If they, absolutely hands down, were not even remotely considering trading him, why put him through waivers at all?

It seems obvious (to me) that we should offer Manny Machado for Beltre.

I don't see Manny with his defective knees having a long ML career, but perhaps the Ranger would take a chance that he can still reach his early promise.

A lot of things about Manny have bothered me this year.

1. Mouthing off about his salary, when it's exactly what every player for decades has gone through

2. The Oakland incident.

3. The knee surgery decisions made apparently independent of the O's doctors. I have no proof but I get the feeling that the O's thought his knee would be sound enough to come back and make a go of it to help the team in a playoff run. Manny seemed to go in a different direction wanting to do the surgery to be able to get back to 100% next year and maximize his eventual run at the big money of free agency. All conjecture on my point, but I don't get the feeling that Manny is a team first kind of guy.

They would trade him to acquire talent. If they, absolutely hands down, were not even remotely considering trading him, why put him through waivers at all?
Most players are waived in August for a variety of reasons. Acquire talent, what talent, to what end? Yeah they could use a couple of front end SP's. So they might trade him for Tillman and Gausman. But Bundy and Harvey aren't likely to help them much next year.

DD needs to try to obtain Beltre. The money is there to pay him in the future and we should make every effort to win it all this year. I'm not saying to give up two or three pitchers for him but I would include at least one of them in a deal. Not having Manny at the top of the lineup weakens the team's ability to score runs and I think his loss has resulted in the team coming out flat this weekend against the Cubs. Hopefully they can get a win on Sunday.

Archived