If Coby Mayo Can Play Average ML 3B Defense

RZNJ

That is a big hypothetical and I know how many of you will struggle to accept the premise.  BUT, if Mayo can handle 3B everything else could fall into place by next year.   That allows Kjerstad to take over RF when Santander leaves.  It leaves Mountcastle at 1B with Basallo in waiting.   O’Hearn to get another year at DH.  And either Westburg or Holliday at 2B.  Here’s the kicker.  Why not attempt to turn Westburg or Holliday into a CF?

The Padres had no problem doing that with their #1 SS prospect.  Both Westburg (28.7) and Holliday (28.8) show better sprint speed than Merrill (28.0) or Mullins (27.7).   Merrill already has a +3 OAA so it looks to be a success so far.    

This would allow the Orioles to solve one of their biggest questions.   Who succeeds Cedric and will they be ready by OD 2026?

It also puts all of our top guys comfortably in one spot.  Logjam solved.

1B Basallo

2B Holliday (only because Holliday supporters get more upset than Westburg’s)

SS Henderson

3B Mayo

C Rutschman 

LF Cowser

CF Westburg

RF Kjerstad

DH Whoever

You’re welcome!

• Upvote 4

You're definitely asking the right question--how can we get all of Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, Kjerstad, Cowser and Gunnar into the everyday lineup going forward, without having to relegate one of them to 1B or DH?  

In terms of athleticism it seems that Westburg or Holliday could handle CF, but obviously there is a lot to learn about playing the OF and a lot of uncertainty about whether they could get the hang of it.  For now it seems unlikely that the O's would experiment with that during a game as long as McKenna is around to spell Cedric Mullins.  Would be a cool thing to try next spring training though.  

14 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

You're definitely asking the right question--how can we get all of Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, Kjerstad, Cowser and Gunnar into the everyday lineup going forward, without having to relegate one of them to 1B or DH?  

In terms of athleticism it seems that Westburg or Holliday could handle CF, but obviously there is a lot to learn about playing the OF and a lot of uncertainty about whether they could get the hang of it.  For now it seems unlikely that the O's would experiment with that during a game as long as McKenna is around to spell Cedric Mullins.  Would be a cool thing to try next spring training though.  

First of all, I don’t see why putting Mayo(for example) at first is a bad thing.

We can keep asking these questions but the reality is that it’s all going to revolve around Holliday And Gunnar.  Basallo being able to stay at C is also part of this as well.  If he can be the back up C, that’s enormous.

Where they ultimately end up dictates everything else.

What’s not happening is Westburg being moved to some kind of a super UTI role.  He’s a starter 

Mayo probably ends up as a part time first baseman, part time RFer and part time DH..while perhaps getting the rare 3rd base start.

This is where the Os push for versatility will be helpful.

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That is a big hypothetical and I know how many of you will struggle to accept the premise.  BUT, if Mayo can handle 3B everything else could fall into place by next year.   That allows Kjerstad to take over RF when Santander leaves.  It leaves Mountcastle at 1B with Basallo in waiting.   O’Hearn to get another year at DH.  And either Westburg or Holliday at 2B.  Here’s the kicker.  Why not attempt to turn Westburg or Holliday into a CF?

The Padres had no problem doing that with their #1 SS prospect.  Both Westburg (28.7) and Holliday (28.8) show better sprint speed than Merrill (28.0) or Mullins (27.7).   Merrill already has a +3 OAA so it looks to be a success so far.    

This would allow the Orioles to solve one of their biggest questions.   Who succeeds Cedric and will they be ready by OD 2026?

It also puts all of our top guys comfortably in one spot.  Logjam solved.

1B Basallo

2B Holliday (only because Holliday supporters get more upset than Westburg’s)

SS Henderson

3B Mayo

C Rutschman 

LF Cowser

CF Westburg

RF Kjerstad

DH Whoever

You’re welcome!

It’s more likely that Holliday would end up in the OF than Westburg. Westy is the better defender, Holliday the more athletic and more likely the easier transition given age.

I’ve long speculated that Holliday could end up in the OF and think that his physical skills could actually play in CF. 

1 minute ago, now said:

Connor Norby says hi.

I like Norby but he’s striking out a ton and pull happy this year.   I’d like to see him get back on track.  

I don't see Kjerstad as a Major League OF, unfortunately. He looks pretty bad out there so far. My guess is ultimately he's a DH who gets an occasional spot-start in the OF (and has to be subbed out in close games to preserve a lead).

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I can’t see moving Westburg off of infield. His glove is to good. 

Play Mayo in RF.  

This is where I'm at. It's a creative OP, but I think RF has a little more competition post-Santander than we might think. I'm not ready to hand it to Kjerstad just yet.

Just now, interloper said:

This is where I'm at. It's a creative OP, but I think RF has a little more competition post-Santander than we might think. I'm not ready to hand it to Kjerstad just yet.

Plus you can always use DH to play some guys even with Adley hitting there a good bit. Another reason I like Mayo in the OF is the rest of guys are LHH minus Hays who may not here past this year.  

Infield defense of Westburg- Gunnar-Holliday would be very good. 

I do think the next area of some concern is CF. I think Cowser could handle it but would be better served in LF. Perhaps Elias when the time is needed finds a glove first CF fo complement the roster. 

I know @RZNJ have had our disagreements over this topic in the past. But I would say, it all depends on who you think is the better defender between Westburg and Mayo for 3B? Who you think is the better defensive infielder between Holliday and Mayo.? And who is the better RF between Mayo and Kjerstad? - Ultimately the answer to these questions will determine where guys end up playing?

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Plus you can always use DH to play some guys even with Adley hitting there a good bit. Another reason I like Mayo in the OF is the rest of guys are LHH minus Hays who may not here past this year.  

Infield defense of Westburg- Gunnar-Holliday would be very good. 

I do think the next area of some concern is CF. I think Cowser could handle it but would be better served in LF. Perhaps Elias when the time is needed finds a glove first CF fo complement the roster. 

I could see Elias trading for a backup outfielder who can competently play CF so Mullins isn't forced to start every game or in the event he has an IL stint. Cowser can play CF, but I don't think it's ideal in any extended stretch. McKenna is the best player on the roster suited to playing CF even with his limitations as a player.

If McKenna keeps hitting well that might change the equation.

The dream '26 alignment is something like Gunnar 3B/Holliday SS/Westburg 2B/Mayo 1B. If Holliday isn't SS (which is looking perhaps more likely), we could still accomodate all four via Gunnar SS/Westburg 3B/Holliday 2B/Mayo 1B. The question is how to get there and find AB's for everyone as long as O'Hearn/Mountcastle, Santander, and Urias/Mateo are on the team. 

Not sure about this year, but next year, I could see Mayo playing a super sub role splitting time in RF with Kjerstad, 1B/DH with O'Hearn/Mountcastle, and 3B with Westburg. 

Then in '26 things open up with O'Hearn and Mountcastle gone, as well as Mateo.

Westburg has been impressive at 2B, so I'd really hate to move him. If we are going to move Westburg or Holliday to outfield, why would we move the guy who is already playing 2B at a high level?