Orioles acquire Alejandro de Aza

PaulFolk

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fangraphs has de Aza at 2.5 WAR on average between 2011-2013, but having a down year this year.

He's more depth for this season and gives them another COF option for 2015 with Cruz and Markakis up in the air.

I was thinking about this tonight - but I would sure like to get the band back together. Would love to see this team with Cruz, Marakakis, Hardy, and D. Young on it next year - add in Wieters and Machado for a full year and a resurgent Davis and it would be pretty awesome.

Not sure why people think Lough or Berry are better than De Aza. It isn't even close as a comparison. Go look at their numbers, De Aza will add value.

Yup...Berry is not even remotely close to De Aza...unless you think that minor league numbers translate equally to major league ones which is silly. Berry has some value but he is not even in sniffing range of De Aza

Yup...Berry is not even remotely close to De Aza...unless you think that minor league numbers translate equally to major league ones which is silly. Berry has some value but he is not even in sniffing range of De Aza

But you don't need to count on him to play. You just need him to pinch run.

If we had not made this move then that means Young has to play everday, unless you play someone else at 3rd and Pearce in LF. Delmon has done a real nice job but I like having the option to rest him or Pearce. I think this move makes a lot of sense.

I don't think Dan knows too much about this player. Aside from hitting 17 HR's last season, he's done pretty much nothing. He gets thrown out nearly as much as he's successful when stealing, he's a negative dWAR defender, and he's been worth a half a win this season with over 400 PA. David Lough would be a far more valuable player over 400 AB's then De Aza. I'm not worried about what they gave up, I think De Aza is a move to make a move.

That's funny, you don't think Dan put much thought into this move? The acquisition may not be that significant, but Duquette does his homework. For one it's already been pointed out that he's done well against some notable starters. Based on what he's done for us so far if Duquette thinks he can help, I'm fine with it.

That's funny, you don't think Dan put much thought into this move? The acquisition may not be that significant, but Duquette does his homework. For one it's already been pointed out that he's done well against some notable starters. Based on what he's done for us so far if Duquette thinks he can help, I'm fine with it.

He's said he's a good defender (not really), He's sounding like he thinks he's a power hitter (he's not) and he makes it sound like he's a good SB guy (he's not) he gets caught far too often to be effecient.

He's said he's a good defender (not really), He's sounding like he thinks he's a power hitter (he's not) and he makes it sound like he's a good SB guy (he's not) he gets caught far too often to be effecient.

You actually believe his public assessment is the same as what he thinks privately? He's been working on this deal for two weeks. I'm guessing he knows plenty about the player.

You actually believe his public assessment is the same as what he thinks privately? He's been working on this deal for two weeks. I'm guessing he knows plenty about the player.

People here seem to think Dan was being honest in his assessment, I mean, why would he lie? Does he think the fans are too stupid to go to BB-Ref and check De Aza out? I don't think so.

I remember De Aza killing us last year a few times.

If Paredes and Lew Ford can win us games, this guy sure as hell can too. Trust in Dan!

He's not killing anyone this year. He had a 2 HR game on 3/31, 1 HR on 4/3, 1 HR on 4/28, since 4/28 he's had 1 homer the rest of the season.

Archived